• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazon vs eBay

53 posts in this topic

Amazon pays every two weeks via direct deposit (although you can request disbursement sooner if you'd like after you've been established for a few weeks). I've never had it take more than 2-3 business days to hit my account.

I see Amazon as a good general sales channel. In the same way that these boards might be a better channel for certain items, or Libris might be for certain books (I don't know, I just search books on there) you can probably net more in other channels if you have a great deal of product knowledge and sales expertise. But Amazon allows you to sell anything over a huge timeframe. Just my 2c anyway.

That must be why it took so long to get my deposit then. It was the first time I had ever listed and sold something on there.

OK, here's the lowdown on the whole Amazon thing:

First, no, selling your ASM 300 for that amount was NOT a fluke. I've sold numerous comics on Amazon at a price I had never thought I'd get on eBay (Xmen 142/VF for 120, Cap america 100 in 3.5 non cgc for 80 etc etc) BUT the volume of sales is very low! I have about 2-300 listings and I get around 1 or 2 sales a week. If I were to sell at a high price rate every comic on Amazon I'd probably exhaust my collection at age 84 (and its not cause I keep buying constantly :-p)

The reason why I think shoppers tend to buy on Amazon is because for one, it's a bit more reputable and holds a higher standard and caters to a diff clientele not just your average comic book collector, shoppers see eBay as a giant flea market and Amazon as a "Best buy". Also, I hear from a lot of people who just hate dealing with pay-pal. So Amazon is a clear solution for costumers (and buyers)

Having said that, Amazon has many flaws: 1. Amazon fees are RIDICULOUS for the seller. One month I sold $800 worth of goods (not just comics) and got 605 out of that (!) True, they don't charge listing fees when you post, you can list endlessly, and as I mentioned, listing is a breeze! Find your item, add your listing- done! But when you sell an item you get zapped with all sorts of fees AND a final value fee!

2. For some reason, I get waaay many returns on Amazon than on eBay. I could never figure that one out, I had someone that bought asm 105 from me, and within minutes from the purchase said he changed his mind, the peakest of all peaks was a guy that ordered a DJ coffin from me (flight case for a DJ setup) for $150 (usually goes for 350), I packaged it and sent it fedex and it cost me 60 bucks to ship, and when he got it he returned it because he was under the impression that he is getting the ENTIRE SETUP (CD player, Mixer & laptop) for his $150. I wanted to murder the guy.

On eBay, let the record state, I've sold over 300 items, mostly comics, and never had a single return!

3. Amazon disbursements method. Hmmm, don't get me started on that one;

They wire your sales profits to your bank account assuming you provide them with your info of course- cool! But now- they don't pay you right away, they hold your sales profits for an average of 14 days AND each time you get a return, or use funds from your total sales for shipping- THEY TAKE IT FROM YOUR FIRST COMING INSTALLMENT. So, if your bank is currently at $800 and your first disbursement is on April 29th for the amount of $250, and you've shipped a couple of items and got zapped with an $80 return, guess what, that 250 is probably gonna be more like 150 if not less. NOT COOL

And as far as tax purposes, Youd have to provide them with all your tax info after you've sold more than 50 items.

Overall for me, Amazon is not a money making vehicle, it's cool, and I list both on eBay and Amazon, while I jack up the prices a bit on Amazon to cover for their ridiculous high commission rate. But so far it's not an alternative.

Never thought to sell my comics on Amazon.

If their fee on comics is 15%, seller has just to "consider" some extra $ to complete the shipment costs.

My 2c : I will try to list some comics on Amazon,and let's see what happens.

I have never did it before, so I have no idea how to start selling....Batman #1, for instance.

I used to be a buyer, 'til today. Hope to find out how to list my items and the payment terms.

Nice thread this! :news:

If one really wanted to "combine shipping," couldn't the seller and buyer work out an agreement where the seller partially re-imburses the buyer via PayPal, no matter if Amazon has any part of that or not?

If I were a buyer on Amazon, I would ask about just that if I were buying multiple items from the same seller.

But I am not, so... :shrug:

-slym

So I guess there are buyers on Amazon that pay way more than going prices.

Could simply have been a fluke. Buyer on ebay picked up a copy of Shazam #1 9.8 for $2,500 ( GPA @ around 200 ) this month. doh!:screwy:

Linky

Yeah, possibly so.

The guy who purchased the ASM told me he had been looking for a #300 for his collection for a long time. Maybe some people just don't like buying on Ebay

im one of those but usually ill just pay a bit of a premium here for certain books.

It is possible to partially refund money to the buyer and the seller can do it within the Amazon system, you don't have to do it through paypal, I always post on all of my listings that i combine shipping please contact me for info, but I never got anyone to request it lol.

I have over 500 items for sale on Amazon at any given time. I sell some items on eBay but I mainly switched over to Amazon because I get about 100 - 150 sales a week. It's really easy to get started. You can also ship your products to Amazon and they will package and ship them for you. So I send in about 40 or 50 items I'm selling and sit back and let Amazon do all the work and just collect the $$$. Of course they do charge a little more for that in fees but I dont have to do anything but watch the amount in my account go up.

Amazon deposits the money every two weeks on a Tuesday and it doesnt actually show up in the bank account until Thursday. It's almost like having your paycheck direct deposited into your account.

I think if you sell over $20K you get a 1099-K.

I'm getting a little fed up with EBay so Amazon may be an alternative. This is the wonderful EBay dispute/not as described I just got:

I do not think you understand my intent. I would like to refund and will be keeping the purchase.

You have to love EBay.

Haha wow. What was the item?

I'm getting a little fed up with EBay so Amazon may be an alternative. This is the wonderful EBay dispute/not as described I just got:

“I do not think you understand my intent. I would like to refund and will be keeping the purchase”.

You have to love EBay.

Unbelievable. The scammers are getting bolder.