• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimate Fantastic Four Opinions

27 posts in this topic

Why not???? Not everything has to be grim & gritty. A bit of light-heartedness doesn't hurt the comics genre and the Ultimate line "is" aimed at a younger audience than your average old flart(yes intentional mis-spelling) collector.

What is that supposed to mean? You really think that's how kids talk nowdays, and this "hip dialogue" is intended to emulate kid-speak circa 2004?

I emailed this panel to my nephew and he wrote back, essentially saying it's "what old people think kids talk like", which should give you a HUGE clue who this book is aimed at:

Old farts who want to think they're reading "hip books". That's lame.... no that's fantasti-lame.

I've got 2 kids(preteen & teenage) of my own... so I have no need to defend if I know how kids speak 893frustrated.gif. And of course kids will have different lingo from house-to-house, neighborhood-to-neighborhood, city-to-city..not to mention social/ethnic background. So your nephew didn't like it...my preteen would find it funny and that's life...because reading enjoyment it is not a blanket statement that can be proven such as if "X" doesn't like it then "Y" shouldn't either.

So do all kids fantasti-talk?, of course not. Way too many of them fantasti-cuss. If a comic writer tries to entertain kids without using toilet humor, shock violence, and/or nudity then that's okay with me.

Also, thinking back to the Stan Lee Silver Age era...did adults talk in the "far-out" lingo that he used?(and I don't mean the Bronze age Spidey books). I was only a kid myself in the early 60s and the adults I knew didn't speak in alliteration(maybe yours did). Stan did it that way for the hyperbole and excitement he wished to create. It was fun and entertaining...but it didn't have to be "street" or proper lingo to entertain and that's how I feel the writer was reaching out...to entertain both the kids and the long-time Marvel collector..to which I give a thumbsup2.gif.

If a comic writer tries to entertain kids without using toilet humor, shock violence, and/or nudity then that's okay with me.

Of course, and hopefully in the future, kids will once again start reading comics. Until then, I guess "old farts who think they're hip" will continue to be the target market.

And seriously, your kids talk like this:

"Dude, that stinks"

"Reed, you suck, you beyond suck"

"You fantasti-suck dude"

It's been a long time since I saw teenagers using "dude" that much in one conversation, but who knows, your kids may be stuck in a time-warp of some kind. confused-smiley-013.gif

If a comic writer tries to entertain kids without using toilet humor, shock violence, and/or nudity then that's okay with me.

"

Of course, and hopefully in the future, kids will once again start reading comics. Until then, I guess "old farts who think they're hip" will continue to be the target market."

who do you feel are the "old farts who think they're hip"..me, you, everyone else but you??? I know that I'm far from hip..not a problem for me.

"And seriously, your kids talk like this:

"Dude, that stinks"

"You fantasti-suck dude"

It's been a long time since I saw teenagers using "dude" that much in one conversation, but who knows, your kids may be stuck in a time-warp of some kind. confused-smiley-013.gif "

Hey Dude,

Seriously dude, how my kids talk was not the context of my response to your post..if you really want to continue to talk about them, I'll open my wallet for their pictures and we'll talk about how cute they are.

Have a fantasti-day Dude

And seriously, your kids talk like this:

"Dude, that stinks"

"You fantasti-suck dude"

My take on this is that the dialogue was meant to poke fun at people who talk like that. Most kids today know someone, whether a parent,uncle or friend of family who may still slip in the "Dude" now and then. I know I'm guilty of it myself although I've never said Fantasti-suck! tongue.gif

I'll tell what DOES Fantasti-suck! (oh no, I've said it!) - Sitting home on a nice summer day waiting for a mason to come over to give me an estimate to fix my front walk! 893frustrated.gif

Also, thinking back to the Stan Lee Silver Age era...did adults talk in the "far-out" lingo that he used?(and I don't mean the Bronze age Spidey books). I was only a kid myself in the early 60s and the adults I knew didn't speak in alliteration(maybe yours did). Stan did it that way for the hyperbole and excitement he wished to create.

I recently read ASM vol. #1 issues 1-60. I thought some the dialog was just plan silly. Seemed like MJ, Gwen, and even Harry were referring to Peter and other guys as Dad or Daddi-O. I think that is much weirder than the fantasti-rant in this months current issue of UFF. That being said, I liked some of the corny dialog from the 60s as well as the corny dialog of today. I must confess, I use the "dude" word a little more than I should in conversations with my buddies especially after a couple of brews. Well, let me get back to the swell comic I was reading. tongue.gif