• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay being sued for libel (feedback)

8 posts in this topic

Here are a couple interesting excerpts from the article.

He's suing ebay because the buyer(?) refused to "...remove statements he says damaged his reputation...", basically because the goods weren't as advertised.

When the seller asked the buyer(?) to retract his negative feedback, he said he was told "Get a life, dude.". Too funny! grin.gif

Not so funny is this "The lawsuit also demands that buyers and sellers, who use aliases in eBay transactions, register their screen names with the state of California as fictitious business names, and that eBay be forced to collect state sales tax." Ouch! mad.gif

This seller is a dimwit lawyer who's giving ebay and other lawyers a bad name. He has no control over whether or not California forces eBay patrons to register false business names, nor does he have any control over forcing people to pay state sales tax.

As for the libel suit, all I have to say is that truth is a defense. If he did sell overgraded books on ebay (what a surprise!) then the buyer can prove it in a court of law and the suit goes away. As for ebay, they're very careful about their feedback system. Every time I've left negative feedback, I've received multiple warnings. I'd also argue that by selling on ebay, you take the chance that someone will leave you negative feedback This seller knew it was was a risk. I wonder how much other negative feedback he has?

My prediction? This suit will be dismissed and go away very fast.

And yes, I'm a lawyer, but don't quote me on any of this. It's just my peronsal opinion.

Just my opinion.......but I think the people that bring these stupid lawsuits to court should have to pay all the costs associated with them when they are thrown out.....along with a HUGE fine.

Like the lawsuit that was just thrown out when a mother tried to sue McDonalds for making her kids fat. She needs a big fat fine for trying that kind of . As it is now......there just isn't enough to discourage people from bringing ridiculous lawsuits up in an attempt to get rich. mad.gif

Another snippet from the article:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The suit asks a judge to force the cyber-auctioneer to filter words like "fraud, liar, cheater, scam artist, con man" from the site, or to warn users of the prospect of potentially libelous retaliation if they complain about a seller.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what the hell are you supposed to do when you have a bad transaction and want to complain about a seller?..........buy them a frigging ice cream? mad.gif

And if they filter all these words out of feedback......it's liable to put poor rickdogg out of business. tongue.gif

I know not all lawyers are like this.......but guys like this are who they get the bad rap from. frown.gif

When I read fraud, liar, cheater, scam artist or con man in the description of a negative feed-back, all it means to me is oh, another guy selling overgraded comics on e-bay. It doesn't mean that he's a fraud, liar, scam artist or con man. (Does that makes sense?)