• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zen and the art of moderation
2 2

908 posts in this topic

Please stop making this into a personal discussion.

In some ways it is a personal discussion, but it is personal to oneself, as opposed to projecting upon another person, the way many here are trying to do.

I have many flaws. Self-delusion is not one of them. In my many years on the Boards I have let my judgmental, priggish (and prickish) side govern my behavior from time to time. I have trolled people, at times mercilessly. I am not proud of it.

The Ignore function doesn't save me from other people. It saves those people and the community from me. The community gets more of :angel: Sean and less of :devil: Sean. And the community still gets plenty of :devil:

If nothing else, I would suggest that every one at least consider that Moderation starts at one's own keyboard. Chances are you are not going to change the person that grinds your gears. But, you may be able to change your own posting behavior in a way that benefits yourself, your blood pressure and the Community.

There's so much irony in this thread all the wrinkles disappeared from my clothes.

It's like the train wreck that you just can't look away from.

I've thrown up in mouth at least 3 times so far (shrug)

Did you spit it out, or swallow?

See, Tupenny?

I'm only messing with you, Dice. :foryou:

Some folks posted too much in this thread.

I haven't posted in here yet. :sumo:

I post on your behalf.

That's like Jack London writing for Hustler magazine

Your post is the pinnacle of my posting career, easily. Thank you, Sal. (worship)

You earned it, buddy! Hard work does pay off in the end. Also in the beginning and the middle, but no one really pays attention to those

The end? You're recommending my FDQE, aren't you?

In some ways it is a personal discussion, but it is personal to oneself, as opposed to projecting upon another person, the way many here are trying to do.

I have many flaws. Self-delusion is not one of them. In my many years on the Boards I have let my judgmental, priggish (and prickish) side govern my behavior from time to time. I have trolled people, at times mercilessly. I am not proud of it.

The Ignore function doesn't save me from other people. It saves those people and the community from me. The community gets more of :angel: Sean and less of :devil: Sean. And the community still gets plenty of :devil:

If nothing else, I would suggest that every one at least consider that Moderation starts at one's own keyboard. Chances are you are not going to change the person that grinds your gears. But, you may be able to change your own posting behavior in a way that benefits yourself, your blood pressure and the Community.

Where's the fun in that?

:sorry:

There's so much irony in this thread all the wrinkles disappeared from my clothes.

It's like the train wreck that you just can't look away from.

I've thrown up in mouth at least 3 times so far (shrug)

Did you spit it out, or swallow?

Both :sick:

Some folks posted too much in this thread.

I haven't posted in here yet. :sumo:

I post on your behalf.

That's like Jack London writing for Hustler magazine

Your post is the pinnacle of my posting career, easily. Thank you, Sal. (worship)

You earned it, buddy! Hard work does pay off in the end. Also in the beginning and the middle, but no one really pays attention to those

The end? You're recommending my FDQE, aren't you?

"End," dear Tupenny, is relative. As is "lately" in "what have you done for me lately?"

But by all means, FDQ away. I look forward to a good read, about one third of which will go completely over my head

I was told this will never, ever happen (shrug)

I'm pretty sure you misunderstand me, then, entirely.

I'm pretty sure you misunderstand me, then, entirely.

I'm pretty sure I don't.

I have said my peace. Those who went after individuals in this thread, regardless of who they are, are contributing to the very problem I have detailed.

I am going back to popcorn, because it is important for me to be at popcorn. You would think being at popcorn for well over a year would be proof enough that the "you're part of the problem you complain about RMA" accusations would hold no water, but, unfortunately, that's not the case.

And that is why the need for popcorn exists.

I earnestly say this one more time:

If you dislike someone...it doesn't matter why...and it isn't in you to try to work out your differences...just pretend they don't exist. Don't post to or about them on the boards. If you do, you're only contributing to the hostility around here, no matter how right you think you are, no matter how much you think that person deserves it, no matter how just it is in your mind.

It just adds to the hostility.

To the mods: you can control this hostile environment. You can, if you want to. You can make this a pleasant place for EVERYONE. It's in your power to do it. This can be such a magnificent place...but it's up to you. None of the rest of us can do it.

Good luck.

I say the mods need to resign and just let Cal and RMA moderate this place.

4 times now :sick:

Did you spit this time?

Is this the part where a dozen or so boardies try for the next 24 hours to get the thread locked? (shrug)

Seems to be the appropriate time.

Edited by gaz973

Is this the part where a dozen or so boardies try for the next 24 hours to get the thread locked? (shrug)

I figured it was coming, that's the only reason I started posting in it. :wishluck:

I say the mods need to resign and just let Cal and RMA moderate this place.

:popcorn:

I see you're doing exactly what you're accusing everyone else of doing by not ignoring me.

Funny, that.

PS, if you're reading this, you did it again.