• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No stupid questions...

13 posts in this topic

...only stupid people. Please, help my ignorance by answering this:

In the case of recalled comics, such as the one Wolverine issue that shows Sabretooth using a racial slur, does CGC note that on the label? Does CGC have any sort of "we won't touch recalled comics" policy?

???

-slym

...only stupid people. Please, help my ignorance by answering this:

In the case of recalled comics, such as the one Wolverine issue that shows Sabretooth using a racial slur, does CGC note that on the label? Does CGC have any sort of "we won't touch recalled comics" policy?

???

-slym

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wolverine-131-RECALLED-VARIANT-CGC-7-0-1998-Recalled-due-to-racial-slur-/321104919526?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4ac3583be6

What are "recalled comics"? ???

Just as the term implies - sometimes a comic gets released then recalled by the publisher. My example was with Wolverine #131 (vol 2) where Sabretooth used a racial slur against Jews and Marvel editors didn't catch it until after printing & distribution. They immediately wanted all copies returned, but however it happened, a good number were sold/got into the publics hands before being taken back and now they are prized by collectors, not due to content, but on rarity alone.

At least I hope it is due to the rarity......

:eek:

-slym

Just as the term implies - sometimes a comic gets released then recalled by the publisher. My example was with Wolverine #131 (vol 2) where Sabretooth used a racial slur against Jews and Marvel editors didn't catch it until after printing & distribution. They immediately wanted all copies returned, but however it happened, a good number were sold/got into the publics hands before being taken back and now they are prized by collectors, not due to content, but on rarity alone.

At least I hope it is due to the rarity......

:eek:

-slym

I think this doesn’t make much sense; Sabretooth is a villain, so why should this be amended? What should we do of all the Super Villain Team-Ups or the circumstances where either the Red Skull or the Hate Monger express actual racial despise, and not just words? (BTW, don’t know that writer, maybe it was just out of character with Sabretooth?)

I guess it makes almost less sense than all the over "political correctness" which led to absurdities in the last 15 years…

Well, let's use the ubiquitous "n"-word.

If a comic was released with that word in print, it would offend a LARGE number of people, manufactured outrage or not. The word in question isn't quite as proliferous, but just as bad to the Jewish community.

This is about protecting one's name as well as one's business.

-slym

If a comic was released with that word in print, it would offend a LARGE number of people, manufactured outrage or not. The word in question isn't quite as proliferous, but just as bad to the Jewish community.

-slym

Well said

-slym

Ophra didn't beep out DMX from saying it to his son in a recent interview on her network.....

Which is the main reason I think it comes down to context.

Yeah, it was the bad K word and it came out very close to a major Jewish holiday IIRC. At the time they said it was an spell check error. The original word - Killer - was spelled wrong and the proofreader (whomever it was) chose the wrong "correct" word.