• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics for Kids

12 posts in this topic

Hello fellow members. I need some help and am reaching out to you.

I am currently a 7th grade and 8th grade English teacher in NY that always tries to promote reading to my students in a variety of formats. Since I just happen to love comics I always try to promote to my students not just to read books, but to try all different forms of literature.

Around every Christmas and end of the school year, I bring in about two long boxes of comics that I purchased from a estate sale and let each student in my classes take 1-2 comics (which I tell them they HAVE to at least take one) and this has opened many of my students eyes to comic books.

Some of my students have never even seen or heard of comic books until I introduced them to it. One of my students, Michael is now completely obsessed with X-Men comics all because he was give the opportunity to love this form of literature.

Another example is Amanda, when she went through the long sleeve she found a Wonder Woman comic that she brought home and showed her father. She was so excited about the character after reading the comic that she actually started collecting them and even asked her father if she could go to the NY comic-con this year and her father said yes. Currently, she has about 30 Wonder Woman comics and her collection is growing. She is always excited to talk about whats going to happen next in her comics.

In this day and age it is not easy to get any student to read, when technology is so prevalent in their lives, but if I can find a way to even reach a few students then it is well worth it.

The reason that I am reaching out to you is because every year I have around 105 students and I am down to only one long box of comics. Due to the budget cuts my funding for the comics is limited, and purchasing over 200 comics a year is very costly. Is there anyone they any of you may know that would be willing to donate comics that they may not want/need anymore. They do not have to be popular comics, just anything that you can spare.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Aside from donations you should contact your LCS, given that Free Comic Book Day is coming up in May, you could get everything you need without much stress.

Comic Shops do have to pay a small amount for the books, but it's a small amount and you could leverage a lot more books that way.

Aside from donations you should contact your LCS, given that Free Comic Book Day is coming up in May, you could get everything you need without much stress.

Comic Shops do have to pay a small amount for the books, but it's a small amount and you could leverage a lot more books that way.

I used to go to a local comic book shop (Krypton Comics) but because of hurricane sandy his store was wiped out.

I do have a Comic Book Jones and a Jim Hanley's Universe near me. I will contact them and see if they do anything for schools. Thanks for the idea!

They always leave the indie comics because most of the kids are unfamiliar with the heroes. Anyone somewhat popular ranging from Marvel to DC: Superman, Batman Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Green Lantern, Super Girl, Cat Woman...etc

Those types of heroes usually go the most.

First let us know privately where to send comics and or donations. I would love to help.second Krypton comics is gone ?, poor Artie. I was going there last Week, I was in Duncan hills Friday and was going to try next week to take my son. I didn't know that he got wiped out by Sandy. Wow. Sad news. He had a cool comic store last time I was there.

First let us know privately where to send comics and or donations. I would love to help.second Krypton comics is gone ?, poor Artie. I was going there last Week, I was in Duncan hills Friday and was going to try next week to take my son. I didn't know that he got wiped out by Sandy. Wow. Sad news. He had a cool comic store last time I was there.

Yeah. He had to close shop. He said that he lost everything in the storm. The boxes were literally engulfed in the water when it came up.

He was a great guy and was my favorite person to talk to when it came to comic books. He was such a nice and friendly guy who made you feel so welcome every time you entered his store.

For anyone that would be interested just PM me and I will give you the address.

I just want to be clear that ALL of these comics go directly into the hands of students and no one else.

Yup Teachers Choice (money we are given for our classroom) was $40 this year. I spent over $500.

In the end its really not about the money. You do it for your students, because you know what is needed to help them excel and engage them on a variety of levels.

It depends on if it is the new super girl comics or the older ones. I would say a safe age to introduce comics is about the 5th grade (10-11). Any younger I would just inspect the comic for anything "influential".

Then again some of my 12-13 year old students are reading the walking dead comics and are great kids...so it really depends on the background of the child and how it is introduced to them.

I would like to thank Spidervacc for all of his help and to anyone else interested please feel free to contact me for further information. Anything that you can help will benefit my students greatly and I cannot express how thankful I am for your support!