• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whenever I see Greg Capullo's Batman art I think....

28 posts in this topic

I like his art, the recent owls stuff / batman was fantastic. Can Mcfarlane be an inker without dominating the art in his own style?

If you mean will greg's draftsmanship suddenly be compromised, No. Capullo's art really shines with an inker like that because he's not a super tight penciler by design. Everything is there, the gesture, the acting, the composition and draftsmanship.The bells and whistles Mcfarlane adds at that point are a positive.

Same thing with Danny Miki, who I think at the peak of their collaboration on Spawn...say the last 20 issues had some of the best line art comics have seen in the last 25 years or so. He was able to keep the looseness of Greg's pencils in a hyper detailed stye. Capullo working with much better stories on Batman.

I agree about Capullo's art being really good on Batman, and Jon Glapion is a talented inker but Miki was on another level over Capullo. IMO.

I know McFarlane has refused to work for Marvel. Does he feel the same about DC?

No. He did Spawn/batman a Batman statue and was supposed to ink a John Byrne superman cover during part of the deal for Spawn/Batman 2 about 10 years ago, but the book never materialized.

I guess Marvel acquiring MM and Angela from Neil Gaiman might keep him away from there, but then again who knows as Todd has expressed interest in working with neil gaiman again regardless of the outcome of the lawsuit.

Miki takes over from Glapion on issue #21 doesn't he?

WHAT!?!!! Yes! at least for issue 19 it looks like! Wow, I hope this is permanent

Glapion leaves after #20, i liked Glapion but they have a great replacement

I know McFarlane has refused to work for Marvel. Does he feel the same about DC?

No. He did Spawn/batman a Batman statue and was supposed to ink a John Byrne superman cover during part of the deal for Spawn/Batman 2 about 10 years ago, but the book never materialized.

I guess Marvel acquiring MM and Angela from Neil Gaiman might keep him away from there, but then again who knows as Todd has expressed interest in working with neil gaiman again regardless of the outcome of the lawsuit.

I've never heard this one before, do you have any documentation of it? I just find it hard to believe considering Byrne doesn't care for Todd's work and I can't imagine he'd be OK with him inking his work.

Wow - that's the first time I've seen GC's pencil work. I have to say his current inker/colorist are not doing them justice. I've thought the Batman art to this point has been very ok - I don't dislike it, but it's pretty neutral in terms of getting me excited about the stories (which have been great). But, in looking at his pencils, the art is MUCH more compelling in pencil form than I expected. I've often felt GC's Batman has lacked depth and detail compared to what I really enjoy, but those pencils seem to have them, they just haven't often been translated very well to ink/color.

Didn't expect to be impressed by them, but I am!

I've never heard this one before, do you have any documentation of it? I just find it hard to believe considering Byrne doesn't care for Todd's work and I can't imagine he'd be OK with him inking his work.

Todd mentioned it on the old spawn boards and i believe the audio for his Mocca exhibit. As part of the deal for Spawn/Batman he requested to ink a Byrne Superman cover. DC is work for hire so unless he turned down all work from DC at the time he probably wouldn't have much say. These petty jealousies are ridiculous anyway.

Wow - that's the first time I've seen GC's pencil work. I have to say his current inker/colorist are not doing them justice. I've thought the Batman art to this point has been very ok - I don't dislike it, but it's pretty neutral in terms of getting me excited about the stories (which have been great). But, in looking at his pencils, the art is MUCH more compelling in pencil form than I expected. I've often felt GC's Batman has lacked depth and detail compared to what I really enjoy, but those pencils seem to have them, they just haven't often been translated very well to ink/color.

He's fantastic! Danny Miki has been his best inker to date, although i enjoyed Mcfarlane's ink too and hopefully they can re team on a cover to two in the future. Hopefully Miki's joining the team full time and it won't be just a couple issues in between a new Marvel contract. Glapion's inks on the Justice League Variant they did together was mint, so it could just be the tone of the stories. If Greg ever moves to the brighter characters, Jon will rock it.

Really on Capullo's art? I love his work on Batman and he is part of why I think Snyder's run is firing on all cylinders.

Todd mentioned it on the old spawn boards and i believe the audio for his Mocca exhibit. As part of the deal for Spawn/Batman he requested to ink a Byrne Superman cover. DC is work for hire so unless he turned down all work from DC at the time he probably wouldn't have much say. These petty jealousies are ridiculous anyway.

Sounds like when Larsen got to "work with" Byrne on Spider-Girl :eyeroll:

WHAT!?!!! Yes! at least for issue 19 it looks like! Wow, I hope this is permanent

17 was Glapions last issue. Miki took over with 19 which came out a couple weeks ago.

17 was Glapions last issue. Miki took over with 19 which came out a couple weeks ago.

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/batman-2011/batman-20

Glapion is doing #20 though...i'd assumed he's done #19 too