• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inventory

12 posts in this topic

What I did while waiting for my books to come back

The last 3 books I submitted to CGC are still sitting at verified. I was a bit of a bonehead for not paying the extra 10 bucks to fast track them. But, what's done is done. So while I waited I decided to re-catalog all of my books into a software program. The last time I did this, there wasn't a very good comic book specific option for use on a Mac, but now there is. So I bought Collectorz.com's software. 10 years ago when I put my comics in storage, I went through and inventoried them all in a notebook. What at the time seemed like enough information was now seeming a little vague. I didn't know there were going to be 5 volumes of some of these titles. Usually I was able to deduce which ones I owned by the publishing year. If it was published after 1998 I knew I didn't own it. For the older stuff, usually I could look at a picture of the cover in the software and hopefully remember if I owned it. So after a couple of weeks I got them all input and I ended up with a grand total of 5808.

A quick breakdown: 3514 Marvel Comics, 2112 DC comics, Dark Horse a distant third with 52 and the rest.

By eras: A whopping 4609 worthless... oops, I mean Modern Age. 770 Bronze Age, 393 Silver Age, 11 Atomic Age and 2 Golden Age.

By title: 274 Uncanny X-men Vol. 1, 254 Captain America Vol. 1, 251 Amazing Spider-Man out in front by a wide margin.

Here's a question for all you readers. Are there any key issues in the Modern age pre-1998 that I should look out for in my collection? For example, I never imagined that New Mutants #98 would be worth anything.

See more journals by Hepgwyn

Check out the set: Marvel Copper-Age Firsts. You'll find some key copper age books in there. X-Factor 6, 24, New Mutants 87, 98 (as you mentioned), annual 2, Thor 337, the Amazing Spider-Man listings and X-Men listings, esp. 244 and 266 are some stand-outs. Hope that helps.

Mo CGC section. I also use this software, but mainly because I like the phone application for it. Not having an area for CGC(or even PGX) is the only bad point about it.

I use the comic collector live program. It does have a yearly subscription fee, unfortunately. But the grading does have everything for CGC(label type, grade, free text box for notes) and a 12 question wizard to grade raw books. It also has a pretty decent online community for multiple stores/people to list things they're selling. I've bought quite a few issues from different sellers and all have been pretty good.

What I did while waiting for my books to come back

The last 3 books I submitted to CGC are still sitting at verified. I was a bit of a bonehead for not paying the extra 10 bucks to fast track them. But, what's done is done. So while I waited I decided to re-catalog all of my books into a software program. The last time I did this, there wasn't a very good comic book specific option for use on a Mac, but now there is. So I bought Collectorz.com's software. 10 years ago when I put my comics in storage, I went through and inventoried them all in a notebook. What at the time seemed like enough information was now seeming a little vague. I didn't know there were going to be 5 volumes of some of these titles. Usually I was able to deduce which ones I owned by the publishing year. If it was published after 1998 I knew I didn't own it. For the older stuff, usually I could look at a picture of the cover in the software and hopefully remember if I owned it. So after a couple of weeks I got them all input and I ended up with a grand total of 5808.

A quick breakdown: 3514 Marvel Comics, 2112 DC comics, Dark Horse a distant third with 52 and the rest.

By eras: A whopping 4609 worthless... oops, I mean Modern Age. 770 Bronze Age, 393 Silver Age, 11 Atomic Age and 2 Golden Age.

By title: 274 Uncanny X-men Vol. 1, 254 Captain America Vol. 1, 251 Amazing Spider-Man out in front by a wide margin.

Here's a question for all you readers. Are there any key issues in the Modern age pre-1998 that I should look out for in my collection? For example, I never imagined that New Mutants #98 would be worth anything.

See more journals by Hepgwyn

comicspriceguide.com42nd Edition of Overstreet Comic Book Price GuideGPAnalysis.com (sales information on CGC books only)eBay completed listings (you have to look up under the title, issue number)These are my resources for selling the books. If there are many runs, you can sell the whole bunch on eBay or others. Those resources can give you any ideas of selling or getting rids of them. In fact, it is sadly true.

I have the collectorz also. I normally just put right in the title line what It is I.E CGC 9.8 . And I put all of my CGC books in its own Separate Series.Xmen CGC ect....Ive been using it for 2 yrs now. Love it. I also subscribe to the comic connect that goes with it. I got a 18 months for 20 bucks back at Christmas.

Also, I have full Bronze Age runs of Avengers 95 to 200, Captain America 196 to 311 and Ms. Marvel 1-23.

I am aware of those books have little value but I set my goal to have them at least 9.6 or better. Also, I find any attracting issues or key issues for example CA #241 (Punisher/Frank Miller work), any issues that contain Hulk, Red Skull, any favorite villains that would be professionally graded. Also, I will have them graded unless they are CGC worthy if they can be 9.8 individually.

I intend to send them to PGX for screening for 9.6/9.8 only at no charge in comparing to CGC charging $5 per book for screening only to follow my request at specific grades. If a book is qualified for 9.8, it will be charged for grading the book.

Once all sets have screened and graded, I will put them on sales that would attract the buyers.

See how you will plan with your books. You can keep them for many years. Maybe, the comic books can be decreased to save the trees in future. Who knows? I do not have a crystal ball.

Yeah I bought it, I tried the trial first and liked it but it only works for like 50 or 500 issues or something unless you purchase.

thanks for your other suggestions as well

Sorry, not really sure about variants and multiple printings. Of the 5800 books I input only 1 wasn't in there and I was able to add it manually and it easily found an image of the cover on-line. I can see how that would be tedious though if you had many books that weren't in there. Since my collection is mostly static, I too wanted something without a subscription to help me manage what I have.