• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

‘Holy Grail’ of video games valued at $38,000 bought at Goodwill for $8

78 posts in this topic

I suppose the question needs to be asked:

Why didn't she tell the Goodwill store how much the game was worth?

I'm pretty sure they could have helped out a fair few people with the money.

Where do YOU draw the line?

Should then GoodWill give back the the game to the original owner who donated it?

Where do you draw the line? ijs

lol

People donated that game to Goodwill because they thought Goodwill could use the support.

Taking a windfall from a charity seems extraordinarily questionable, depending on the charity.

I'm pretty damn sure if the O-O knew that game was worth 38K or 12K or whatever it never would have got donated.

:baiting:

Daddy used to say to me, "Never, ever spike the ball."

Should then GoodWill give back the the game to the original owner who donated it?

lol

People donated that game to Goodwill because they thought Goodwill could use the support.

Taking a windfall from them seems extraordinarily unseemly.

yes, one would hope the buyer will donate at least part of the proceeds

And give it back to St. Jude's Children's Hospital instead. lol

I don't get the joke...? (call me clueless)

Someone posted how Goodwill is a sucky charity...so I suggested a good one instead.

lol

Taking a windfall from a charity seems extraordinarily questionable, depending on the charity.

I'm pretty damn sure if the O-O knew that game was worth 38K or 12K or whatever it never would have got donated.

Which doesn't make taking a windfall from a charity (assuming it's a real charity) any less skeevy.

lol

doh!

lol

I'm sorry. It's late, I'm tired.

And these big damn "charities" that maybe give 5-10 cents on the dollar to the poor people they claim to want to help are a pet peeve of mine.

Hell! Big companies often donate like 5-10% of their profits to help the poor and they get demonized as evil and greedy.

Well per the chart, even if buyer donated $100k to Goodwill, same amount will go to the needy as this $7.99 purchase. Zero, zip, nada. But Execs would have fatter bonuses.

Not exactly. Goodwill doesn't donate things to the poor. They give them a place where they can buy clean usable items for far less than retail price if new. While they may pay their staff minimum wage, they don't get free rent, free utilities, etc. For many people on low income this is the only place they can afford.

I think it's hasty to dismiss it as "zero zip nada" going to help the poor.

Just saying. There's value there.

lol

Someone posted how Goodwill is a sucky charity...so I suggested a good one instead.

Oh I see lol I didn't read the chart :insane:

lol

I'm sorry. It's late, I'm tired.

And these big damn "charities" that maybe give 5-10 cents on the dollar to the poor people they claim to want to help are a pet peeve of mine.

Hell! Big companies often donate like 5-10% of their profits to help the poor and they get demonized as evil and greedy.

That's true. I love St. Jude's and everything they do. They get my money every year, but they spend A TON on marketing, and mailers, and fundraising. They already get my money. They should have records to that end, but they waste a ton on these mailings.

It seems wasteful, but I can't argue with the work they do and what they give to sick children and their families.

Well per the chart, even if buyer donated $100k to Goodwill, same amount will go to the needy as this $7.99 purchase. Zero, zip, nada. But Execs would have fatter bonuses.

Not exactly. Goodwill doesn't donate things to the poor. They give them a place where they can buy clean usable items for far less than retail price if new. While they may pay their staff minimum wage, they don't get free rent, free utilities, etc. For many people on low income this is the only place they can afford.

I know what your saying.

GoodWill is the place you go when you can't afford to shop at Walmart.

But it's a business just like Walmart.

If this game was bought from a Walmart for $7.99 what would be the difference?

Should the buyer return it to Walmart?

I have no ill will toward GoodWill btw.

As a capitalist I know all markets need to be served, even the poorest ones.

I would go so far as to say I'm glad someone found a way to get $2-$5 clothing to people who can't afford to pay $10-$20 off the rack at a regular department store.

One thing that bothers me about Goodwill is that I've brought perfectly usable items to them (things I myself wouldn't mind having used, I just don't have room or need anymore) and they turn it away, like it's not good enough for them. However, many of these charities often encourage cash as it will help needy (Execs) faster...etc.

I once had a nice Executive Leather Office Chair that was very expensive and in great condition. I had to change to an ergo chair, because I work too much on a computer, and needed more ergo support. I literally spent almost a day driving to about 7 Goodwill/Salvation Army's that just wouldn't take it until the last one finally 'let' me carry it in to the floor and leave it.

My apologies.

I was not aware that 'Goodwill' is the actual name of a store! doh!

I thought it was used in the US as a generic term for somewhere you go to donate stuff, where the money does actually go to help those who may need it a bit more.

I know what your saying.

GoodWill is the place you go when you can't afford to shop at Walmart.

But it's a business just like Walmart.

If this game was bought from a Walmart for $7.99 what would be the difference?

Should the buyer return it to Walmart?

I have no ill will toward GoodWill btw.

As a capitalist I know all markets need to be served, even the poorest ones.

I would go so far as to say I'm glad someone found a way to get $2-$5 clothing to people who can't afford to pay $10-$20 off the rack at a regular department store.

The journalist that wrote $38k should be embarassed, its valuable but nowhere near that valuable. It would have to be sealed and mint to get that price, and this is opened not sealed.

As I posted in the 'all purpose video game thread', a copy of the cartridge with a torn box sold for $11,500 within the last month on ebay. That's the most recent point.

This copy (NOT the copy pictured, which incidentally belongs to me) that is currently for sale is up on gamegavel at a starting bid of $12,000, and has one bid last I checked.

Its very tough to say what it will go for, but we are talking some number between 12 and 20k, certainly not 38k.

Regardless, a mighty fine 7.99 purchase.

How much would you value your copy at? I know you like games and it's facinating to see collectibles like this but to most people it looks like junk (not to say it is of course, just what most people would say).

Goodwill sells some of their stuff ebay/auction style on their website (http://www.shopgoodwill.com/).... there are a ton of items going for hundreds of dollars that I assume were donated to them so someone needy could buy it? Anyway, they sell comic books so I was looking to see if anything noteworthy slipped in... most of their comic auctions are a stack of 50 comics thown on the floor and photographed once or twice with no description. I saw a Spider-Man 129 peaking out of one lot that people were bidding on but I looked into it and it's a reprint.

They also purposely try to hire a lot of people with disabilities or other employment challenges, and spend some of the profits from their stores on training them, often for jobs that have nothing to do with Goodwill.

They are a non-profit, and I think they do a fair amount of good. At the very least, they help dull the edge of our throw-away culture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodwill_Industries

lol

Which doesn't make taking a windfall from a charity (assuming it's a real charity) any less skeevy.

If true, I would consider the CEO's 2.3 million dollar salary skeevier than a one time windfall by a girl using a videogame to pay off $10k worth of school debt. At least she isn't making seven figures based on profits from charitable donations and workers paid at or around the poverty line. (shrug)