• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best modern comics by publisher...

22 posts in this topic

So, I get back into comics 2 years ago after a 20 year absence, and there's so much to catch up - CGC grading was one of the first, and the new modern age was another...

... got back a little before DC's New 52 and so got started with DC ...

Animal Man (Jeff Lemire)

Swamp Thing (Scott Snyder)

Batman (Scott Snyder)

... and then a couple of weeks ago decided to try a bit of what other publishers were offering ...

Saga (Image)

Glory (Image - ended)

... and now have plans to expand to other publishers with ...

Nowhere Men

Mind Mgmt

Harbinger

Hawkeye (yep, I'm even willing to try Marvel, which I left a long long time ago)

... thanks to all the good threads here for the advice

But that has me wondering:

What are the best 1,2 or 3 titles each publisher, big or small, are publishing... ??

Would love more suggestions, as it's a great time to be a reader...

It is a great time to be a reader. Sometimes too great because there is just too much to keep up with. There is only so much $ to go around you know?? Anyhow, this is what I have been reading that may help start you out:

-Saga-u already discovered this but thought I'd share

-Revival-Image

-Rachel Rising-Terry Moore

-Lookouts-Penny Arcade overlooked cool book

-Star Wars ongoing-Dark Horse revisits the original trilogy (thumbs u

-Conan-Dark Horse has been basically killing it with Conan for years-especially the first release series under their banner from 2006?

-Aquaman-New 52 series has been pretty good

-Batman/Batman and Robin-New 52

-He-Man-DC The last couple issues from the DC mini that just ended were pretty awesome. I have yet to finish the mini,but they also just started an ongoing which looks like it might be good too

-Harbinger/X-O/Bloodshot-Valiant all have been pretty good from what I've read so far

-Nova-Marvel's new series is pretty awesome IMO

-Guardians of the Galaxy-Pretty good start

-Scalped-Vertigo- I haven't finished this series yet, but what a fantastic crime noir book it is!!! It sadly ended with issue #60 not too long ago

That's it for me for now. Enjoy your reading!

Image stuff go with Nowhere Men easily the best book or comic or piece of art created ever. Everything else sucks after that. That was sort of a joke. More Image greatness try Chew, East Of West, or Manhattan Projects or Invincible or Walking Dead or Thief Of Thieves.

Search Warren Ellis trades on amazon.com. He's got wide variety of amazing stuff and there you can get quick descriptions of everything. Like Doktor Sleepless or Ocean or Fell or Gravel or Global Frequency or Desolation Jones or Hellblazer or Supergod or Black Summer or No Hero or Freakangels or his 3 Iron Man trades or Nextwave or Thunderbolts those last 3 are Marvel books or or or or.

I liked Animal Man #1 in the new 52 but then it got too weird for me. And I like weird. I liked Snyder's Batman stuff.

Or Matt Fraction's Hawkeye or Mark Waid's Daredevil.

Or Snapshot or Django Unchained I'll shut up now.

MARVEL:

1. Daredevil

2. Hawkeye

3. Uncanny X-men

DC:

1. Batman

2. Wonder Woman

3. Batman Incorporated

Image:

1. Saga

2. Chew

3. Manhattan Projects

Vertigo:

1. The Unwritten

2. Fables

3. American Vampire

Dark horse:

1. Mind MGMT

2. BPRD

3. Star Wars

IDW:

1. Locke & Key

2. The Rocketeer

ONI:

1. The Sixth Gun

2. Helheim

*These are the currently active titles.

-Lookouts-Penny Arcade overlooked cool book

+1 - cool book from a small publisher. Definitely worth checking out IMO.

Definitely. It is overlooked here. It always sells out on Diamond very quickly and from my LCS within the week.

Injustice Gods Among Us is my number one DC read right now, bar none. All four issues so far have been a fantastic read. Can't believe I'm saying this, but in terms of sheer can't-wait-for-next-issue entertainment, right now I'd put it a nose ahead of Snyder's Batman for me personally (at least if the quality of the writing keeps up).

Marvel- Uncanny X-Men, Daredevil, Superior Spider-man, All New X-men

DC - Injustice Gods Among US, Fables ( Vertigo )

Image - East of West, Five Ghosts, Todd the Ugliest Kid, Nowhere Men, Invincible

Oni - Helheim

Boom - Polarity

Dark Horse - Star Wars

With the exception of Fables and Invincible, all of the have come out in the last few months and are readily available online. Injustice carries a hefty premium but the others are cheap.

Here are my faves-

DC

1. Batman

2. Green Arrow (starting w/#17: Lemire & Sorrentino)

3. Dial H (fun, quirky book)

MARVEL

1. Hawkeye

2. Daredevil

3. FF

1. Saga

2. Chew

3. East of West

4. Nowhere Men

DARK HORSE

1. Star Wars

ONI

1. Sixth Gun

2. Helheim

I haven't read much of Valiant's new stuff but I've been hearing good things (especially Archer & Armstrong).

Seriously, all good books but where is the Bedlam love?... Killer book IMO

Marvel - Superior is a good read, hawkeye

DC - batman, Injustice gods (great read)

Image- Bedlam, NWM, WD! , Peter Panzerfaust

ONI - Helheim

Image:

1. Invincible

2. Saga

3. Chew

Marvel:

1. Hawkeye

2. Daredevil

3. Superior Spider-man

DC:

1. Aquaman

2. Swamp Thing

3. Animal Man

Valiant:

1. Harbinger

2. X-O Manowar

3. Archer & Armstrong

Image: Invincible

Marvel: Thor

DC: Green Lantern, GLCorps, Akkaman

Dark Horse: Black Beetle

I just got caught up on Thor and Black Beetle last night. Thor is a great storyline and I'm excited to see where it goes. Black Beetle might be my new favorite. The art is beautiful in my opinion, I love everything about it. Only downside is that Francisco (sp) does everything himself and he said he wasn't sure if he would be able to pop out more than 4 books a year. I met FF at Megacon and he was a super dude. Really regret not having him draw me a Black Beetle sketch.

I love these threads because I am new to comics, and there are a bunch of good things out there to be reading but I can't expand my pull list much more because I already don't have any room :/

Another Marvel that I hear a ton about is Hawkeye.