• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buy 'em where they ain't **MCP: Weapon X**

7 posts in this topic

surfin' the boards on the topic of "advise to collector's" and you might find the strategy touted "Buy 'em where they ain't."

Well? It appears they ain't at Marvel Comics Presents: Weapon X. I recently picked this run up in off-the-shelf, NM- to NM/MT condition from a major online for $17 (MileHigh; twelve issues with (2x) #72 in NM+). I was spurred to do so post-X2, with the movie scenes of of the Weapon X experiments and recalling BWS' stellar pencils and coloring. I also finally read ORIGIN ("where they are") in TPB and wanted both 'origin' stories fresh on my mind. I WON'T start the Origin v. Weapon X debate, 'cept to say hotD@MN! MCP: Weapon X is 'where it's at!'

These books came out right at the end of the Great Distrubution War. Many were orderd by shops and distributors that went out of business,so there was plenty of overstock. Fifteen years later,they are mostly forgotten and fairly cheap. MCP was a great concept that was hindeed by poor execution.

ya i just ordered my ORigins issues ..( waiting for the bastid i won the auction fer to respond back to me 893crossfingers-thumb.gif )

but ya i was huge fan of the MCP: Weapon X, i have the first issue somewhere , and ive thought of collecting the TPB or the actual issues, and i guess cuz there cheap now ( i.e. not really people intrested in em) ...i haven't read Origins but i do know alot about wolverine and his "past" , but what is wierd is that his "past" is hard to really know if its true cuz of the mental implants ...

but anyway , i love that BWS , but i only know that book that he worked on, and ive always wanted to read more of his stuff...great freaking art...did he also write the story? man i forget ...some wolvie fan i am smile.gif heh...

good question on the who scripted the Weapon X story--ANYONE? i will check and get back to you. if you like Wolverine, you'll like Origin. i saw nothing there to diminish the characters lore.

if you like BWS... what about Conan? i never collected it, but he did strong work there. i enjoyed BWS' run on Valiant's Solar Man of the Atom (even Wizard highlighted his Alpha/Omega work that appears as almost a supplement to issues #1-10). that's where i got tuned into his art. he also did some other stuff about Gods (oversized format) and a short lived title called Rune. plus he probably has other work in the Bronze age that i am unaware.

ive thought of collecting the TPB or the actual issues, and i guess cuz there cheap now ( i.e. not really people intrested in em)

collect the issues-- they are cheap! check out MileHigh, as they were recently overstocked and those issues were $1.20 to 2.40 each in NM. the whole run cost me $17.40 or something. the artwork, story, covers, all solid- this run is underpriced.

it is true that they were printed during the 1990's boom, at it's peak probably (~1992), but that also means that there are lots of nice copies out there, if you're willing to look. Origin is a great read, don't get me wrong, but it has not undone the Weapon X saga/origin. And Origin seems a little inflated right now ($20+ a book at my LCS...).