• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay rant about raw comics

76 posts in this topic

Hello there,

I usually don't post that much or rant that much either. But this is something I just really need to vent about. I've been trying to complete a few sets lately.

All Star Batman & Robin, The Boy Wonder

Batman & Robin(Morrisons 2009 run)

All Star Superman

Batman Incorporated(2009)

Nightwing(New 52)

Well, I only need about 20+plus books to complete everything. I'm a high grade collector so it must be a 9.8. Well, as you all know the main place to get raw books is eBay. I have managed to find several that meet my requirements. Overall though I have wasted a sh*t ton of money on raw books. It's truly starting to drive me crazy. Now, my grading is a little off when it comes to 9.8's. I was always told that the books have to have ZERO flaws to get a 9.8 but it seems like every book I've been getting off of eBay lately has 8 spine ticks in it that break color and honestly 90% of the packaging that's used leaves a lot left to be desired. Sorry if this comes off as whiny but it's really getting to me. I just really want to finish these runs up. Again it maybe my grading or due to some of those runs using that card stock front cover but this has truly been a nightmare.

I was always told that the books have to have ZERO flaws to get a 9.8

Then how do 9.9s and 10s occur?

Well every raw I have that has passed my eye test/grade test is going to get pressed. A combination of me not knowing if one spine tick will knock it down to a 9.6 and some books just coming not in stated condition is driving me crazy.

If you're submitting all of the raw candidates, why not purchase them already slabbed? I understand if you can't find certain comics already graded, but if you can, it seems like it would save a lot of time and effort.

woah, woah, woah. You're in Auburn? Since when are there comic book people here? Where is your pull list at? Are you a grown-up or a student?

As for your problem, it's tough to buy something on eBay, especially when every seller thinks their book is gem mint even though it is loaded with spine ticks and other silly things.

woah, woah, woah. You're in Auburn? Since when are there comic book people here? Where is your pull list at? Are you a grown-up or a student?

As for your problem, it's tough to buy something on eBay, especially when every seller thinks their book is gem mint even though it is loaded with spine ticks and other silly things.

Yep, been here for 9 years now. I'm a business owner but was a student a few years ago. God, I miss it.

I've reached the maximum on slabs. The books I need to complete the series I just simply can't find slabbed. Don't get me wrong guys. I buy slabbed all the time. I hate buying raw books. If you want, I can list the books I need by issue but I'm telling you I've looked every where.

If you need to have 9.8 copies, then only buy slabbed 9.8.
What if you just can't find them? For instance I've been looking over eBay for 5 months now and outside of the #1 I have seen two other All Star Superman issues pop up. I believe it was #4 and #5 or something to that degree. But two, that's it.

Yep, been here for 9 years now. I'm a business owner but was a student a few years ago. God, I miss it.

I've reached the maximum on slabs. The books I need to complete the series I just simply can't find slabbed. Don't get me wrong guys. I buy slabbed all the time. I hate buying raw books. If you want, I can list the books I need by issue but I'm telling you I've looked every where.

Have you checked the registry to see if there are any 9.8s for the comics you're looking for? I know that wouldn't solve the problem of who has the 9.8, but at least you'd know how many are out there and why they're hard to find.

Well in reference to All Star Superman anything past # 3 there is an average about 4 9.8's per issue. As far as Nightwing(New 52) those NEVER pop up either.

Yeah, I know what you mean about Nightwing. That's the only DC title I read, and I haven't seen many no matter what issue.

Well, I only need about 20+plus books to complete everything. I'm a high grade collector so it must be a 9.8. Well, as you all know the main place to get raw books is eBay.

Wrong. As Logan already suggested, the main place to get raw books and be sure they are properly graded is to ask here first, I guess. Or from any reputable seller. Surely not eBay. eBay would be the last place on earth I’d look to if I want to be assured about strict/proper grading. ;)

Said this, I fear I won’t be able to distinguish a 9.2 from a 10. As long as books are pretty much flawless I don’t dare to state they are beyond a NM 9.4.

But that’s my problem, and an entirely different matter. :)

9.8's usually have 2-3 minor imperfections. Usually it is the 2 bindery side corners just having a chad or some rubbing etc. Maybe one insignificant NCB tick on the spine or some other very hard to see flaw and that is it. 9.9's will literally have like one minor flaw. 10's, well, they are virtually flawless.

There are a lot of high grade copies to be found for those sets even on eBay, but to expect them to be 9.8 by CGC standards is farfetched. If they have to be 9.8 that you need to buy them already graded.

Ask or search on the boards about various dealers to find out who you should buy from.

9.8's usually have 2-3 minor imperfections. Usually it is the 2 bindery side corners just having a chad or some rubbing etc. Maybe one insignificant NCB tick on the spine or some other very hard to see flaw and that is it. 9.9's will literally have like one minor flaw. 10's, well, they are virtually flawless.

Thanks, much appreciated. I already guessed it, well – most of it. I do think I constantly grade my 9.6-9.8 as 9.4. I feel unsure to go beyond… lol