• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Modifies Stance on Grading Submissions with Tape

35 posts in this topic

I agree...thanks CGC ,,,,also CGC, if you are listening modify your stance on staple replacement of rusted staples which will eventually RUIN a comic book if they aren't replaced -but due to your green/purple label -- dissuades people from fixing the problem.

Give it a Blue label with a grading note instead of a qualified or purple label. And maybe just start with gold/silver age books (before people knew of correct storage conditions). It would also give a ton of business to CCS!!!

Anyone with me??? :-D

I agree...thanks CGC ,,,,also CGC, if you are listening modify your stance on staple replacement of rusted staples which will eventually RUIN a comic book if they aren't replaced -but due to your green/purple label -- dissuades people from fixing the problem.

Give it a Blue label with a grading note instead of a qualified or purple label. And maybe just start with gold/silver age books (before people knew of correct storage conditions). It would also give a ton of business to CCS!!!

Anyone with me??? :-D

Yes - just as the tape decision removes the incentive to damage books, a staple decision along the lines you suggest would encourage good conservation principles. Staple cleaning would be preferable to staple replacement, as it would keep the original components of the book together. But I'm willing to bet there'd be enough pushback against this for it not to happen.

I actually like the staple replacement proposition. I hate leaving a rusted staple in a book I you could replace it to prevent migration. You are right that the green label dissuades people though.

I actually like the staple replacement proposition. I hate leaving a rusted staple in a book I you could replace it to prevent migration. You are right that the green label dissuades people though.

...... right on. If they're worth having, they're worth taking care of...... yes there is a such thing as conservation and it doesn't always have to be driven by the dollar sign......... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Overstreet has always allowed staple replacement with "vintage" staples. I too think allowing cleaning staples or replacement with vintage staples should be re examined.

If a detached cover is re-attached with tape, say with a piece running from top to bottom of the inside front and back cover seams, how can a grader be 100% sure that the cover would be detached if the tape were not present?

Here's another scenario - a cover is both detached and split in two pieces along the spine, and the first wrap is detached and split in 2 pieces. First the first wrap is taped together and reattached with tape, then the cover is taped together and reattached with tape. With all the tape in place, how does a grader find and appropriately grade the split first wrap? Unlikely but my point is - whatever your policy on tape, it can obscure defects and maybe the book should not be graded at all.

...... right on. If they're worth having, they're worth taking care of...... yes there is a such thing as conservation and it doesn't always have to be driven by the dollar sign......... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

+1

This may be a dumb question but does CGC's new stance on tape apply to archival tape or just cellophane?

If I have archival tape on the inside cover to connect a small piece or fix a tear is that restoration still?

Thanks for input it is appreciated.

Johnny

Overstreet has always allowed staple replacement with "vintage" staples. I too think allowing cleaning staples or replacement with vintage staples should be re examined.

Which begs the question if CGC fully adopted Overstreet grading standards why are they treating replaced rusted staples like a Restoration or Qualified book when Overstreet says it's okay for staples to be replaced in books up to Fine. And vintage staples in the VF/NM categories.

Anyone brave enough to "Ask CGC" ?

Which begs the question if CGC why are they treating replaced rusted staples like a Restoration or Qualified book when Overstreet says it's okay for staples to be replaced in books up to Fine. And vintage staples in the VF/NM categories.

Anyone brave enough to "Ask CGC" ?

I was not aware that CGC fully adopted Overstreet grading standards. From where did you get that?