• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A TALE OF ADAMS....NEAL THAT IS

24 posts in this topic

December of 1987,pick up a copy of Comics Buyer's Guide. Page 38,right-hand column.bottom

right connor, HEY L. A. Howard Chaykin Autograph Party! December 12th Sat. 12:00-3:00

Circus of Books 4001 sunset blvd.,Silverlake CA. (Where Santa MonicaBl. meets Sunset

Bl.)

So i call a good friend in West Covina,tell him i'm driving down for this,pack up some cloths,

and some Blackhawk books, and get ready for a 600 mile+ drive.( hey when do we get to

Adams?? ) Soon So i get to So Cal on Fri., crash at my friends and go out Sat.,to

Circus of Books. For all of you who don't know this is in West Hollywood(freak's & geek's).

Find the address, park, go inside. Well I'm in shock,it's a deli 893whatthe.gif so i ask some one

behind the counter if this is the right place. Yes "Howard is sitting right there..." Look over to

a card table set-up in a conner,sitting there is Howard Chaykin. Well ok. We talk,he signs the

books. For over an hour it's just the two of us.( ok here it comes )

We talk about comics,the art. the people, when he look's me in the eye and smiles.

Then begins this "ME(Chaykin),Jim(Starlin), And Neal(Adams) used to sit around drop Acid

and talk comics." I'M going WTF did I just hear, again Chaykin" it was all a blast...Jim would

supply, but the BEST always came from Neal..."

I look at Howard closer to see if I'm getting this right. He say's "If you ever see Neal , tell him

Howard say's hi, ...but be prepared , he (Adams) will NOT be happy ."

JUMP forward to San Deigo. Neal Adams is holding court, waiting an hour I get a chance

(alone) to ask..."Mr. Adams...Neal I have a message from Howard Chaykin...." No sooner

are those words out of my mouth, then he jumps up,rounds the table and is IN MY FACE.

(OOOO 893censored-thumb.gif I"M DEAD). He look's me stright in the eye(stare-down), then walk's away.

To this day i still don't know what this is all about. Do they have a HISTORY????

(changes made do not effect content )

gossip.gif It's ADAMS with one "D". Oh, and there's no such thing as the word you'r (possesive definition as in "What's mine is ....yours.") I've seen you use this a few times, and I couldn't bear to see it happen again.

Your pal on the peninsula,

-Jim

I dont know of any specific incident, but, Chaykin, Reese, and other up and comig 70s 'kids' all worked for Neal's Continuity Advertising art shop in the early 70s. Collectively they were the Crusty Bunkers who inked some of Neals pencils like in DCs Sword and Sorcery.

If you know Howard, you know he's a very personable, but headstrong confident guy. Not hard to believe that out of all Neal's accolades who came through Continuity that they would have a history of headbutting... just a guess....

I dont know of any specific incident, but, Chaykin, Reese, and other up and comig 70s 'kids' all worked for Neal's Continuity Advertising art shop in the early 70s. Collectively they were the Crusty Bunkers who inked some of Neals pencils like in DCs Sword and Sorcery.

If you know Howard, you know he's a very personable, but headstrong confident guy. Not hard to believe that out of all Neal's accolades who came through Continuity that they would have a history of headbutting... just a guess....

Thank's , knew about "Crusty Bunkers" but still... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif