• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who cares about newsstand covers?

52 posts in this topic

Such a beautiful thing.

BTW, do the Canadian price variants have both NS and Direst versions?

No. Canadian LCSs got the same direct market versions as the US LCSs. Those direct versions had US, Canadian and UK pricing on the cover. (Check out the price box on the X-Men 234 above)

The Canadian newsstands had the Canadian pricing, which was different due to the exchange rate.

Uncanny #234 -

27132-3092-30103-1-uncanny-x-men-the.jpg

-slym (wishes that were one he had a NS version of)

My first Uncanny X-Men to not have a barcode is issue 245. After that most are sans UPC, but they're almost all in VF, not NM.

For those who don't follow these things, the barcode (and it's numerical representation) are different for modern newsstand and modern direct editions, even from the same publisher.

Generally speaking, the first five digits in the numeric version:

Marvel Newsstand: 71486

Marvel Direct: 59606

DC Newsstand: 70989

DC Direct: 61941

There are some other variations from the mid-90s, such as those sold in Wal-Mart, which had a different first five for some reason.

In the late 1980s, First Comics distributed newstand versions of their books in very limited markets, so those are very hard to come by. I'm told Comico did, and there is a newstand version of Macross #1, but I've never seen one.

Early Image books are pretty difficult , and then you have books like the Avengers issue that was nine cents in the LCS but regular price on newstands. Those are no easy to find in HG.

The Spidey Wedding annual newstand cover is completely different from the newstand version.

I bought a collection last year that featured about 20 or so modern Marvel newsstands (F/VF at best), and it inspired me to try and put together a short Amazing Spider-Man run. So far they have been extremely tough to find unless I get lucky on eBay, and even then most people don't advertise them as newsstand editions, so you have to sift through auction after auction.

Honestly, half the people who put the word "newsstand" in the title are actually selling direct editions, and they either can't tell the difference because of the UPC or they don't care. Sorting through too many of those can get a little annoying after awhile.

Does anyone else out there actively seek these out?