• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who cares about newsstand covers?

52 posts in this topic

Wy is there a premium for newsstand covers?

I could understand if the cover was different but when the only difference is whether or not it has a UPC code, I just don't get why prices for these can be so much higher

I think it's because, back when they came out, most people were like me and preferred the direct market version (art in the box instead of the ugly UPC code), leaving the newsstand versions to sit on the shelf to get picked up by the more casual comic reader... Consequently, the newsstand versions are scarcer, and in some cases, a lot harder to find in HG.

Not only did the newsstand editions have to suffer on the spinner rack, the direct editions were mostly bought by comic book nerds and/or hoarders who knew what to look for in quality, and knew how to take care of their books

Buyers do pay premiums for them. Just do an ebay search for certain books with newsstand in the title. Sometimes they don't get much of a premium. On some key books however, newsstand buyers will battle for the newsstand copy. It is as niche market just like foriegn, 2nd print, price variant collectors.

I'm generally not willing to pay more for a newsstand but I do like them better. They remind me of a time when comics roamed the earth and could be found in every two bit gas station. In those days people read comics. They are curious relics of a bygone age, an age soon to be forgotten by modern collectors. Alas, people figured out you could charge $4.00 for a new comic if you confined them to a limited number of specialty shops and that rectangle on the cover became prime real estate.

I am curious though, people that have disdain for newsstands, do you place a premium on error copies like Walking Dead 35? Personally, I have a disdain for errors, I've never understood why defective items are more collectible, other than scarcity. In the end, what I collect rules and what you collect sucks. ;)

I'm generally not willing to pay more for a newsstand but I do like them better. They remind me of a time when comics roamed the earth and could be found in every two bit gas station. In those days people read comics. They are curious relics of a bygone age, an age soon to be forgotten by modern collectors.

That's cool, I do see your point. (Although as an additional personal nitpick, I don't even see newsstand comics at newsstands anymore! People are paying the premium for "comics distributed through bookstores and other retail markets" editions.)

just curious, what do store do (non-comic shops) if their newsstand comic book copies not sell? Are they able to return to the distributor? What do distributor do after months of release of a book that got returned by such customers? what is a typical percentage of newsstand print compare to the direct edition?

I'm generally not willing to pay more for a newsstand but I do like them better. They remind me of a time when comics roamed the earth and could be found in every two bit gas station. In those days people read comics. They are curious relics of a bygone age, an age soon to be forgotten by modern collectors.

That's cool, I do see your point. (Although as an additional personal nitpick, I don't even see newsstand comics at newsstands anymore! People are paying the premium for "comics distributed through bookstores and other retail markets" editions.)

As said earlier though, scarcity in HG is the reason. I sometimes go to Barnes and Noble and peruse the comics, and 99% of them are mangled even on realease day. There's always someone just sitting there reading all the books and manhandling them. The employees just drop them into the shelves resulting in almost all copies having massive spine damage. Kids rummage through them etc., etc. I did scoop a couple of books I wanted the other day by luck that were in HG, the rest were trashed.

If you want a quick way to watch the market...

UPC Amazing Spider-man #300 turns up less often and generally sells for more than Spidey-head Amazing Spider-man #300 in the same grade.

It's basically the representative comic for this discussion.

yeah, I was thinking older books, I don't have an opinion on the ultra modem newsstands. I guess completionists need them and they are tough in grade.

Newstands are just like price variants. I got np selling high grade copies ever especially afyer 2000. I know buyers on here that pay top dollar for higher grade copies of scarce books. Do u homework u can figure out which books they are but high grade is ellusive. I can sell a bunch of 9.6 ir higher on here easy.

Spawn 9 is not the norm its the perfect storm. I use to think print run mattered till NM 98 soared.

Harder to find in high grade, less of them made (nowadays), and, to me, its the thrill of the hunt. What's not to love? While flippers are busy hoarding the next big thing, I'd rather have the newstands. Take for instance Batman and "Red" Robin #19 released last month. I've found a few in bookstores but never in mint or even Fine plus there is a difference in cover in that the NE is not a gatefold cover therefore Carrie is not on the cover. Also, no die cuts for the Death in the Family NEs as well.