• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Definition and clarity on keys

28 posts in this topic

I have read a lot of threads and read the word "key" of "keys". I have also seen much debate on what books cut the mustard and what doesn't. I have seen disputes that a key does not necessarily mean the 1st appearance of a major character. I would think that a key IS the 1st appearance of a major character that has importance and a continued presence. I also think the permanent death of major characters are key as well. I do not think a rare book is key or a title that has a limited print run unless it has some specific importance. Chime in and lets see what you think. Floor is yours....

Comic collectors as a whole are stuck in the world of keys being 1st appearances I thought that might change with WD but it continued even though the marketplace appeared to be adjusting. A 1st appearance shouldn't make it automatically a key but given the decades of bad stories what other criteria could be used?

I agree I do not think a 1st appearance should make the cut automatically. I think the character has to have some level of importance. Is Bone 1 a key? What about ASM 300 or Hulk 181?

Major events and happenings that have huge implications on a book or a comics' history can also dictate a key. I.E., Michonne revenge issue, Lois Lane finds out Superman's identity, character comes out, etc. They're not major keys, but some are definitely worth owning.

My 2c

There are "keys" and there are "highly desirable" books.

I think a worthy project would be to start a thread in COMICS GENERAL and have a list of the following (this info could be in the first post and added to by the OP for organization). The problem is that the list would grow to a huge monstosity because everyone has a slightly different take on what is 'key' to them:

Golden Age Keys (and why):

Golden Age Highly Desirable (and why):

Silver Age Keys (and why):

Silver Age Highly Desirable (and why):

Bronze Age Keys (and why):

Bronze Age Highly Desirable (and why):

Copper Age Keys (and why):

Copper Age Highly Desirable (and why):

Modern Age Keys (and why):

Modern Age Highly Desirable (and why):

I agree that a "key" for the most part meets one (or all) of the following criteria:

(1) First issue of a popular series

(2) First appearance of an important/popular character

(3) Death of a major/important/popular character

On the other hand, highly desirable issues are often labeled as key, which is the catch-all phrase for these types of books. Example, ASM #298 is the first McFarlane. Does not meet the criteria for "key" but is highly desirable for other reasons. Secret Wars #8 (first black costume - or one of them) is another example of a highly desirable book, as is Hulk #340.

As with grading, defining a "key" is not an exact science. I guess in the end it comes down to the general concensus of most collectors and their opinion of a particular book. If 6 out of 10 collectors agree that Saga RRP is a "key" modern, then it becomes one in my book.

My 2c

I think a worthy project would be to start a thread in COMICS GENERAL and have a list of the following (this info could be in the first post and added to by the OP for organization). The problem is that the list would grow to a huge monstosity because everyone has a slightly different take on what is 'key' to them:

I agree that a "key" for the most part meets one (or all) of the following criteria:

On the other hand, highly desirable issues are often labeled as key, which is the catch-all phrase for these types of books. Example, ASM #298 is the first McFarlane. Does not meet the criteria for "key" but is highly desirable for other reasons. Secret Wars #8 (first black costume - or one of them) is another example of a highly desirable book, as is Hulk #340.

As with grading, defining a "key" is not an exact science. I guess in the end it comes down to the general concensus of most collectors and their opinion of a particular book. If 6 out of 10 collectors agree that Saga RRP is a "key" modern, then it becomes one in my book.

I agree! I hope that the Saga RRP is not considered a key. It is just rare and represents a hard to get book from a hugely popular series.

My 2c

I agree! I hope that the Saga RRP is not considered a key. It is just rare and represents a hard to get book from a hugely popular series.

don't worry..it's not a key. The only modern book that can garner that title is Walking Dead #1. even that is iffy.

A key comic is whatever WE as collectors determine to be key by our buying habits. 1st app can be keys, classic covers can be keys, direction changes in titles can be key, historical events can be keys, variants can be keys. Keys are whatever we determine them to be due to whatever we decide is worth chasing and spending more money on than surrounding issues and titles. (shrug)

The Saga RRP is certainly a key for Saga collectors. It's not just rare, it's the rarest version of the first issue/first appearance of all major characters.

Is it a key overall in the grand scheme of comic collecting? Not yet. Most of the more vintage-oriented dealers at a show probably wouldn't know what it is if you asked them.

There are key issues for individual series and then the "major keys" of the hobby (i.e. Spawn #9 is a key issue of Spawn, but isn't even a blip on the overall hobby's radar).

I hear you but I can't see a variant being a key. I can care less what it is. A variant would fall into the highly desired bucket in my opinion.

That doesn't make sense to me - a variant of a key would still be a key.

Remember Ultimate Spider-Man #1 white cover? That was the only version of that book anyone wanted and it was a variant.

If there was a 1:10 version of AF15, featuring the Ditko cover, it would certainly still be a key lol

Walking Dead number 1 IS a key book and I do not think by saying that it is pushing it. That book turned the comic industry on its ear. It is bringing in new readers who would have cared less about comics. Lets not even talk about other publishers trying to do the same thing. Funny party is the undead material isn't anything new!

I think everyone is touching on something that is; in a hobby like this, each collector will have a different definition of "key". There are some books that are recognized hobby wide as keys, but outside those huge books there is much debate. Many old school guys will argue that we don't and can't yet know which modern books are keys. Often perception of books as key changes over time (see the GA dead book thread).

Personally, there are books without which, I consider my collection incomplete - these are my keys. However, many people disagree. I'm sure there are many here that are content with their collections without a Mr. Mystery #12 or a Weird V.3 #5.

As a part time dealer, when I look at the hobby as a whole, I consider a book key if it sells for a premium over similar books. To me that means that book is important enough to someone for them to pay a premium to have it in their collection and therefore a key to someone.

Walking Dead number 1 IS a key book and I do not think by saying that it is pushing it. That book turned the comic industry on its ear. It is bringing in new readers who would have cared less about comics. Lets not even talk about other publishers trying to do the same thing. Funny party is the undead material isn't anything new!

Bone is a major key using very similar logic to WD 1