• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bigger SA Key: Silver Surfer 1 or Iron Man 1?

Bigger SA Key: Silver Surfer 1 or Iron Man 1?  

384 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger SA Key: Silver Surfer 1 or Iron Man 1?

140 posts in this topic

Full origin of the Silver Surfer, with kickarse John Buscema art. Also, a retelling of the origin of The Watcher by Colan.

Total win.

.... and TWICE the size...... although that cover to IM 1 is stunning. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Full origin of the Silver Surfer, with kickarse John Buscema art. Also, a retelling of the origin of The Watcher by Colan.

Total win.

+ first appearance of Shalla-Bal & Surfer's home world

"And fyi the surfer had his own title for around 10 years. Since someone said he never really had his own title. "

I just meant that he hadn't had his own solo title yet at that point. It just seems like a real "first issue", whereas IM #1 seems to me to not really feel like a #1 since he had 60 or so solo stories previously in TOS.

Both great books so it doesn't really matter. IM may be the best investment, I suppose. And who can argue with the IM #1 cover? Great book, as is the SS #1.

Silver Surfer 1 is easily more valuable. I sold a 9.8 for around 20k 5 or 6 years ago. As far as significance, I'd put the Surfer on top but not by much.

I wouldn't sell either of them short . . . :grin:

Total win.

Yes, yes, and yes. That first issue blew me away, and I read for the first time a few months ago. You could really tell Stan cared about the character and themes. Some of his finest work, and John Buscema's art was a perfect match.

I vote Silver Surfer. The fact that Iron Man # 1 is just a continuation from TOS and IM/SM reduces it's importance to me and the story always seemed a bit "nothingy" to me. The main thing it has going for it is an excellent cover IMHO.