• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best comic convention?

35 posts in this topic

I went to NYCC last year and while there was a ton of new media, the comics were still represented proper.

There's a lot of great cities in America, each with its own vibe and culture, but you can't beat NYC.

NYCC is a juggernaut. There's miles of new media stuff ... and still room for enough comics (quater bins to multiple Action 1s) to wear you out and empty your pockets.

O yeah, and the "Artists Alley" like doubles in size every year. It was a huge airplane hangar last year, with major talent in every row.

2nd O yeah: There's also the other floors, with tons of panels and whatnot. It's impossible to cover everything, even with a four day pass.

+2

NYCC was awesome!

I've been to all of them. The best pure comic show in the United States is Baltimore. There's nothing else that comes even close. Wizard Chicago is a great show, but there's way too much WizardCrap to put up with.

.... listen to Dan. The Geppi Comics Museum, Baltimore Aquarium, Inner Harbor, and a hop skip and jump to Washington, D.C........... now THAT'S a vacation that even the significant other will love....... don't over-think it..... just go...... you'll be glad. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The significant other doesn't need much convincing she wants to go to a con! Which is surprising because she doesn’t like fiction!

..... probably just really loves you ..... lucky guy. GOD BLESS...

P.S. Never been to NYCC but I hear it's so packed it's hard to breathe....

I've been to all of them. The best pure comic show in the United States is Baltimore. There's nothing else that comes even close. Wizard Chicago is a great show, but there's way too much WizardCrap to put up with.

.... listen to Dan. The Geppi Comics Museum, Baltimore Aquarium, Inner Harbor, and a hop skip and jump to Washington, D.C........... now THAT'S a vacation that even the significant other will love....... don't over-think it..... just go...... you'll be glad. GOD BLESS...

The significant other doesn't need much convincing she wants to go to a con! Which is surprising because she doesn’t like fiction!

This can be true. If she don't like fiction, I hope she can handle friction. :kidaround:

I have been to C2E2 and Wizard World Chicago and I have not been to WWC since the year after the publishers stop going to WWC. That year at WWC it seemed like it there was a lot of autograph stuff, which I am ok without.

I heard a rumor yesterday that Wizard is trying to come to Minneapolis, which I think that they are going overboard with their shows. I always looked forward to the WWC, but now that they have them everywhere, not so much.

This can be true. If she don't like fiction, I hope she can handle friction. :kidaround:

lol lol lol

Many of the comic book conventions are worth visiting. Each has their flavour and pluses/minuses.

The big city cons (NYC, San Diego, Chicago) are what you would expect - they are huge, busy and more things to do than time provides. You also get the added benefit of getting to see the city you are staying in.

--------------------

The difference between the two Chicago shows (Wizard in Rosemont and C2E2 in downtown Chicago) is diverse enough that you'd want to make a choice between the two.

The Wizard show in August is set in a small town about 40 minutes outside of Chicago. This makes for a VERY nice con experience for boardies because as mentioned, it's central to the US so many board members visit from all over, it's in the middle of the summer so many people are on vacation, it's in a small suburb where the only attraction is the con so this becomes the focus for everyone, and it's surrounded by hotels so everyone is close - you have evenings spent with boardies and collectors and various creators, etc all within a small proximity. The downside is that Chicago is nearly an hour away if you want to get away and see the city.

The other Chicago show (C2E2) is on the south of Chicago and only about a 10 minute cab ride from the Magnificent Mile and many other Chicago attractions (museums, shows, shopping, etc), but if people are not staying at the Hyatt Mcormick (the host hotel which is attached to the convention centre) then they are staying somewhere in the city and so people are more spread out. If you want to see the city then you can stay in the city and take the 10 minute cab right to the show for a day or two.

--------------------------

The NYC show (Which is put on by the same people that put on C2E2 - and they do put on a world class production) is much like the C2E2 show in flavour only bigger, except that EVERYONE is spread out because the show is at one end of Manhattan but hotels are spread through out the city. Not that it's a negative - you are in NYC and there is always something to do and you can stay within a 5-8 minute cab ride or a 20 minute walk if you want to. It's just a different flavour and makes it tougher to meet other board members...and it is NYC. It's everything you thought it would be - noisy, brash, competitive, unrelenting but also exciting and never ending.

-----------------------

San Diego is a world unto itself. You enter the city with the notion that this is a place you'd want to live in - the weather is always perfect, the city is large but not too large to crowd you and the people are friendly. The downtown is small and quaint enough that you will bump into people you know regularly, attractive enough that it makes you want to come back (it's a historic town with lots of culture and colour) and quite literally the entire city transforms into a comic con host. It's one big party. The show itself is by far the largest of the shows and is held right on the waterfront, at the start of down town. It's a packed show with all the major film makers, video game maker and toy makers (as well as comic makers) bringing their "A game" to show the world and although it's also a comic show, dealers have been complaining for years that the rest of the media is crowding both them and their customers out of the show and so the combination of expenses and lack of comic exposure has slowly deteriorated the quality of vintage comics represented there. You'll still find plenty of comics...more than you'll ever be able to buy but the selection is camouflouged within the rest of the show but the added attractions to me are the historic sections of the city and the gorgeous gas lamp district (downtown core).

Baltimore and Charlotte were already mentioned as well. Those shows are perfect examples of what I would call "family friendly comic book shows".

The focus is mainly comics, both cities and shows have a very similar "feel" to them and they are well frequented by a slew of board members (most East coast to Central boardies), much like Chicago is, because they have that "friendly comic book show" reputation.

------------------------

There are many other terrific "comic only" shows out there like Terry's 1 day show in Yorba Linda every January, the Virginia Comic Con and several others but if you're coming from over seas (you're from Aussie, aren't you?), I'm going to assume you are not going to fly in for just a comic book show - although many British boardies do just that for the East coast shows - but hopefully this helps you make a decision. If I had to come in from far away at great expense and wanted to make the most of the trip and had to choose between just 2 shows, it would be NYC in the fall or SD in July.

Good luck!

Many of the comic book conventions are worth visiting. Each has their flavour and pluses/minuses.

The big city cons (NYC, San Diego, Chicago) are what you would expect - they are huge, busy and more things to do than time provides. You also get the added benefit of getting to see the city you are staying in.

--------------------

The difference between the two Chicago shows (Wizard in Rosemont and C2E2 in downtown Chicago) is diverse enough that you'd want to make a choice between the two.

The Wizard show in August is set in a small town about 40 minutes outside of Chicago. This makes for a VERY nice con experience for boardies because as mentioned, it's central to the US so many board members visit from all over, it's in the middle of the summer so many people are on vacation, it's in a small suburb where the only attraction is the con so this becomes the focus for everyone, and it's surrounded by hotels so everyone is close - you have evenings spent with boardies and collectors and various creators, etc all within a small proximity. The downside is that Chicago is nearly an hour away if you want to get away and see the city.

The other Chicago show (C2E2) is on the south of Chicago and only about a 10 minute cab ride from the Magnificent Mile and many other Chicago attractions (museums, shows, shopping, etc), but if people are not staying at the Hyatt Mcormick (the host hotel which is attached to the convention centre) then they are staying somewhere in the city and so people are more spread out. If you want to see the city then you can stay in the city and take the 10 minute cab right to the show for a day or two.

The NYC show (Which is put on by the same people that put on C2E2 - and they do put on a world class production) is much like the C2E2 show in flavour only bigger, except that EVERYONE is spread out because the show is at one end of Manhattan but hotels are spread through out the city. Not that it's a negative - you are in NYC and there is always something to do and you can stay within a 5-8 minute cab ride or a 20 minute walk if you want to. It's just a different flavour and makes it tougher to meet other board members...and it is NYC. It's everything you thought it would be - noisy, brash, competitive, unrelenting but also exciting and never ending.

-----------------------

San Diego is a world unto itself. You enter the city with the notion that this is a place you'd want to live in - the weather is always perfect, the city is large but not too large to crowd you and the people are friendly. The downtown is small and quaint enough that you will bump into people you know regularly, attractive enough that it makes you want to come back (it's a historic town with lots of culture and colour) and quite literally the entire city transforms into a comic con host. It's one big party. The show itself is by far the largest of the shows and is held right on the waterfront, at the start of down town. It's a packed show with all the major film makers, video game maker and toy makers (as well as comic makers) bringing their "A game" to show the world and although it's also a comic show, dealers have been complaining for years that the rest of the media is crowding both them and their customers out of the show and so the combination of expenses and lack of comic exposure has slowly deteriorated the quality of vintage comics represented there. You'll still find plenty of comics...more than you'll ever be able to buy but the selection is camouflouged within the rest of the show but the added attractions to me are the historic sections of the city and the gorgeous gas lamp district (downtown core).

Baltimore and Charlotte were already mentioned as well. Those shows are perfect examples of what I would call "family friendly comic book shows".

The focus is mainly comics, both cities and shows have a very similar "feel" to them and they are well frequented by a slew of board members (most East coast to Central boardies), much like Chicago is, because they have that "friendly comic book show" reputation.

------------------------

There are many other terrific "comic only" shows out there like Terry's 1 day show in Yorba Linda every January, the Virginia Comic Con and several others but if you're coming from over seas (you're from Aussie, aren't you?), I'm going to assume you are not going to fly in for just a comic book show - although many British boardies do just that for the East coast shows - but hopefully this helps you make a decision. If I had to come in from far away at great expense and wanted to make the most of the trip and had to choose between just 2 shows, it would be NYC in the fall or SD in July.

Good luck!

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. We are thinking NYC but they all sound great! I am Australian so we will be staying for three to four weeks depending on how much time she can get off work.

Heck, if you're coming for 3 or 4 weeks, you may even be able to visit more than one con in a given area. Many shows do overlap.

For example. SD and WW Chicago are 4 weeks apart...and there is a smaller show going on literally every weekend somewhere.

Convention Scene Calendar.

Another thing to keep in mind, especially if you're visiting from the other side of the world.

(thumbs u

If you want to see an entire downtown transformed into comic con then SDCC is the place. You have to experience it at least once in your lifetime.

<a  href=4838283492_71f388010e_z_zps85306bfd.jpg'

6039250217_14d354a615_zps0e064f8e.jpg

7552663692_0e256e3dfe_z_zps034173cb.jpg

Bear in mind that obtaining tickets for SDCC will be challenging, unless you know someone. You will find obtaining tickets for NYCC would be much easier. I am certain that obtaining tickets for NYCC will be more challenging in the near future.

I went to NYCC last year and while there was a ton of new media, the comics were still represented proper.

There's a lot of great cities in America, each with its own vibe and culture, but you can't beat NYC.

+1

1.NYCC

2. SDCC--I would place this first but I collect sketch covers and the artist alley was pretty small last year compared to the rest of the venue

3. Baltimore--pure comic heaven :cloud9:2c

Dont forget Heroes in Charlotte ..... comics , comics , comics everywhere and nary a wrestler or has been actor to be seen

+2 except I do remember a wrestler there not that long ago....the guy with the sock puppet.....somebody knows who I'm talking about right?

Dont forget Heroes in Charlotte ..... comics , comics , comics everywhere and nary a wrestler or has been actor to be seen

+2 except I do remember a wrestler there not that long ago....the guy with the sock puppet.....somebody knows who I'm talking about right?

Mick Foley?

This thread is actually turning out to be pretty important for me as I want to hit up a US convention next year, as I've only ever been going to the Calgary Con, Edmonton Con, and Red And White Club mini-con in Calgary.

Would like to hit up a proper, large scale US con.... sounds like Baltimore or NYCC are the ones to be aiming for (I would go to SDCC, as I know it's pop culture mecca, but only when I feel the overriding need to roast in the Californian sun :P)