• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where have all the keys gone....OR, the decline of western civilization in comic

50 posts in this topic

In the 70s there's a zillion keys in Marvel alone. Lots of characters debuting.

Wolverine

Nightcrawler

Sabretooth

Punisher

Ghostrider

Colossus

Moon Knight

Iron Fist

Luke Cage

Mystique

Ms Marvel

Thanos

Nova

Bullseye

And probably many more making first appearances in comic books. At the time they weren't considered key like they are now but we are starring to see interest in copper characters like:

Apocalypse

Mr Sinister

Cable (getting hot again)

Darkhawk

Deadpool just keeps getting hotter

Gambit sees peaks and valleys solid $40 guaranteed

Bishop

Carnage

The key first appearance books I predict that will be stupid valuable from Marvel in the future:

X-23

Fantomex

Flash Thompson as Venom

Superior Spider-Man

Winter Soldier

That's about it for now. Marvel keeps having yearly event books that in my estimation are the equivalent to a story arc in The Avengers in the 70s. Age of Ultron should be told in a regular Avengers comic.

Darkhawk :cloud9:

It's all about the Darkhawk and New Warriors! :headbang:

Wolverine

Nightcrawler

Sabretooth

Punisher

Ghostrider

Colossus

Moon Knight

Iron Fist

Luke Cage

Mystique

Ms Marvel

Thanos

Nova

Bullseye

And probably many more making first appearances in comic books. At the time they weren't considered key like they are now but we are starring to see interest in copper characters like:

Apocalypse

Mr Sinister

Darkhawk

Bishop

Carnage

The key first appearance books I predict that will be stupid valuable from Marvel in the future:

X-23

Fantomex

Flash Thompson as Venom

Superior Spider-Man

Winter Soldier

That's about it for now. Marvel keeps having yearly event books that in my estimation are the equivalent to a story arc in The Avengers in the 70s. Age of Ultron should be told in a regular Avengers comic.

I now have two Darkhawk 1 in 9.8 ;-)

:golfclap:

I am going to hold off stating how many I have right now...I have a few on their way to CGC or Joey. lol it became an addiction.

I'm actively looking for CGC 9.8 copies of issues #4 - 10. LMK if you get any extra! :golfclap:

I think the Golden-Copper Ages will be seen as the era of the super-hero but that the best books coming out of the Modern era will be those alternative stories that really expanded on the medium.

Of course there are still keys in terms of super-heroes especially first appearances and character defining arcs (those still exist for the record), but I think the real gems will end up being the early alternative works. I also think its an age of the writer more than the artist, and that the best works/storylines from guys like Bendis (I'm not his biggest fan anymore but he has many), Brubaker, Vaughn, Kirkman, Hickman, Morrison, Snyder, etc. will be the things to own.

Some of my picks would be:

Walking Dead #1

Sandman #1 & #8

Y: The Last Man #1

Fables #1

Powers #1

Runaways #1

Animal Man #1

Preacher #1

Invincible #1

New X-Men (Morrison Run)

Captain America (Winter Solider arc)

And if some of these comics have staying power, but I'm not sold yet:

Saga #1

Manhattan Projects #1

East of West #1

Off the top of my head

-Coyote #11 (first Todd Mcfarlane)

There were quite a few creators that debuted in the Copper Age. May as well list a few of those if you are going for a hunt list. Alpaha Flight #51 is another super bargain, along with other 1st work contributions. Neil Gaiman started off at DC with the Black Orchid mini-series. A super little read.

And if anyone is a great buy, it would be a certain someone that helped Gaiman make the jump into comic books. You can't go wrong with Copper Age greatness!

When waiting for a train at Victoria Station in 1984, Gaiman noticed a copy of Swamp Thing written by Alan Moore, and carefully read it. Moore's fresh and vigorous approach to comics had such an impact on Gaiman that he would later write; "that was the final straw, what was left of my resistance crumbled. I proceeded to make regular and frequent visits to London's Forbidden Planet shop to buy comics".

If you mean Jim Lee for Alpha Flight 51 his first work was actually the Solson Christmas Special: Samurai Santa!

Key comic: Licensable Bear 4?

Wolverine

Nightcrawler

Sabretooth

Punisher

Ghostrider

Colossus

Moon Knight

Iron Fist

Luke Cage

Mystique

Ms Marvel

Thanos

Nova

Bullseye

Apocalypse

Mr Sinister

Darkhawk

Bishop

Carnage

X-23

Fantomex

Flash Thompson as Venom

Superior Spider-Man

Winter Soldier

I now have two Darkhawk 1 in 9.8 ;-)

:golfclap:

I am going to hold off stating how many I have right now...I have a few on their way to CGC or Joey. lol it became an addiction.

I'm actively looking for CGC 9.8 copies of issues #4 - 10. LMK if you get any extra! :golfclap:

Nothing slabbed right now, but I'm working on a pre-screen as we speak. I will keep you posted via PM.

Supposedly, the DVD extras of the new documentary about Venus and Serena Williams shows Venus to be a huge comics fan, hitting shops in every city tour stop. She especially likes Hellboy.

If 68 becomes a movie, that would be great news for me. I have stacks.

If you mean Jim Lee for Alpha Flight 51 his first work was actually the Solson Christmas Special: Samurai Santa!

It is. But Alpha Flight #51 is his 1st Marvel work, and what put him on the map!!

Alpha_Flight_Vol_1_51.jpg

The cover caught my attention back then (Hilary Barta). The pencils are what made me want more of this artist.