• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA archival supplies, changes are needed

19 posts in this topic

First, a question: Why are Super Golden Age sleeves so damn small? A quarter of an inch of space at the top and the bottom of the sleeve is NOT enough. The sleeves put stress on the edges of the book. It's about time that these stupid companies make the sleeves larger. It's simply ridiculous. I have a copy of Blue Bolt Weird Tales in a BCE sleeve right in front of me. The book is 7.25" x 10" and the sleeve is 8.25"x 10.5". That leaves a half inch on the left and right and a QUARTER inch on the top and bottom. And no, I'm not interested in buying magazine-sized sleeves instead due to the difference in price. The Super Golden Age sleeves should be made at least a half inch taller to start.

They aren't going to listen to one collector. Anyone agree with me on this?

Also, are there any opinions out there on the following:

BCE vs. Gerber

buffered vs. non-buffered backing boards

I realize that this isn't the most pressing issue in the world, but I'm surprised that no one has an opinion on the supplies that are available. The reason that the size of the SGA sleeves bothers me is that they are too tight and appear to be putting stress on the books and possibly damaging them. It's also not a trivial matter to get a delicate/brittle book back into the sleeve.

I use Gerber, and I have used them for all the Blue Bolt Weird Tales. For GA books, I use two sizes - the larger GA size for books like the early Timely's, and I believe I can actually use the SA sizes for the Blue Bolts and the smaller Timely's like the later All Selects. I will check this evening and let you know the product numbers I use.

Also, you can custom order sizes for the backing boards. I use buffered full-baks.

Click here to visit their website.

Thanks for the info... I'm debating between BCE and Gerber for my GA stuff.

Anyone have an opinion on the buffered boards? They are quite pricey from BCE at least. My collection of books that should really be protected is probably under 300 or so, so it's not that bad. Could the buffering be harmful? Could it change the color or structural integrity of the paper?

Could the buffering be harmful? Could it change the color or structural integrity of the paper?

Just the opposite. Buffered boards are alkaline so they neutralize acids to some extent. Paper in Comic books is acidic, especially on older comics. (Acidity is one of the main causes for paper deterioration)

Basically: if possible you should buy buffered boards only.

Anyone using microchamber paper inside their mylars?

I would only use these for raw books that are worth some decent bucks or for some of my older GA books that I haven't slabbed yet. I think I will buy a small amount of these next time I make an order just to see what they are like.

Main reason is to keep the paper in the backing board from becoming acidic. It also neutralizes acids that migrate from comic to backing board.

Another important aspect of the buffered board is that it helps neutralize airborne acids. It helps establish a small atmosphere, so to speak where acids from external sources are kept in check as well.

I strongly suggest to drop Bill Cole. I live within driving distance, but I still pay to ship E.Gerber stuff to me. Prices are about the same despite that, surprisingly.

The 2mm Gerbers are great, but do suffer somewhat from what you are talking about. The super-gold's could be a little taller, but only are REALLY big books are as tight as you are claiming with the BCEs.

Instead of using tape on these, I snip the corners on the flaps and tuck them. They stay tucked very well. I do not think tape is necessary.

I'm curious about why you choose Gerber over Cole. I'm about to spend a lot of money on supplies and since I haven't used Gerber before, I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks...

Thanks for the tip on the Mylites without tape. That's a good idea.

I don't know if I can quantify my preference. I get the sense that the quality control the the gerber products is tighter, especially on the low end. The thin Gerber boards surely seem better. They have cleaner edges, and fit well. The 1mm mylites seem to have stronger seals. I have never used the BCE 2mm product, but I can't imagine a better sleeve than Egerber ones. I have never had one come apart.

I haven't used any of the higher end products. Wish I couldconfidently say more.

I get a little leery of the non-supply related stuff BCE gets into. Pushing mini-busts and Comicbase (not that I don't like them, it just seems weird).

Bottom line, I feel I get more for my money at Gerber, even though I pay a little more. And I only pay more since I don't need BCE to ship me stuff. I think gerber is cheaper overall.

Thanks for the feedback...

Even though I've ordered from BCE before, I'm also annoyed at the non-archival businesses that they get involved in, as well as the difficulties I've had in getting things shipped to me. For instance, not all items can go to a PO Box... some things they will only ship via Fed-Ex ground, which would be fine for me normally, but not to a PO box.