• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moral dilemma…should I say something?

What would you do?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

189 posts in this topic

Ok, believe it or not – I MAY have found my white whale! There is a guy who saw all my bids on eBay on Star Wars comics and sent me an email… he said that he as about 60 Star Wars comics that his late son collected years ago. I started emailing this guy getting some more information from him and finally got a photograph of some of the comics… although the photo is a bit fuzzy I think I can make out a .35 cent #1. The guy is only asking $50.00 for the lot. Each one is stored properly (reason for bad photo was glare on bag) and have been sitting in his basement for 15 years, (since his son died.)

IF I can confirm that the #1 I saw in the photo is my white whale, should I tell him that his comics are worth MUCH more than $50.00? People are paying $2500 for that one issue…probably more…. What should I do? Tell him or give him the 50 bucks and smile?

Why don't you confirm that it is the actual variant and not a reprint before you do anything. Can you see the UPC code on the #1? confused.gif

Can't see the UPC but the SW reprints had the price and date (if there was a date) in a big diamond... My avatar shows what it should look like (its fake) and from what I can see in the pic it looks like the real deal.

Leave it to you to wonder whether you should rip off a guy who has lost his son just so you can get one of your sissy Star Wars comics. At least when Chuck bought the Mile High collection, he tried to be honest and fair with the people selling the goods (they just didn't want to listen).

You have the moral character of dog .

One option is to pay the $50.00 and get the comics. If it's real, you can compensate him for the discrepency, still giving yourself a good deal, but enough that he isn't being ripped off.

Why not give it outright? Some logic holes in his story.

You might ask yourself why he began tracking your bids (it's a little odd, especially if he feigns ignorance about ebay. Why doesn't he just sell the comics himself in auction?). And if he was tracking your auctions, he must have seen the prices on Star Wars comics. Why doesn't he know the value? If he did enough research to track an individual's auctions, one can pretty much assume he's tracked a lot of SW auctions. Where did he come up with his $50 figure?

Last note: you're not protected by ebay if you deal outside of it. chances are this guy won't take credit cards either. So it is a risk.

-- Joanna

I'm with Joanna on this one. I don't know the details like you do but based on what you have told us it seems like a scam to me. Also what is the condition of the #1. Not all #1's sell for $2500 I mean you even said yourself you couldn't tell. It may be like a g/vg p.o.s and then $50 doesn't look as good. I'd go with Joanna's advice if I were you.

Ericc123

Very good points Joanna. I was so flabbergasted by the fact I thought I found THE comic that I did not even bother to look into the possibilities of a scam here. I'll do a bit more digging... the photo he took was with a poloroid camera and mailed to me...I'll try to get him to send another of him with the comic in one hand and a current newspaper in the other.... Then if it is authentic, I will probably compensate him rather well. He may not be a scammer...he may be...we'll see.

Thanks.

This is a scam, my friend, pure and simple. Ask him if he has any old butter lying around as well (don't worry, somebody here will explain it to you).

If he has been "tracking" all your auctions, blah blah blah. I'd make sure you get better pictures first.

And, btw, the 35 in your avatar is wrong. The numbers on the Star Wars 1 35 cent issue are much fatter and wider than what you have. Go here and you can see what they look like.

Finally, if you're serious about it, Motor City has two of them graded, but they're not cheap.

Socalcomics in San Diego has two also, ungraded, for $100 in VG+ and $48 in Good (the VG+ one is an exceptionally good deal.) Hopefully you can get one!

Ask him if he has any old butter lying around as well (don't worry, somebody here will explain it to you).

If they don't I'll hunt you down until you tell me... wink.gif

And, btw, the 35 in your avatar is wrong. The numbers on the Star Wars 1 35 cent issue are much fatter and wider than what you have.

I knew it was not right...just farting around on photoshop. Thanks for the links to the real one...It'll be changed before the end of the night!

Socalcomics in San Diego has two also, ungraded, for $100 in VG+ and $48 in Good (the VG+ one is an exceptionally good deal.) Hopefully you can get one!

Sir, you just earned yourself 5 stars from me!

U da MAN!

Thanks for the laugh. You really shouldn't believe all you hear, especially from the side that made a killing.

And I suppose you were...of course...there when it happened and know all of the true details. Why does everyone in here think they know more than everyone else? Very weird.

Why does everyone in here think they know more than everyone else?

You know Mouse, you're a very negative guy. Perhaps the fact that several of us have been in the comic selling industry for a significant period of time (25 years for me, lengthy periods of time for others), and that the industry is really quite small, and the same stories repeat themselves over and over and over again throughout said industry, means that we may have actually, oh, I don't know, gleaned just a small nugget of information or two about some stuff.

Believe me when I tell you this - the books that are the crux of the other thread are not owned by a mystical zero feedback seller in Peru. They are owned by the Pacific Comic Exchange, and have been for a while.

I'd be happy to discuss comics with you at any time (my specialty is the discussion over what what was the best FF period in history, I vote for EITHER FF 38-51 or FF 166-175), but if you're not going to listen to people who know what they're talking about, you're just wasting ours and your time.

I agree. Like a Pharoah, EVERY dealer has books they will be "entombed" with. Part of their "after-life inventory". Some of these are PCE's "Netherworld bound Inventory". Books that wouldn't move at HALF the asking price. These are the books that identify and will be buried with the Seller. The Action 6 especially, is PCE's "Monkey's Paw"...permanent inventory.

Signing off after 1756 posts.....you all play nice.....and good luck in your collecting.

Why are you leaving us Bug??? Say it ain't so. It just seemed like yesterday when we had that earth-shaking gif war. Ah, the memories..........

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics