• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Signature Series books shunned almost as much as PLOD books?

235 posts in this topic

I love sig series and have about 300 books, but I dont think that High Grade Gold/Silver, peds or High grade keys should be signed.

+1, don't own any SS but see the attraction for moderns where there are hundreds of 9.8's

I think a lot of resentment comes from the fact that only witnesses can get a yellow label. All those TMNT and older Kirby sigs and everything are "less" than sigs that can be verified by a cgc witness.

Kirby, Kane, and all of the other talent that left us before CGC SS are never considered "less"

I'd trade any SS in my collection for a Blue book with a kirby sig inside as long as it has decent provenance (i.e. I trust the guy selling it, and he got it signed, or he trusts the guy who got it signed...)

i really dont like the cgc SS books.

something about that thick black marker pen on the FC

id rather CGC get the artist /writer to sign the slab , not the book

ppl's thoughts?

slab signings arent certified, SS makes the books easier comodities cause the authentication is far more trusted/likely.

as others said, do what you like, and you'll be happy.

(and I'll do the same!)

Me? Im happy with the SS program, though I do cringe a little when high grade GA/SA books, or one of a kind pedigrees get signed just because they are already rare enough, and there's something to their purity... but again... if its your book, you get to decide what to do...

heck Ryan Ottley had a bonfire with all of his old Invincible OA...

It seems like comics are the only books where an authentic signature causes an argument as to whether or not the book is "better." Any other type of book with an authentic signature, even rare books by classic authors, increase in value and desirability.

Thank Stan Lee and his "spider" for that...

:lol: :roflmao::jokealert:

-slym

That book may be the joke of the hobby now, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if, on the sad day when Stan passes, that book suddenly becomes a prized piece of Stan memorabilia.

Does CGC slab Marvel Graphic Novels? And do they have Qualified labels for them? I have my "X-men: God Loves, Man Kills" GN signed by Chris Claremont on the inside front page.

I'd rather see it in Blue at a lower grade than in a GLOD.

(not that it is worth grading, really, just hypothetical)

Yes, and yes. Your book would get a blue label with the interior sig.

Thanks, Sean!

:applause:

-slym

It seems like comics are the only books where an authentic signature causes an argument as to whether or not the book is "better." Any other type of book with an authentic signature, even rare books by classic authors, increase in value and desirability.

-slym

That book may be the joke of the hobby now, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if, on the sad day when Stan passes, that book suddenly becomes a prized piece of Stan memorabilia.

I can see that...

you think you're joking, but you might not be?

I suppose there is a level of significance to the rarity of the signature itself (why Isaac newton's is more expensive than Justin Bieber, even though a much larger percentage of the world knows who J.B. is)

Stan is a great man, a living legend and responsible for much of the great hobby comics has become..............but how rare is his signature, really?

He is a prolific signer, but for how much longer?

:eek:

-slym

ppl's thoughts?

slab signings arent certified, SS makes the books easier comodities cause the authentication is far more trusted/likely.

(and I'll do the same!)

Me? Im happy with the SS program, though I do cringe a little when high grade GA/SA books, or one of a kind pedigrees get signed just because they are already rare enough, and there's something to their purity... but again... if its your book, you get to decide what to do...

I prefer sigs to be 1) gotten by me ; 2) on a book I own ; and 3) on the interior.

However, I can see both sides of the fence when it comes to signatures on HG older books. Some say "keep the pretty books pretty, and sign lower-grade copies" and others say "I want the best looking copy to get signed." I totally agree with both sides, as I like to leave people & their personal collecting habits up to them.

:grin:

-slym

ppl's thoughts?

(and I'll do the same!)

Your Joking right?

I like SS on books that I really like. I definitely would get all my Turner books signed if Turner was still around. As it stands, I am getting a Turner signed book in an eBay auction I won, so that's pretty near n dear to me as Witchblade (and, to some extent, the Uncanny X-Men) was the first book I REALLY collected... before my collection got stolen :(

Now, a signed #1 ACE variant? Hells yeah. Not even CGC slabbed, it's still worth it to me.

As the saying in our hobby goes: "A book is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it."

I also prefer signing on the inside of the comic.

But then you can't see the signature which defeats the purpose of the CGCSS Label.

No, it doesn't. It's still signed. It's still witnessed and legitimized by CGC.

In any event, It's a matter of personal preference

I will never buy a yellow label book. I'm old school, I think any signature on the cover of a book is defacing a nice book.

if one wants a sig, the splash page is the right place, imo.

I hold no ill will against those that like the cover signed, but I will never buy a yellow label (not that anyone cares).

I'm not much of a fan of signatures on any key book of any grade - but I think when you're a big fan of the artist/writer, I can totally see the desire for SS books.

I collect J Scott Campbell signatures, and the fun is tracking down the harder-to-find JSC books with sigs to make an otherwise drek book have some value and uniqueness.

For some strange reason Stan Lee signature are a big turn off. Although I am a fan of Stan Lee the placement of the signature and the general look of the signature on a book often looks "rushed and with little effort" if you compare it to Steranko or Romita Signature you can see the difference compared to Stan Lee Signatures. Also, the commonality of Stan Lee Signature detracts from the value in my opinion.

So depends on whose signature it is and the placement of the signature although I must say being a predominantly Golden age collector limits the likelihood of me ever getting a CGC SS.

But then you can't see the signature which defeats the purpose of the CGCSS Label.

I will never buy a yellow label book. I'm old school, I think any signature on the cover of a book is defacing a nice book.

I hold no ill will against those that like the cover signed, but I will never buy a yellow label (not that anyone cares).

Can't a sig on the first page get a yellow label?

Can't a sig on the first page get a yellow label?

Yes, it can