• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Signature Series books shunned almost as much as PLOD books?

235 posts in this topic

This is where I get flamed by everyone. A Stan Lee autograph is worth about $20. Take this into account when having him scribble his name onto a $30,000 comic. I see AF15’s, FF1’s, and other high value key issues that should be considered antiques. These books should be preserved as they are and as they were in (example) 1962 and not have 2013 ink across its cover. I put this in the same category as defacing the comic and for every high value key SS I consider that one less copy in the pool.

For newer books, why not. They are in abundance and if done well the signatures can look nice. Some copies here have a nice signature not really impacting the cover. SS is simply an autograph.

As someone (sorry I don't recall who it was) stated earlier in the thread... comics are the only collectible hobby where, for whatever reason, some people look down on having creator signatures on the book. The position you take above:

I put this in the same category as defacing the comic and for every high value key SS I consider that one less copy in the pool.

should only make you happy based on the concept that the fewer damaged/defaced SS copies that are subbed to CGC only increases the value of the Universal and raw unsigned copies out there.

No matter how loudly or how much people protest it, SS collectors are going to continue to sub whatever books they want. It's not about what anyone else thinks is acceptable, it's about having something they want. There's no obligation to the owner of any book to keep said book in the state that another collector prefers.

As I said before in this and other similar threads, if you don't like SS books then don't buy SS books. It's not up to any one collector (or group of collectors) to determine what any other does with their books though.

We just started up a Green Lantern 76 club, and when I discovered that one of the 4 pedigrees (Twin Cities) had been SSed and was now the single highest SS (there are two higher universals), and was sitting on a dealer's ebay shop for a crazy premium it made me very sad.

Dont know if it changed hands between the initial purchase back in 2011 (for $10k) but right now you can own it for just under $20k (didnt realize that Neal Adams was charging $10k for his signature). But hey the dealer has dropped his asking price from $29k to $25k down to 20k in the last month!

I guess when it comes to high grade G/S/B books (especially keys) and pedigrees I think that we're all just temporary custodians of these books and they'll eventually be in someone else's hands (sometimes sooner than later), so why alter them?

If its a hobbiest/fan who wants a SS I understand, but when its a dealer, just trying to leverage an already amazing book and make it more "unique" by getting it SSed, I cringe....

but just like everyone this all comes with the caveat that at the end of the day its the owners book and they get to do what they want with it.

If its a hobbiest/fan who wants a SS I understand, but when its a dealer, just trying to leverage an already amazing book and make it more "unique" by getting it SSed, I cringe....

I agree with this. But I have to admit it is somewhat hypocritical, as none of us are going to live forever. All of our collections will eventually be released back into the wild when we are gone.

But still, I agree with this. Logic doesn't always win with me, just most of the time. :grin:

I agree with this. But I have to admit it is somewhat hypocritical, as none of us are going to live forever. All of our collections will eventually be released back into the wild when we are gone.

But still, I agree with this. Logic doesn't always win with me, just most of the time. :grin:

+1

Although i do hope that most of my collection isnt "released back into the wild" when i'm gone. Hopefully, my son will have the same interest and passion i have and will keep passing that down. Theres plenty of books i dont care what he does with but also plenty i'd hope that he'll want to keep. I can tell you whichever family member sells my RM Avengers 57 is gonna have me haunting their every night :baiting:

+1

Although i do hope that most of my collection isnt "released back into the wild" when i'm gone. Hopefully, my son will have the same interest and passion i have and will keep passing that down. Theres plenty of books i dont care what he does with but also plenty i'd hope that he'll want to keep. I can tell you whichever family member sells my RM Avengers 57 is gonna have me haunting their every night :baiting:

Even if your kids fly right, your grandkids will be selling them for sweet rims for their hovercraft. And if the girl gets some of them, they will be on C-Link before your "reading of the Will" video is over.

+1

Even if your kids fly right, your grandkids will be selling them for sweet rims for their hovercraft. And if the girl gets some of them, they will be on C-Link before your "reading of the Will" video is over.

Key books for sweet rims is always the right move so i cant complain there (thumbs u

+1

Key books for sweet rims is always the right move so i cant complain there (thumbs u

You can always have them cremated and mixed in with your ashes 2c

000001az.jpg

lol

Even to post a meme you have to list your username below it?

:baiting:

I see other people sign their posts too... (I won't name names to protect their innocence.)

;)

And as I mentioned before, I have been signing my posts like this for as long as I can remember being on message boards, probably close to, if not over, 10 years. Not stopping now.

:grin:

-slym

+1

I'm already planting the seeds. My daughter likes comics, but my 1 and a half year old is in love with super heros right now. He gets excited when I turn on Spider-Man cartoons on the Netflix. He started cheering when my daughter and I were watching Batman. He has a bunch of those Fisher Price Little People, but he only plays with the little super hero ones. He just throws the others away.

I think my daughter could become an Archie collector which would be awesome. But I really see my son becoming a Batman fan. If he wants to sell my Spidey collection off for his Batman collection when I'm gone I'd be cool with that.

But Spider-Man is the superior (pun intended) character.

This is where I get flamed by everyone. A Stan Lee autograph is worth about $20. Take this into account when having him scribble his name onto a $30,000 comic. I see AF15’s, FF1’s, and other high value key issues that should be considered antiques. These books should be preserved as they are and as they were in (example) 1962 and not have 2013 ink across its cover. I put this in the same category as defacing the comic and for every high value key SS I consider that one less copy in the pool.

For newer books, why not. They are in abundance and if done well the signatures can look nice. Some copies here have a nice signature not really impacting the cover. SS is simply an autograph.

As someone (sorry I don't recall who it was) stated earlier in the thread... comics are the only collectible hobby where, for whatever reason, some people look down on having creator signatures on the book.

A question - for other collectibles, how many get signed on the front face? And let's discount things that don't have "interiors," such as baseballs, footballs, or even jerseys.

Take books for the most likely example: how many books are signed on the front cover? Any? I have always seen books signed on the interior somewhere, usually on the inside front cover or the first few pages (flyleaves,) or on the title page itself.

-slym

We just started up a Green Lantern 76 club, and when I discovered that one of the 4 pedigrees (Twin Cities) had been SSed and was now the single highest SS (there are two higher universals), and was sitting on a dealer's ebay shop for a crazy premium it made me very sad.

Dont know if it changed hands between the initial purchase back in 2011 (for $10k) but right now you can own it for just under $20k (didnt realize that Neal Adams was charging $10k for his signature). But hey the dealer has dropped his asking price from $29k to $25k down to 20k in the last month!

I guess when it comes to high grade G/S/B books (especially keys) and pedigrees I think that we're all just temporary custodians of these books and they'll eventually be in someone else's hands (sometimes sooner than later), so why alter them?

but just like everyone this all comes with the caveat that at the end of the day its the owners book and they get to do what they want with it.

What was the grade of the GL76 that was signed by Adams?

Guest Grails

Take books for the most likely example: how many books are signed on the front cover? Any? I have always seen books signed on the interior somewhere, usually on the inside front cover or the first few pages (flyleaves,) or on the title page itself.

-slym

Yup, I get all my favorite novels signed. An author will usually always open the book to the first or title page to sign since the dust cover is usually glossy and disposable. I like my comics signed on the cover usually across the title unless there is a less obtrusive or more appealing spot.

000001az.jpg

lol

Even to post a meme you have to list your username below it?

:baiting:

I see other people sign their posts too... (I won't name names to protect their innocence.)

;)

And as I mentioned before, I have been signing my posts like this for as long as I can remember being on message boards, probably close to, if not over, 10 years. Not stopping now.

:grin:

-slym

Tell 'em!

bossofme300.jpg

That Famous Funnies 211 w/ F Frazetta signature causes my heart to skip a beat. Is it worth 2 or 3 times its unsigned counter part, or even greater spread?

Yeah, that's an awesome book!

The motivation/intent does cloud the situation, I agree. On the flipside, I think SS allowing restored books to get SS'd (with a two-tone yellow and purple label) might actually do some good for books which collectors might otherwise have shunned if it remained in a purple label.

000001az.jpg

-slym

lol:blush:

Gee um...yeeeaah wow. I'm sorry about that folks. I kinda get carried away typing and didn't see how monstrous that post had gotten. I'll have to start previewing more. Once those little words disappear behind the window space I forget they're even there. Guess I could have made that more succinct but not one of my strengths. Hey I'll probably borrow that meme to preface future wall of texts as a warning on future posts. (btw I previewed this one and shrunk it down from 2847 characters.)

000001az.jpg

lol:blush:

Gee um...yeeeaah wow. I'm sorry about that folks. I kinda get carried away typing and didn't see how monstrous that post had gotten. I'll have to start previewing more. Once those little words disappear behind the window space I forget they're even there. Guess I could have made that more succinct but not one of my strengths. Hey I'll probably borrow that meme to preface future wall of texts as a warning on future posts. (btw I previewed this one and shrunk it down from 2847 characters.)

:lol:

No worries mate, no butt-hurt involved. Just having a little fun.

(thumbs u

-slym