• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

newmutants98.com

112 posts in this topic

Deadpool has the most potential, by far, but surpassing Wolverine would be a seriously tall order. As much as I favor Pooly, it just doesn't seem possible at this point. Then again, years ago some scoffed at the idea of Wolverine being as popular as spider-man. I think he's right there. The deadpool movie would have to be a blockbuster on the Avengers level to have any chance. He's still in a "hobby only" place, and if it bombs, bye bye. Go sit with the Punisher at the kids table.

I also remember all the TMNT copycats:

Geriatric Gangrene Jujitsu Gerbils

Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters

I still have my copies of these.... I still enjoy reading them.

Something about Kung-fu kangaroos? Prime slime tales, Eagle, bean world, ex-mutants, and the future of comic books.. The dot matrix... SHATTER! Just some of my allowance killers. That, and dumping a VF/NM copy of hulk 181, for a shiny new copy of Fish police #1, straight from the display case. I was the envy of my friends for weeks. Ahhh. The good old days.

wow Hulk 181=Fish Police 1 OUCH

Bill, I would suppress that memory

That's only the surface. What really peeves me is how stupid 16 year old boys are. I sold my POTF mint carded figures, '82-'86 Joe figures, redline hot wheels, high grade bronze and copper, my NM right off the shelf no stress marked 1st print TMNT #1, and my gold eagles, all for dates with friggin girls that didn't put out anyway. Oh, and my '68 Ryan. Centered! Hey, on the bright side.. I had a shiny, 6 cylinder Camaro, unlimited breadsticks at Olive Garden on a regular basis, and eventually got the action I had seekithed. I'm sure others here have similar sob stories. P.S. I still have my cream paged copy of fish police 1!!! :acclaim:

He's still in a "hobby only" place, and if it bombs, bye bye. Go sit with the Punisher at the kids table.

You are so right. The Punisher appearances went batty for a long while. Heck, Punisher appeared in 1,743 comics based on what Comicvine has been able to identify. I wonder if the majority of those appearances were from the 80s to the 90s.

I did have to laugh at the powers listed for Frank Castle.

Attractive Male

Escape Artist

Gadgets

Insanely Rich

Longevity

Marksmanship

Stamina

Stealth

Tracking

Unarmed Combat

Weapon Master

Watch out, or I will look at you and make you fall in love with me. :sumo:

For anyone being a New Mutants completest, or a Deadpool fan, unfortunately there is no choice.

And for someone which stopped buying the New Mutants around issue #96 because it was deeply disgusted by the direction taken (and the departure of Louise Simonson) and just picked it up again in time to have #99 and #100 when he learned the series was going to be closed?

I would not spend $20 on a New Mutants #98, but again, some day I would like to complete the series… lol

No character Marvel has come up with since Wolverine 1974 has even close to becoming iconic.

What do you mean by "iconic"? Besides this, Deadpool’s popularity always seemed to me as "something on its own". But so it is each and every remaining wreck of Marvel nowadays. :(

Ironman has been an established, popular character since the early '60's. Not really out of nowhere, but Deadpool does have the potential to equal any in the Marvel universe.. But the movie has to be a universal A+++ movie. If its a marginal hit, the best he can hope for is a spot between Green Lantern, and Fantastic Four.

Yah but look at iron man.. He came out of nowhere and probably one of the most popular characters at the moment..

What do you mean? Iron Man has always been a solid character. Hard to say the same thing for Deadpool, as it is a sort of satiric character, pretty much outside what used to be the Marvel continuity (now almost entirely trashed, but you get the point).

If one has to measure Deadpool’s quality as a character, this should fairly be done in considering it a character "per se", not much related to the Marvel Universe.

For anyone being a New Mutants completest, or a Deadpool fan, unfortunately there is no choice.

And for someone which stopped buying the New Mutants around issue #96 because it was deeply disgusted by the direction taken (and the departure of Louise Simonson) and just picked it up again in time to have #99 and #100 when he learned the series was going to be closed?

I would not spend $20 on a New Mutants #98, but again, some day I would like to complete the series… lol

No character Marvel has come up with since Wolverine 1974 has even close to becoming iconic.

What do you mean by "iconic"? Besides this, Deadpool’s popularity always seemed to me as "something on its own". But so it is each and every remaining wreck of Marvel nowadays. :(

popular sorry iconic is too strong of a word

sorry guys I would say google it cuz wherever it gets downloaded it moves shortly afterwards. I didnt download it cuz I cant read things that long without pics. Kinda why I love comics!!!

its a reboot with Ryan Reynolds. They are fighting for a rated R version since the -script is rated R. they are fighting the studio for this

I hope it gets R. But a pg-13 will help the book more. Right?

its a reboot with Ryan Reynolds. They are fighting for a rated R version since the -script is rated R. they are fighting the studio for this

I hope it gets R. But a pg-13 will help the book more. Right?

yup thats probably one of the big issues with the movie. Be true to character or true to mass appeal. Not sure if Ryan Reynolds is a sure thing. he's spoken a lot about the role and has championed being the character but in order to separate how he played it before you should remove him.