• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A tax bill for a comic sent from another country to the USA???

26 posts in this topic

Anyway I will check on this.

This was a book that bought off the boards from member from China.

He had a sales thread and a lot of people bought from him, I find it strange that

I am the only one hit with this taxation.

I'm sending him a pm to contact him and try to figure out what could've trigger this.

It's really got nothing to do with him unless books are tax exempt in your state and his "drawings" description attracted an unnecessary tax hit.

2c

To put it another way - I'm Canadian, what are you going to tell me about taxes or fees I have to pay if I buy a book from you?

Info on self assessment of consumer taxes info can be found here even though most of us don't bother (Canada or US)

I tell all my buyers I am not responsible for all import taxes on items they buy.

I tell them to Check into it themselves. How can a seller know what taxes they buyer might get and how is it their fault?

I send everything as a gift anyway

Could be wrong here, but you know NC wants you to self-report any purchases made via mail order, internet, etc.. from out of state on your income tax forms; so that you can then pay state sales tax on them. It looks like you might have gotten got hit by that, when customs reported it to the Dept. of Revenue.

If you reside in NC, use tax is due to the state on any and all transactions where sales tax has not been paid, even out-of-state internet sales.

From the NC dept of revenue site:

What is use tax?

The use tax is a tax due on purchases, leases, and rentals of tangible personal property and certain digital property purchased, leased or rented inside or outside this State for storage, use, or consumption in North Carolina. The use tax is also due on taxable services sourced to North Carolina. The use tax is paid to the North Carolina Department of Revenue by the purchaser when the North Carolina tax has not been collected by the seller.

What items are subject to use tax?

Tangible personal property and certain digital property purchased, leased or rented which are subject to the sales tax are also subject to the use tax. Some examples include: books, ringtones, digital music, cassettes, compact discs, computers, electronic equipment, clothing, jewelry, canned software, sporting goods, audio and video tapes, appliances, and furniture and other home furnishings, whether purchased by mail order, catalog, shopping networks, or on the internet.

Didn't the Internet Tax Freedom Act (ITFA) ban taxes on sales over the Internet?

The Act prohibited new taxes on internet access fees and multiple or discriminatory taxes. North Carolina does not tax Internet access fees. In addition, the use tax is not a multiple or discriminatory tax since it applies to all vendors (mail order, internet, out-of-state, home shopping) and taxes goods purchased outside the state in the same manner as goods purchased in the state.

There is a section on the state income tax form that asks about out of state purchases you have made. You didn't declare it and it came back and bit you because of the customs report? That is what this looks like to me.

Anyway I will check on this.

This was a book that bought off the boards from member from China.

He had a sales thread and a lot of people bought from him, I find it strange that

I am the only one hit with this taxation.

I'm sending him a pm to contact him and try to figure out what could've trigger this.

It's really got nothing to do with him unless books are tax exempt in your state and his "drawings" description attracted an unnecessary tax hit.

2c

To put it another way - I'm Canadian, what are you going to tell me about taxes or fees I have to pay if I buy a book from you?

Info on self assessment of consumer taxes info can be found here even though most of us don't bother (Canada or US)

I tell all my buyers I am not responsible for all import taxes on items they buy.

I tell them to Check into it themselves. How can a seller know what taxes they buyer might get and how is it their fault?

I send everything as a gift anyway

dude, I am not trying to place blame, I am just trying to figure it out.

so when there is a next time I can prepare for it.

I am a seller too as if my name doesn't give that away...

:baiting::insane:

Could be wrong here, but you know NC wants you to self-report any purchases made via mail order, internet, etc.. from out of state on your income tax forms; so that you can then pay state sales tax on them. It looks like you might have gotten got hit by that, when customs reported it to the Dept. of Revenue.

If you reside in NC, use tax is due to the state on any and all transactions where sales tax has not been paid, even out-of-state internet sales.

From the NC dept of revenue site:

What is use tax?

The use tax is a tax due on purchases, leases, and rentals of tangible personal property and certain digital property purchased, leased or rented inside or outside this State for storage, use, or consumption in North Carolina. The use tax is also due on taxable services sourced to North Carolina. The use tax is paid to the North Carolina Department of Revenue by the purchaser when the North Carolina tax has not been collected by the seller.

What items are subject to use tax?

Tangible personal property and certain digital property purchased, leased or rented which are subject to the sales tax are also subject to the use tax. Some examples include: books, ringtones, digital music, cassettes, compact discs, computers, electronic equipment, clothing, jewelry, canned software, sporting goods, audio and video tapes, appliances, and furniture and other home furnishings, whether purchased by mail order, catalog, shopping networks, or on the internet.

Didn't the Internet Tax Freedom Act (ITFA) ban taxes on sales over the Internet?

The Act prohibited new taxes on internet access fees and multiple or discriminatory taxes. North Carolina does not tax Internet access fees. In addition, the use tax is not a multiple or discriminatory tax since it applies to all vendors (mail order, internet, out-of-state, home shopping) and taxes goods purchased outside the state in the same manner as goods purchased in the state.

There is a section on the state income tax form that asks about out of state purchases you have made. You didn't declare it and it came back and bit you because of the customs report? That is what this looks like to me.

Thanks brother. This was what I was looking for.

So I pay, bummer! I am sure all the foreigners are laughing at me squirm like a worm in ashes

over this since they deal with it day in and day out...

It's a total crock, but now I know.

(:

We may all get hit with this, if the whole internet sales tax comes through!

Sorry for the situation Wally, it would definitely suck to get that bill! I assume you're talking about David's thread when he unloaded his sickingly nice run of marvels?

By the way, i grew up in Canada so when I moved to the US 12 years ago, I was like "I get to keep how much of my income?!" "Your sales tax is only how much???!!".....all a matter of one's perspective, i suppose! :)