• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A tax bill for a comic sent from another country to the USA???

26 posts in this topic

I bought a comic from Hong Kong in 2011 and since it was insured through Fedex

it got reported to the US Customs which got reported to Department of Revenue and

I have state and county taxes plus interest and penalties.

I had no idea this needed to be reported. They are calling this "Tangible" property.

I don't even know the US definition of was is deemed as taxable "Tangible" property.

I've heard of duties in other countries, I've just not heard of it here.

This was a 3k book, and I'm getting crushed...

I gotta remember this when buying comics overseas.

Any help or experience would be appreciated.

:sorry:

it got reported to the US Customs which got reported to Department of Revenue and

I had no idea this needed to be reported. They are calling this "Tangible" property.

I don't even know the US definition of was is deemed as taxable "Tangible" property.

What did the seller write on the custom forms? Did he write collectible, book, etc? Please let me know. I can speak only from my experience in antiques, but US Customs can be harsh when dealing with items of this nature (especially antiques and antiquities). That being said, what was written on the custom form concerning contents?

Customs might have gotten you for the Merchandise Processing Fee but that's a minimal amount. MPF

US Customs doesn't deal in state tax/use tax administration - so your issue isn't with them directly, they make information 'available' to local authorities.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/295/~/taxes-on-imported-goods

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/446/related/1/~/taxes-on-imported-goods

What state are you in?

Customs might have gotten you for the Merchandise Processing Fee but that's a minimal amount. MPF

US Customs doesn't deal in state tax/use tax administration - so your issue isn't with them directly, they make information 'available' to local authorities.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/446/related/1/~/taxes-on-imported-goods

What state are you in?

NC

What did the seller write on the custom forms? Did he write collectible, book, etc? Please let me know. I can speak only from my experience in antiques, but US Customs can be harsh when dealing with items of this nature (especially antiques and antiquities). That being said, what was written on the custom form concerning contents?

I can't remember, not did I keep the box. This was over 2 years ago.

I do remember them calling me and asking all about what is coming in this box.

I told them it was just a comic book.

:P

I can't remember, not did I keep the box. This was over 2 years ago.

I do remember them calling me and asking all about what is coming in this box.

I told them it was just a comic book.

The whole reason I ask is that some sellers mark 'collectible/antique' on the box and think nothing of it. The reason we have the definition of an antique arguably being one hundred years of age or older, is becaus of the US post office. Customs will sometimes verify contents of a box marked like this. Especially with all the laws concerning the trade of ivory, endangered species acts, etc.

That was the reason I asked.

I cannot guarantee that this will work but it has worked for me every time I have shipped from Canada. Maybe one of the professional dealers who does this far more than I can chime in.

Certain collectibles are allowed under the free trade act. Comics are not on the list but they are in the spirit of the things that are listed. (My memory does not serve me well here but they may fall under collectible magazines-- I haven't looked at the act in a long time.) Their exclusion may be an oversite. I write on the postal form--

Collectible Magazines

Traded between Collectors(as in Free Trade, not as in two Little Lulus for one Batman)

Printed in USA (so it is returning to its country of origin and not a Canadian product like Alberta Oil or BC shingles and shakes)

I have done about 150 ebay deals, about half as a buyer, half as a seller. None of my buyers have been hit with tariffs.

What state are you in?

NC

The first question is whether comic books are taxable on the local/state level.

The second is now that you are "Wally's Comics" are you registered for state taxes officially through a sole proprietorship, corporation or whatever - the audit people are more likely to bypass an individual importing an item for personal use but if you hire a broker and import as "Wally's Comics" then it's more likely to get targeted for state/local taxes.

If you have a tax guy, it's probably worth a call...this is the danger other people might run into when ordering items and using their business/employer's address for int'l orders also.

Taxpayer Assistance Division of the North Carolina Department of Revenue at P.O. Box 25000, Raleigh, N.C. 27602. You may also call the Division at (919) 733-3661

This FAQ may be helpful.

http://www.dornc.com/faq/sales.html

What state are you in?

NC

That explains it.

-slym (Durham/RTP represent!)

I live in the Bull City too brother.

And $250 ain't gonna break me. It's just a shame.

We get out income crushed. All possessions crushed Cars, Home, Pets even...

And it's just a shame you can get a package:

The tax bill said it was labeled "children's drawings and books".

without the gov't not only with their hand out but a $60 fee/interest tacked on to it.

oh well, pay the devil his due!

:facepalm:

Could you please clarify: when you write "Department of Revenue," is this the North Carolina Department of Revenue? And is the bill you are receiving from the "Department of Revenue" a state tax on personal property, in this case the book? Obviously it's not state or federal income tax because you are making a purchase.

Anyway I will check on this.

This was a book that bought off the boards from member from China.

He had a sales thread and a lot of people bought from him, I find it strange that

I am the only one hit with this taxation.

I'm sending him a pm to contact him and try to figure out what could've trigger this.

Anyway I will check on this.

This was a book that bought off the boards from member from China.

He had a sales thread and a lot of people bought from him, I find it strange that

I am the only one hit with this taxation.

I'm sending him a pm to contact him and try to figure out what could've trigger this.

It's really got nothing to do with him unless books are tax exempt in your state and his "drawings" description attracted an unnecessary tax hit.

2c

To put it another way - I'm Canadian, what are you going to tell me about taxes or fees I have to pay if I buy a book from you?

Info on self assessment of consumer taxes info can be found here even though most of us don't bother (Canada or US)