• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest Round 7 Results

45 posts in this topic

Another round bites the dust. I finally started giving each book a full point bump after being low all the time and I'm high on both books. Glad to see some people can grade.

Another round bites the dust. I finally started giving each book a full point bump after being low all the time and I'm high on both books. Glad to see some people can grade.
Well, to be honest, I got to say I am really evaluating these books purely to guess the grade CGC has assigned. Most of the books in this contest I feel are, let's see, loosely graded I'll say. After the first 2 rounds I made some adjustments from my grade to what I think CGC would grade. Usually it is an increase of 1 or 2 grades.

I can't believe that Sensation is a 5.5. What did I/we/those of us who gave it higher miss? Sure looked like a 7.5 to me, but I bumped it to an 8.0 since I have been soooo under grading, really over shot this one. :boo:

Back cover at the bottom right. CGC kills for stains.

My ability to gain points on one book, then lose a few on the second is uncanny.

The ability to lose a few points on any of these books is incredible! The most I've managed to lose on any one book is one point!

:slapfight:

But didn't a couple other books in the contest have obvious stains but still graded very high. I guess some stains are a problem but others are ok.

I can't believe that Sensation is a 5.5. What did I/we/those of us who gave it higher miss? Sure looked like a 7.5 to me, but I bumped it to an 8.0 since I have been soooo under grading, really over shot this one. :boo:

My best guess (moot at this point as I bombed this one) is that the upper left corner did it in more than the two drops of stain. The ULC looked heavily impacted, with a small chunk of the interior dented in or even missing. Stains get hammered for sure, but it still should have squeaked above Fine without the ULC issue.

My best guess (moot at this point as I bombed this one) is that the upper left corner did it in more than the two drops of stain. The ULC looked heavily impacted, with a small chunk of the interior dented in or even missing. Stains get hammered for sure, but it still should have squeaked above Fine without the ULC issue.

No doubt it was an accumulation that killed it.

If the book had been perfect except for the stain, it would probably be around a 7.0.

With the impact at the top left and bottom right, tear at the bottom, hard creases on the BC, what appears to be dots of foxing on the FC, AND the stains, the grade is toasted.

Beautiful book for the grade, to be sure. :cloud9:

If the book had been perfect except for the stain, it would probably be around a 7.0.

With the impact at the top left and bottom right, tear at the bottom, hard creases on the BC, what appears to be dots of foxing on the FC, AND the stains, the grade is toasted.

I'm certainly no expert, but I looked at that top left corner and thought, that's front and back covers AND all interior pages, missing, and thought that no matter how the rest of the book looked, it could never be considered a FINE after that.

I'm certainly no expert, but I looked at that top left corner and thought, that's front and back covers AND all interior pages, missing, and thought that no matter how the rest of the book looked, it could never be considered a FINE after that.

I had that same thought about a couple books so far. It could never get above X and wow have I been wrong.

I graded it a 5.0 due to corner missing tear stains etc and thought maybe 5.5. Should have gone with the maybe.

No way in Hell it's better than a 6.0 with all the defects and all of you that graded it so high are just that. :sumo:

:lol:

No way in Hell it's better than a 6.0 with all the defects and all of you that graded it so high are just that. :sumo:

Have to agree with 1Cool tho. Many a time we've seen numerous "whoa!" books that seem to be bumped to the moon. The famous Action #1 2.5 with a chunk gnawed out and a bunch of the recent Sparkle City GAs come to mind; I'm sure there are other examples.

We're not grading the book, we're trying to guess the CGC grade. There's a difference.

Have to agree with 1Cool tho. Many a time we've seen numerous "whoa!" books that seem to be bumped to the moon. The famous Action #1 2.5 with a chunk gnawed out and a bunch of the recent Sparkle City GAs come to mind; I'm sure there are other examples.

We're not grading the book, we're trying to guess the CGC grade. There's a difference.

Good point Jon. I have been trying to grade the book (even with my limited experience), I must remember that we are not grading and trying to guess the CGC grade.

Good point Jon. I have been trying to grade the book (even with my limited experience), I must remember that we are not grading and trying to guess the CGC grade.

I said a similar thing a few posts prior. Us John's (or Jon's) think alike. :)