• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Consistency in grading??

33 posts in this topic

I bought a comic off of an auction site that was graded a 9.4. I failed to notice it was out of the hard outer shell, but it was still in the inner sleeve. I took the book to a comic show to get regraded. I got it back the other day and now it's a 9.6.

I would have accepted a lower grade and I must say, kinda surprised about the higher one. I understand there is some level of "human error", but wouldn't a .2 difference be a big deal sometimes depending on the book? That means you might get a grader that grades differently.

Just throwing that out there.

Consistency. :roflmao:

Exactly, a freaking laughing joke. I no longer submit for the grade, just for restoration detection. Unfair grading practices and favoritism imo and experience.

There is no favoritism,or unfair grading practices.It's just a subjective art,one mans 9.6 may be anothers 9.0

Exactly, a freaking laughing joke. I no longer submit for the grade, just for restoration detection. Unfair grading practices and favoritism imo and experience.

There is no favoritism,or unfair grading practices.It's just a subjective art,one mans 9.6 may be anothers 9.0

If one person calls a book a 9.6 and another person calls the same book a 9.0, one (or both) of them is wrong - that's not subjectivity, it's called "not being able to grade accurately" :preach:

If one person calls a book a 9.6 and another person calls the same book a 9.0, one (or both) of them is wrong - that's not subjectivity, it's called "not being able to grade accurately" :preach:

I was trying to make a point. :makepoint:

That makes me wonder about all these 9.8's out there. I really haven't seen that many 10's. Is this why? Should most of the 9.8 be 10? This was my first submission. All but 3 books were 9.8 and the others were 9.6. I submitted 9 or 10 books.

What do you guys think about the other company? Not as popular but do they do a fair job?

That makes me wonder about all these 9.8's out there. I really haven't seen that many 10's. Is this why? Should most of the 9.8 be 10? This was my first submission. All but 3 books were 9.8 and the others were 9.6. I submitted 9 or 10 books.

What do you guys think about the other company? Not as popular but do they do a fair job?

The other company? watch out for pubic hairs and carpet fibers in your slabs. lol

The other company? watch out for pubic hairs and carpet fibers in your slabs. lol

Or worse pubic fibers!

Or worse pubic fibers!
lol

There is only one company. There are a couple scams out there, but only one actual company that grades comics.

There is only one company. There are a couple scams out there, but only one actual company that grades comics.

^^

And perhaps switched books.

A one grade difference is not a "big deal" in terms of grading accuracy. Grading is too subjective and relies on too many variables for just one grade to be considered absolute. I doubt anyone is going to grade 100 books exactly the same months apart ( unless they kept notes or have a photographic memory for what they did before).

It can be a "big deal" in terms of what price some people will pay for a book, which is why many play the resub game. In a sane world, collectors would only pay a marginal premium for a marginal ( and potentially arbitrary) improvement in grade. But a world where people pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for cheaply manufactured mass produced paper pamphlets is not a sane one.

CGC should really provide those of us who use their service their "grading guide". Have it posted on line and if we want to print it we can, if changes are made, then they can amend whatever it may be (i.e. tape policy change). The company has been in business long enough it should be done.

rantrant I also find it atrocious that we have to pay for grading notes. We are already paying for the service, why not provide the defect/s so we know why a book got the grade it did? I know I read somewhere that someone suggested putting the defects on the back label, now that's a great idea!

As far as the "other company" I did submit some comics to them back when the whole slabbing thing was new. I got a call saying my box was damaged upon delivery to this company. Trusting them as being honest business people, I thought nothing of it to crack the books out and see if they were the same book or in the same condition. Several years passed and I rejoined this board, I am now afraid of what I may find should I crack those slabs open. I've read and seen some shadey things being done/allowed by this company. I'll never send another book to them regardless of the fast turn around and lower fees. That said, I'm afraid to submit to CGC as I may catch them in a super nit picking mode. Someone suggested favoritism, I hope not, but then again, I've heard stories (and I truly hope that is what they were) about how a little extra $$$ can translate into generous grade bumps. Sorry this turned into a mega rant.

A one grade difference is not a "big deal" in terms of grading accuracy. Grading is too subjective and relies on too many variables for just one grade to be considered absolute. I doubt anyone is going to grade 100 books exactly the same months apart ( unless they kept notes or have a photographic memory for what they did before).

It can be a "big deal" in terms of what price some people will pay for a book, which is why many play the resub game. In a sane world, collectors would only pay a marginal premium for a marginal ( and potentially arbitrary) improvement in grade. But a world where people pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for cheaply manufactured mass produced paper pamphlets is not a sane one.

:sumo: Agreed.

CGC should really provide those of us who use their service their "grading guide". Have it posted on line and if we want to print it we can, if changes are made, then they can amend whatever it may be (i.e. tape policy change). The company has been in business long enough it should be done.

rantrant I also find it atrocious that we have to pay for grading notes. We are already paying for the service, why not provide the defect/s so we know why a book got the grade it did? I know I read somewhere that someone suggested putting the defects on the back label, now that's a great idea!

As far as the "other company" I did submit some comics to them back when the whole slabbing thing was new. I got a call saying my box was damaged upon delivery to this company. Trusting them as being honest business people, I thought nothing of it to crack the books out and see if they were the same book or in the same condition. Several years passed and I rejoined this board, I am now afraid of what I may find should I crack those slabs open. I've read and seen some shadey things being done/allowed by this company. I'll never send another book to them regardless of the fast turn around and lower fees. That said, I'm afraid to submit to CGC as I may catch them in a super nit picking mode. Someone suggested favoritism, I hope not, but then again, I've heard stories (and I truly hope that is what they were) about how a little extra $$$ can translate into generous grade bumps. Sorry this turned into a mega rant.

You sound like the type of person who complains about everything . . . hm

Waaaaaaaaaaaah :cry: