• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are these auctions real or a scam?

59 posts in this topic

I emailed every winner of his CGC auctions to ask for the serial numbers before they send any money. Here is my email :

Hello - I was looking to bid on some of the CGC comic auctions you recently won but did not because the seller rustysstarwars did not answer any emails inquiring about the serial numbers of the CGC. In fact several other comic bidders emailed him for the same information and he did not answer any of them. I would suggest that you inquire about the serial numbers of the CGC comics because there has been some question as to the comics authenticity. Please refer to the following cgc comic forum link for more information- http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=comicgen&Number=98466&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1&vc=1

I am not explicitly implying that the sellers auctions are not valid but I would recommend caution before you send any money. Feel free to email me if you wish.

Good Luck

Tom

i emailed him too re: his TOS auctions, i asked for a larger pic of the TOS 49, he replied that he will try to ASAP. well needless to say the auction is over and no larger pic. my question is, where did he get the pic with all those TOS, ASM, and subby books?

Rec'd helpful info from Tom and a link to this site. Although tentative to bid I really wanted and have been looking for CA 100 9.6 for my collection and couldn't help from bidding. I won the auction and am now being very careful w/the seller. Despite requesting a name and non PO box address have heard nothing other than rec'ing the below msg from the seller. I will add more info as available --- but again thanks to Tom and this forum. Jim.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HI THERE, YOU ARE THE WINNING BIDDER ON 2 OF MY AUCTIONS.THE TOTAL WITH SHIPPING WILL BE $833.00. ALL MONEY ORDERS AND CASHIERS CHECK'S MUST BE RECEIVED BY FEB. 14TH,THIS WILL BE THE DESIGNATED SHIPPING DATE.MONEY ORDERS MUST BE RECIVED BY THIS DATE OR YOU WILL BE ASSUMED AS A NON-PAYING BIDDER AND WILL BE DELT WITH ACCORDINGLY.SORRY FOR ALL THIS BUT WE ALL HATE NON-PAYING BIDDERS.I ONLY ACCEPT MONEY ORDERS OR CASHIERS CHECKS.THANKS.

R. WARS

PO BOX 1012

ALVARADO,TEXAS 76009

yeah yeah yeah - soaking a lot of criticism here for actually "believing" these were real auctions. sometimes some good buys sneak by - and i was hoping this was one of them. but hey! a great FINAL BID on an Xmen 14 CGC 9.4!!

btw - i've contacted other bidders on the auctions - and we've traded lots of emails amongst us - sort of like a discussion group. i'm pushing for us to give "Rusty" the big stonewall.

(btw - if i hadn't bid on that comic, i would never have known about this wonderful forum!)

That is the good thing about this forum, there are a lot of seasoned eBayer's who can pick up on scams and act on them. For this scam auction, I was one of many who emailed all the bidders - it makes a big difference if the same information is coming from many sources.

Tom

Tomega

Being one of those potentially caught in this scam. It is very encouraging that a forum such as this exists. Thanks to TOMEGA for his first warning email. This one just slipped through the guard (I will blame pressures of work). I guess that is why I buy alot of my stuff through COMGEEK. Cheers..........................

Im simply wondering what gives ANY of us here the right to label someone a scam or a fraud without damning evidence?

Just because one has a gut feeling over an item, simply dont bid on it yourself! It doesnt mean you have to ruin the auction for the seller IN CASE THE ITEM IS REAL!

Surely you arent all a bunch of whiners who believe you are the judge jury and final line of decision over whether something is fake or not?

So what if you are correct 60% or even 80% of the time!?

What happens when a LEGITIMATE seller is selling an item that is deemed fake by an individual in these forums, and you ruin their auctions?

I think its plain rude and you should be ashamed of yourselves.

I am far from a supporter of fraudsters, they should ALL BE LOCKED UP , but I am a fair person who believes in innocent before guilty, and in many cases here none of you have ANY proof whatsoever these auctions are scams.

It is simply a joke.

...none of you have ANY proof whatsoever these auctions are scams.

And what proof do you have that they are real? I'm curious because the seller had some books I was genuinely interested in, but he did not answer any of my inquiries about the serial numbers so I chose not to bid. Enlighten me please.

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

Except for the fact that the labels look altered? I guess we should give people the benefit of doubt there and when they get ripped off say "oh well, at least he had the opportunity to be honest" right?

Brian

I have NO proof, but Im not the one going around labeling them a scammer without knowing facts first!

Am I?

I believe in a fair go for all and the serial adds up in this situation. Check it out for yourself.

I emailed the Australian seller and received a better scan of the item, and it looks fine to me.

Thats all I can comment on.

Someone cannot be STUPID enough to try and scam thousands of $US without the full weight of the law bearing down on them.

I mean people go to jail for 6 months for $300 beanie baby fraud grin.gifgrin.gif

I emailed the Australian seller and received a better scan of the item, and it looks fine to me.

That is not definitive proof. Hi-quality scans are easily accessible from www.heritagecomics.com and many other web sources.

Someone cannot be STUPID enough to try and scam thousands of $US without the full weight of the law bearing down on them.

I mean people go to jail for 6 months for $300 beanie baby fraud

Yes, they can be that stupid. It's been done before & it's been attempted many times before. It's unbelievable the things people do for money.

Cheers,

Bachelor of Comics

what? you gotta be kidding me? a legit seller? i have some land in bugaboo's arse to sell you if you like, it's a big, wide piece of arse,...i mean land if you want it? blush.gif

If you are referring to the seller of the auction that was original intent of the thread, the seller is indeed a fraud. The serial numbers he provided for X-men he was selling were not legit. Fraud plain and simple.

Tom