• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fellow New Yorkers..

27 posts in this topic

Hey there, I was just curious if there are any other fellow New Yorkers on the boards and what are you favorite shops in the city.

Jim Hanley's Universe always seemed to have cool in-store stuff going on while I lived there a few years ago. I liked that place - not too big, not too small.

And, of course, St. Mark's Comics. I didn't get much time to explore beyond that (other than Forbidden Planet).

Jim Hanley's Universe always seemed to have cool in-store stuff going on while I lived there a few years ago. I liked that place - not too big, not too small.

It got smaller. :( They moved a few blocks away. Still a cool place, but the layout is not as roomy and conducive to a long browse.

I'd have to say Midtown Comics (both West and East) are my favorites. The west one in particular... just a juggernaut of a store, with really friendly staff.

I used to love browsing at Roger's, but it's kind of an oddball location and I never manage to get there anymore.

I'd have to say Midtown Comics (both West and East) are my favorites. The west one in particular... just a juggernaut of a store, with really friendly staff.

I used to love browsing at Roger's, but it's kind of an oddball location and I never manage to get there anymore.

Blech, Midtown leaves me cold. But then, I'm not a MA guy so it doesn't have much to offer me.

I work on 40th and broadway which is very dangerous bc im right next door basically to midtown, i go there for most of my new releases because they almost never sell out but it seems they way overcharge for nice backissues.

They have a raw walking 8 right now for 300 which i find insane.

Blech, Midtown leaves me cold. But then, I'm not a MA guy so it doesn't have much to offer me.

I actually think it has a lot to offer you... killer graphic novel and reprint sections to browse, and some interesting back issues do creep into the wall books once in a blue moon. I know what you mean though. Most of the great back issue sections in the city have gone the way of the dodo.

When I worked at metro I always went to Cosmic Comics on 23rd not sure if its still around

I think thats now manhattan comics, on the second floor right?

They are decent only problem i have wtih them is they usually dont have their good stuff out you have to ask and if the owner is not there the normal sales people aren't allowed to show you.

When I worked at metro I always went to Cosmic Comics on 23rd not sure if its still around

They are decent only problem i have wtih them is they usually dont have their good stuff out you have to ask and if the owner is not there the normal sales people aren't allowed to show you.

Manhattan Comics closed as of last week.

2 of the guys who worked there opened Carmine Street Comics.

Manhattan Comics closed as of last week.

2 of the guys who worked there opened Carmine Street Comics.

Wow Manhattan Comics closed already, they didn't have much foot traffic, and once Mark left he took all the good silver age with him. Midtown for new stuff, they tend to be a little high on their variants, and their CGC books. Time Machine for silver age, and a lot oddball stuff, i tend to buy things just laying around, lots of childhood memories, like programs from Creation Con, Foom Magazine, CBM and so on. I never set foot into St Marks Comics, i don't know what is worse, their grading or their prices. Forbidden Planet doesn't tend to spread out a lot of comics, and focuses on tradepaperbacks and T-shirts and statues.