• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hypothetical question on cornering the market

82 posts in this topic

I think TOS 48 is an exception because the suit Tony wears in issues 39-47 is a world away from the one most people are familiar with.

In my opinion, Iron Man is going to be the star of the Marvel Universe for the next decade or so and TOS 48 will be regarded as a semi-key. It may be well off base here, but that's my feeling.

But for this discussion, we can substitute almost any early 1960s Marvel hero book with 100 or so slabbed HG copies.

I just have a graded 7.0 copy.

I own a dozen or so copies but only two are even mid-grade. Highest I have is a 5.5

If you had the money, a book you could corner the market on is X-Men 94. For your same million dollars, you could buy all the 9.4 and up unrestored copies. 18 9.8s, 65 9.6s, 1158 9.4s. What does a 9.8 go for now? $25K?

I have done very well when I scarfed up those IMSM's for $10.00 - $50.00, and sold them for great coin.

Still have some left, but going to get out while the getting is this good...

CAL :acclaim:

You will lose your title ?

I think it would be a bad investment.

As you note, people will submit more copies to cgc. so any rise in price will be short term. when the dust settles the price may be greater, but not enough to justify the investment and risk.

Also, this issue is a key but not a major key, IMHO. If you could do this with TOS 39, that would be one thing. But the first issue of the red armor is something else. I don't think people would pony up alot of money for this issue, I certainly wouldn't.

Just my opinion ...

As you note, people will submit more copies to cgc. so any rise in price will be short term. when the dust settles the price may be greater, but not enough to justify the investment and risk.

Also, this issue is a key but not a major key, IMHO. If you could do this with TOS 39, that would be one thing. But the first issue of the red armor is something else. I don't think people would pony up alot of money for this issue, I certainly wouldn't.

Just my opinion ...

Yeah. Plus, as you start to sell them, the price is going to head back down. If people figure out what's going on, the price will fall pretty quickly as they anticipate the effects of your selling off the books.

You should talk to Cal about how well it worked out for him when he tried to corner the IMSM #1 market :gossip:

In his defense, that was when he thought there were only 3,000 copies of that book left in all of existence hm

IN DEFENSE, only 3,000 HIGH-GRADE still in circulation.

Things never change.

CAL :facepalm:

lol Nope, you NEVER qualified it by saying "high grade" Jack. :makepoint: Remember, this was before CGC...

Hi Park :hi:

You should talk to Cal about how well it worked out for him when he tried to corner the IMSM #1 market :gossip:

In his defense, that was when he thought there were only 3,000 copies of that book left in all of existence hm

You joined 6 days ago and already know that much about Cal hm

Man are you slow, I knew who it was from the jump.

I'm happy for you. You should receive a medal or something...

Maybe you can make me one on your next vacation.

Just my opinion ...

Yeah. Plus, as you start to sell them, the price is going to head back down. If people figure out what's going on, the price will fall pretty quickly as they anticipate the effects of your selling off the books.

How would people figure out what was going on? Its not like I would take out ads saying I own 95% of all HG copies, sell me yours. The books would quietly disappear from dealer stock. One day someone would wake up and notice how impossible it was to find these books anymore and panic buying would set in. Then little by little, the lowest graded of the hoard would slip back into dealers inventory.

We are talking less than 100 books, world wide.

Just my opinion ...

How would people figure out what was going on? Its not like I would take out ads saying I own 95% of all HG copies, sell me yours. The books would quietly disappear from dealer stock. One day someone would wake up and notice how impossible it was to find these books anymore and panic buying would set in. Then little by little, the lowest graded of the hoard would slip back into dealers inventory.

Because you posted your plan on a chat board that anyone with a computer, internet connection, ability to use a search engine and interest in funnybooks could see?

Are there any other books that garner interest due to a costume change?

I'm seriously wracking my brain to think of one....

ASM 252

I KNEW there had to be another one....

anything else?

Im just thinking that part of why this isnt as highly regarded is that costume changes (typically) arent highly regarded...

Dd 7.

Just my opinion ...

I just looked at GPA. 2011 ave in 9.4 (4 sales): $2,296. Most recent sale (11/2012): $1,661. It would take a lot to set off "panic buying" on a book like that. Most people wouldn't even notice HG copies were no longer around.

If you were unloading them through dealers, you would: a) take a significant haircut, and b) have them figure out the story pretty quickly.

It all depends on demand. If you are the only one demanding the book then owning them all will not affect price in any way. Demand (or value) trumps even scarcity.

I'd suggest you read the story of Billy Mumy and the search for Krypto.

If you had the money, a book you could corner the market on is X-Men 94. For your same million dollars, you could buy all the 9.4 and up copies. 18 9.8s, 68 9.6s, 171 9.4s. What does a 9.8 go for now? $25K?

Between 8-9k now.

See, even better. You'd need to pay a premium to shake some out of a tree, but you could do it for $500K.

So let's say you swoop them all up for $500k - what's the end game in this scenario? Re-sell them back over the span of a few years to make a profit? Or just to be a meglomaniacal douchenozzle and hoard them away?

You make megalomaniacal douchenozzle sound like a bad thing. :(

You joined 6 days ago and already know that much about Cal hm

Man are you slow, I knew who it was from the jump.

I'm happy for you. You should receive a medal or something...

Maybe you can make me one on your next vacation.

I would think you made your own :whistle: