• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tips on buying your first "expensive" comic

27 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, as you can see from my join date/post count, I haven't been doing this too long but I have decided that I really would like to go after one of my "grails"

I sold some stuff that I had lying around and now I've got a max of $500 (although I would like to do $300-400) to spend on a Green Lantern V2 #1. I have been hunting around on the internet to try and find one, and I'm extremely bummed that I missed out on the CGC 2.5 for just over $300. There is the heroes con coming up and my "local guy" here has booths so I have to give him a list of what I want and he will try to find it for me. Outside of that, I don't have the ability to do to many/any cons. So that closes a pretty big door for me.

Basically, my questions are, what grade can I get for that amount of money? I see Metropolis Comics has one in that price range, but it has a bunch of scribbling on it. Do I have to settle for something like that? I was hoping for at least a full cover without writing on it.

Since I've started a thread, I have another question so I will go ahead and ask it. Is it possible to find a decent Daredevil 1 for ~$200? Price guides say I might be able to find a 2.0 but we all know what those are like. Furthermore, those suckers seem difficult to find, especially at that low. Is everyone snatching them up? Do they not exist at that price, outside of awful quality?

Advice/help is appreciated.

I would take that 500,put it in a savings account specifically for your grail book.Put 20,40 or whatever you can afford to put in each paycheck.Until you have enough money to buy a keeper grail book,instead of buying a lesser grade book that you won't be happy with.I always try to buy the best grade book I can first off so I don't have to upgrade. 2c

Hey everyone, as you can see from my join date/post count, I haven't been doing this too long but I have decided that I really would like to go after one of my "grails"

I sold some stuff that I had lying around and now I've got a max of $500 (although I would like to do $300-400) to spend on a Green Lantern V2 #1. I have been hunting around on the internet to try and find one, and I'm extremely bummed that I missed out on the CGC 2.5 for just over $300. There is the heroes con coming up and my "local guy" here has booths so I have to give him a list of what I want and he will try to find it for me. Outside of that, I don't have the ability to do to many/any cons. So that closes a pretty big door for me.

Basically, my questions are, what grade can I get for that amount of money? I see Metropolis Comics has one in that price range, but it has a bunch of scribbling on it. Do I have to settle for something like that? I was hoping for at least a full cover without writing on it.

Since I've started a thread, I have another question so I will go ahead and ask it. Is it possible to find a decent Daredevil 1 for ~$200? Price guides say I might be able to find a 2.0 but we all know what those are like. Furthermore, those suckers seem difficult to find, especially at that low. Is everyone snatching them up? Do they not exist at that price, outside of awful quality?

Advice/help is appreciated.

Patience. Don't impulse buy. I know it's easier said than done. I still make redic impulse buys lol. From the looks of it, the books you seek come up pretty frequent. Something will def fall in your favor so don't stress it.

Don't settle. Be patient. Look for that copy that doesn't make you look at other copies of the same book.

You don't want to jump the gun and grab a copy that makes you think " This would be a great copy except for writing, cream pages, miswrap, etc.."

Decide what your criteria is and stick with it, Like Oakman said, stash some cash away that you won't miss and look everywhere. eBay, cons, web sites and of course, the boards here.

I would take that 500,put it in a savings account specifically for your grail book.Put 20,40 or whatever you can afford to put in each paycheck.Until you have enough money to buy a keeper grail book,instead of buying a lesser grade book that you won't be happy with.I always try to buy the best grade book I can first off so I don't have to upgrade. 2c

top notch advice. that money adds up, and you'll be happier with what you can get in 6 or 8 months.

i managed to get this guy (liberated CGC 5.0) recently for not much more than your max.

gl1h.jpg

Outside of that, I don't have the ability to do to many/any cons. So that closes a pretty big door for me.

You really don't have to do conventions. Most of the big dealers who set up at cons have web-sites and/or list books here. Also stay abreast of what Comiclink and Heritage are offering on their regular auctions. I would venture a guess that the majority of what you would have access to at a con you could probably find on-line.

No, you don't. A whole host of defects are allowed in that grade. You could find a copy in which writing isn't one of them. But follow oakman's advice and you won't have to tolerate as many defects.

As others have said: patience. Don't just grab the first copy that comes along. None of these books are that scarce. It may seem that way now that you're in the market for one, but trust what others here are saying - the right one will come along in time.

My suggestion would be a variation of what oakman and others are saying. Go ahead and buy the best copy you can with your budget and continue to save. Then, when you have enough accumulated between the value of your current copy and your cash, sell the current copy and buy the upgrade.

my approach recognizes that key books like DD1 and GL1 are generally increasing in value.

Good luck!

Any combination of the above advice works. I like buying a good presenting (eye appeal) lower grade to use toward an upgrade in the future on certain books. However, some books I don't wanna put much $$$ into and will settle for a lower technical grade book with good eye appeal. Lastly, saving a little bit more money for a bit will allow you to buy a much nicer book on ones you want in higher grade.

Happy hunting (thumbs u

Invest in quality...over quantity....

although, I do have this beauty missing pages for sale :lol:

And you'd still have the majority of your money to chase other books....

138023.jpg.e39de21804f4197499393735be3600c3.jpg

I want to punch whatever little butt cut out the best part lol.

Edit: I think I'm going to hunt around to see if there's anything worthwhile in my price range and if not I will put that in my "wait until I graduate college and have a real job" list

There is a GL #1 in the GA/SA/BA sales thread,just sayin' :whistle:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6707026#Post6707026

I've been looking for one in there every hour for the past 2 days. Take a 3 hour road trip, and one pops up on me.

Kevin, I totally agree with you. That's kind of what worries me. I'm 22, my girlfriend doesn't even think I should be spending that kind of money on a comic at my age (although it's not like that's very young)

Well the nice part is u are getting something great for your money...this is a well sought after book and probably will hold its value pretty well if you decide to sell it...I would actually say you will probably be able to sell it for more if you choose to to sell way down the road...buy what you love and can afford!!! (thumbs u

For what it is worth, I bought my first valuable comic at 21 (Showcase 22) at a Con and paid out the nose (+10% over what others were going for at the time).

I sold it for a profit three years ago (at 28) and doubled my money.

I also have a bunch of modern comics that are worth far less than what I bought them for.

You can always tell your girlfriend what I tell my wife (advice I got from a fellow board member): "at least the comic books will always be worth something someday, whether they double or halve in money. but I can always go down to the local bar and buy a bunch of drinks that won't be worth anything in the morning."

I agree with what everyone here is saying, its all good advice for the new collector.

I freeley admit that I used to be a label chaser in the past, only 9.8s would do. But after having an intervention of some sorts and actually looking at the books in question I have really altered my collecting focus.

I now look for books that meet the criteria I set out for myself, regardless of grade.

If the grade presented to me is low, medium or even high I will take a look if it meets my set criteria.

- do I agree with the grade (we all know we can't always go by the number in the top left!)

- well centered

- PQ, ideally not Light Tan, Brittle or in some cases Cream.

- no shop stamps or pence copies

These are some of my criteria and I have found that regardless of grade, if I look for these things I do end up with books I am generally happy with. The old days of buying a 9.8 when it had a horrid miswrap are over and I haven't looked back.

GreenLantern1.jpg