• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Liefeld trying to Kickstart Brigade

35 posts in this topic

Mind you - if you could swing it to get a CGC witness there.

Wow - 2 whole armfulls of SS Liefeld signed books.

Is that good or bad... hm

If you can get him to draw Deadpool on every one, ^^

-slym

What a joke

Why is it a joke?

I've meet him and he was great! Plus I got sketch from him and he did not charge me anything for it.

I don't think it's the meeting, I think it's the $1500 price tag placed on a lunch that's concerning the OP.

Your meeting might not have been as satisfying or great if he talked to you, and gave you a sketch along with an invoice for $1500. lol

^^

What a joke

Why is it a joke?

I've meet him and he was great! Plus I got sketch from him and he did not charge me anything for it.

I don't think it's the meeting, I think it's the $1500 price tag placed on a lunch that's concerning the OP.

Your meeting might not have been as satisfying or great if he talked to you, and gave you a sketch along with an invoice for $1500. lol

That's part of it. I've never heard bad things about Liefeld with regards to how he treats fans in person. My biggest gripe is that he comes off like getting his autograph and getting to hang out with him is like hanging out with a rockstar.

My other joke was going to be would Brigade become the first comic ever to miss the Free Comic Book Day deadline and show up two months late lol .

It bugs me that some of the most financially successful comicbook artists like Rob and Marc Silvestri are using kickstarter to launch comics but people seem to support it though

Only two months? Rob has improved considerably since his Deathmate days... hm

:roflmao:

-slym

So true, and yet so sad.

I'm still trying to figure out how he screwed up his sweet gig with DC at the start of the new 52. Him and Snyder had beef over twitter, but that seemed to come after his issues with DC.

And, if I'm not mistaken, aren't all the books he was involved with at DC now cancelled or scheduled for cancellation?

Only two months? Rob has improved considerably since his Deathmate days... hm

:roflmao:

So true, and yet so sad.

I'm still trying to figure out how he screwed up his sweet gig with DC at the start of the new 52. Him and Snyder had beef over twitter, but that seemed to come after his issues with DC.

And, if I'm not mistaken, aren't all the books he was involved with at DC now cancelled or scheduled for cancellation?

Holy mess, really?

:o

-slym

It bugs me that some of the most financially successful comicbook artists like Rob and Marc Silvestri are using kickstarter to launch comics but people seem to support it though

Why shouldn't they?

Why shouldn't they?

More like Why ARE they?

As established creators, they're essentially saying,

"Despite having worked for every major publisher, being part owner or at one time part owner of the hugely successful Image Comics, having our OWN publishing studios, and using characters that we've worked hard to keep in the public eye for the last 20 years, we've found NO ONE that wants to put up the money to publish this and ha ha ha, we're not putting up OUR money, so we thought we'd stick our noses into this kickstarter thing, crowd the room a bit for some of these talented young whippersnappers on here, and present our dried-up-talent-well as FREE with your donation. Hey, we made you think this cr@p was worth something in the 90's, nerd nostalgia is gonna getcha!

Yeah, this Kickstarter thing is great! Heck, we can even Pre-Sell the Original Art, by setting it up as a PRIZE for a specific donation!!! We don't have to go to work until you pay us! lol "

Why shouldn't they?

I'm not saying they shouldn't I said the idea of millionaires begging for money in a system like Kickstarter the purpose of which was to set up financing for people who truly don't have the financial backing, bothers me. Both of these guys have had tremendous financial success, a solid fan base and a privileged spot within the system of their given marketplace. I could see if they were using this system for something big, like getting books into wider distribution or a national advertising campaign. Something out of the scope of the everyday.

Free comics at least in the case of Cyberforce were not free, retailers had to buy them. Nothing like thousands of fans walking into LCS around the country demanding free product that's not really free. If the retailer can't deliver he has ill will with a costumers, not top cow. Could you imagine is marvel or DC did this with a top top tier book, it's possible they'd cause massive ill will between customers and retailers probably destroying many LCS in the process.

But i digress, My problem isn't so much that some of the most financially successful artists or independent publishers in comics history are using a fund raising site. it's how they are using it. At the very least give YOUR fans something they really want. Top cow relaunched Cyberforce but what was the real draw of that book to begin with? Marc Silvestri's art. Raise the money to make it worthwhile for Silvestri to draw the best freakin comic he's ever done. use it to put together a mega creative team.

If I'm a fan of Rob Liefeld, i want to see the best comic he can do. That preview art is not the best Rob liefeld. It doesn't even say Rob will be drawing it. heck, finish Bloodsport via kickstarter. I'd imagine that's the book liefeld fans really want.

Why shouldn't they?

More like Why ARE they?

As established creators, they're essentially saying,

"Despite having worked for every major publisher, being part owner or at one time part owner of the hugely successful Image Comics, having our OWN publishing studios, and using characters that we've worked hard to keep in the public eye for the last 20 years, we've found NO ONE that wants to put up the money to publish this and ha ha ha, we're not putting up OUR money, so we thought we'd stick our noses into this kickstarter thing, crowd the room a bit for some of these talented young whippersnappers on here, and present our dried-up-talent-well as FREE with your donation. Hey, we made you think this cr@p was worth something in the 90's, nerd nostalgia is gonna getcha!

Yeah, this Kickstarter thing is great! Heck, we can even Pre-Sell the Original Art, by setting it up as a PRIZE for a specific donation!!! We don't have to go to work until you pay us! lol "

Yes!

kickstarter presents a great opportunity for artists/writers to do dream projects for their fans and create a level of awareness they won't get in the LCS. I hope artists people love, who no longer have a place at Marvel or DC or the direct marketplace use Kickstarter much better before stuff like this kills the interest