• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Wolverine trailer

91 posts in this topic

I thought it was gonna be based on the 80s mini?

It is, but they had to make all these changes so it would appeal to a greater audience...

:ohnoez:

Shut up haters - this will be better than all X movies except X2.

:screwy:

You might be the only person who thinks this movie doesn't have a chance of winning this years razzi award.

This movie shows no promise what so ever.

Total POS!

Frank Miller just dug his own grave and turned over. :news:

You might be the only person who thinks this movie doesn't have a chance of winning this years razzi award.

Total POS!

i'd be dumping those DD #111's posthaste- looks awful.

a bay wolverine film would be bonkers awesome...

:wishluck: With Logan attacking the SHIELD helicarrier on his motorcycle and fighting on the nose of a stealth bomber in flight.

Total POS!

What about Chris Claremont? :baiting:

What about Chris Claremont? :baiting:

Why don't we ask him?

March 2013 interview

Q: Shifting to the films, we've got the "Days of Future Past" movie coming on the horizon, and we've got the Wolverine movie, which seems to be heavily inspired by your initial miniseries starring the character. Which do you think is going to be more of a challenging adaptation in terms of keeping to the source material and not straying too far?

A: Well, the sad reality of Hollywood, especially as it relates to comic books, is that there is never a direct adaptation of source material. I think "Watchmen" was maybe the only time that that was tried.

"The Wolverine" was a project that the producer, Lauren Shuler Donner, has wanted to do ever since I've known her, which is going on better than fifteen years, now. She's loved the story that Frank Miller and I did and has wanted to bring it to the screen. In the story's original incarnation, in Christopher McQuarrie's original screenplay, that was what it was and it was really cool. I mean, I read it; it was good.

Jean Grey was not intended to be resurrected when Claremont and Byrne originally killed her

This is when Darren Aronofsky was going to direct, and then, after last year's Oscars, he decided he had other things that were more pressing and withdrew from the project. The new director came in wanting to bring his own writing crew on the project, wanting to express his own vision, and it has, as I understand, morphed somewhat considerably from the original story.

I believe there's a photograph, for example, of Hugh Jackman with the bone claws. Which -- that's really cool, it looks great, but that's not in my story. So I would assume it has morphed considerably. We'll find out this summer.

There was a report online that Bryan Singer was talking about integrating Apocalypse into the "Days of Future Past" storyline, which would obviously be a significant evolution from the original material. Again, this is the nature of Hollywood, or as it seems to approach Marvel product. There is a tremendous amount of synergy between existing concepts and the finished film product. It's never a straight, you know, "This week we do 'Harry Potter 1,' next week we do 'Harry Potter 2,' the week after we do 'Harry Potter 3,'" building up to the end. Which from the point of view, purely as a writer, one's reaction is, "Goldarn it."

The reality of the situation is, these guys are professionals, they're filmmakers, they presumably know what they're doing and that's the way it is.

Hopefully the end result will be really good and something that all involved will be proud of. Bryan and Lauren have certainly pulled together, at this point, one crackerjack cast. Not only the existing actors from "X-Men: First Class," but pretty much all the key players from the "X-Men" films. I'm looking forward very much to seeing what comes out of it -- next year. [Laughs]

As I understand, they start shooting this summer. I would suspect you'll have a really cool presentation at San Diego.

Sounds like he is pretty open-minded about alterations, as long as the final product is solid in the story it is delivering. What a concept!

(:

Oh, wait.

I was supposed to say, "Claremont must have a shotgun in his mouth, his toe on the trigger, and is just waiting to hear the story doesn't even match his original content 100% before making a final decision".

Let's go with that one. It seems to please some of those that need to have a negative bent on things.

Oh, wait.

I was supposed to say, "Claremont must have a shotgun in his mouth, his toe on the trigger, and is just waiting to hear the story doesn't even match his original content 100% before making a final decision".

Let's go with that one. It seems to please some of those that need to have a negative bent on things.

Really. What I took from it is they're changing his story and he's basically saying it is what it is (shrug)

Really. What I took from it is they're changing his story and he's basically saying it is what it is (shrug)

I'm sure you did. I would be surprised completely if something was said otherwise. He started off the response feeling a little letdown they deviated from the original material.

Hopefully the end result will be really good and something that all involved will be proud of. Bryan and Lauren have certainly pulled together, at this point, one crackerjack cast. Not only the existing actors from "X-Men: First Class," but pretty much all the key players from the "X-Men" films. I'm looking forward very much to seeing what comes out of it -- next year. [Laughs]

To me, though, this sounds like a creator that is being much more open-minded than some of you give him credit for. They want to be entertained like anyone else.

I'm sure you did. I would be surprised completely if something was said otherwise. He started off the response feeling a little letdown they deviated from the original material.

To me, though, this sounds like a creator that is being much more open-minded than some of you give him credit for. They want to be entertained like anyone else.

Maybe. Or maybe he would rather not burn any bridges with a company he might want to work for again in the future. Naw.

Maybe. Or maybe he would rather not burn any bridges with a company he might want to work for again in the future. Naw.

Tell the story any way you want from the mouth of Claremont. Meanwhile, the guy is saying something different from what you are portraying his state of mind is with the situation.

(shrug)

Tell the story any way you want from the mouth of Claremont. Meanwhile, the guy is saying something different from what you are portraying his state of mind is with the situation.

(shrug)

No, he's not...he's actually saying BOTH. I'm willing to bet you can find a quote of Stan Lee saying he liked Ghost Rider: Spirits of Vengeance...doesn't mean it's true.

Given his druthers, I would bet my house that Claremont would prefer that if they were going to make a movie based on his work, that he would rather it be closer to the source than it will be.

Alan Moore loved what they did with his work so much that he refused to have his name on the projects and openly talked poorly of them. Probably because he doesn't care if he ever works for DC again.