• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it your prerogative to use pay pal family and friends?

37 posts in this topic

That new layout just appeared a few weeks back for me when I tried sending payment. Prior to that, I always had to choose between a good/services or personal tab, which then gave me 4 options (gift, etc.). I only knew whether I'd be hit with fees when I pressed continue, and it would break it down for me on the second page of the payment process.

Did you always have to pay the extra 1% conversion fee for non-US transactions even on personal payments?

That new layout just appeared a few weeks back for me when I tried sending payment. Prior to that, I always had to choose between a good/services or personal tab, which then gave me 4 options (gift, etc.). I only knew whether I'd be hit with fees when I pressed continue, and it would break it down for me on the second page of the payment process.

Did you always have to pay the extra 1% converse fee for non-US transactions even on personal payments?

I have avoided that surcharge because my account is in USD. The only time I ever had to pay exchange rate in the 10+ years I've held the account happened back in March of this year when I purchased something from a local retailer. They wanted payment in CAD, and even though the CAD currency was slightly higher than USD at the time, I still got dinged with an exchange rate fee.

BTW: here are a few threads on another forum - I know I wasn't the only one who noticed this layout change (as I have sent numerous "gift" transactions purchasing on the RS forums in the past year). Here is also another thread which talks about fees, and some agreement from Canadian members who have been hit with fees on both balance and cc funded purchases.

These country specific or "international" controls might well be explained by PayPal managing it's payment gateway by IP location. (shrug)

I threw this out in another thread, but Dwolla is a great alternative, fee transactions under $10 are free and 25 cents for anything over. Works pretty much identically as Paypal, but is not as popular (yet). I wish more people were interested in dumping Paypal.

I threw this out in another thread, but Dwolla is a great alternative, fee transactions under $10 are free and 25 cents for anything over. Works pretty much identically as Paypal, but is not as popular (yet). I wish more people were interested in dumping Paypal.

Why? I think paypal works great.

Since sarcasm isn't translatable through text, I'm going to assume you are being serious. In this case, if you are able to figure out how to send the money without accruing fees, it would work fine.

Somewhere on Dwolla's site there is a chart outlining the fee's of the two, can't find it for some reason. So, here's an article about it that came up instead:

http://cashmoneylife.com/paypal-vs-dwolla/

Not a fan of Paypal. I am a fan of free though.

Why? I think paypal works great.

It works better than great. The thing I really like about it is that it allows me to not have to worry about having another company store my credit card information, which is often stolen. If I purchase 10 things online per month from different retailers, I'd have my information spread across 10 businesses, increasing the chances of it being stolen. With Paypal, my credit information is hidden from the companies I made those 10 purchases from, and 10X less chance something happens to it.

I wish more big retailers used it. Yeah, I know people struggle with Paypal, but I have been pretty lucky in the past 13 years using it.

Since sarcasm isn't translatable through text, I'm going to assume you are being serious. In this case, if you are able to figure out how to send the money without accruing fees, it would work fine.

Somewhere on Dwolla's site there is a chart outlining the fee's of the two, can't find it for some reason. So, here's an article about it that came up instead:

http://cashmoneylife.com/paypal-vs-dwolla/

Not a fan of Paypal. I am a fan of free though.

Not being sarcastic at all. I think Paypal is a great service.

In certain instances I have paid people using the friends and family option before. I will probably do it again.

Argh I just bought some stuff off Amazon.com last night for the first time in a few years and they don't accept Paypal as a payment method.

:pullhair:

Argh I just bought some stuff off Amazon.com last night for the first time in a few years and they don't accept Paypal as a payment method.

Do you think eBay owning PayPal is likely to cause more issues like this in the future? Ebay's competitors might not want to use their e-pay method.

-slym

Do you think eBay owning PayPal is likely to cause more issues like this in the future? Ebay's competitors might not want to use their e-pay method.

-slym

Why should Amazon take Paypal? So they can get 3% less money per transaction? doh!

1) It is the biggest online payment program out there. Convenience is a big factor.

2) I am sure there could be some way for larger online retailers to get a cut, maybe split the 3% in thirds, PP keeps 2% and one goes to "Amazon" or whomever.

Smaller companies would get less than 1% but still, one would think something could be worked out.

:doh:

-slym

1) It is the biggest online payment program out there. Convenience is a big factor.

2) I am sure there could be some way for larger online retailers to get a cut, maybe split the 3% in thirds, PP keeps 2% and one goes to "Amazon" or whomever.

Smaller companies would get less than 1% but still, one would think something could be worked out.

:doh:

-slym

But seeing as how E-bay is wanting to become Amazon, Amazon has no reason to help E-bay out by accepting Paypal payments. It would be like Sony taking Microsoft points for PS3 online games. It won't happen. hm

Nowhere in there did I say "Amazon only." I am not limiting my question to just Amazon. I get it, there would be trouble with Amazon.

Will there be with other outlets?

-slym

I believe it is a breach of their contract terms to use it to pay for purchases.

If that is the case, then you are guilty of theft of service.

No big deal in todays society where people speed, litter, and routinely break a dozen laws each day.

I suppose it comes down to what is your word worth to you.. You agreed to abide by their rules. Is it worth it to steal over a piddling fee?

Do you know that for sure? I read the service agreement and could not find it.

It is implicit in my question that I intend to abide by the terms of the contract. What I am trying to figure out is if it actually is a term of the agreement and hence binding.

If that is the service agreement I am happy to abide by it but in the current case where I am being paid several instalments in the 4-6k range the service fee is not

piddling

. And as I trust the payer I am happy to waive the insurance if it waives the fee.

P.S it wouldn't be theft. It is a breach of contract which is civil, theft is criminal.

This is copied and pasted directly out of Paypals User Agreement............

4.1 Receiving Personal Payments. If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a Personal Payment for the purchase. If you do so, PayPal may remove your ability to accept Personal Payments.

And that is all it says about that.........