• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four 1 CGC 9.4 slight (A)

46 posts in this topic

That was my original thought. I emailed the seller for the restoration notes for just that reason. I don't know about the staple replacement though. That's not typical.

If you are in contact with him ask him to stop by here and post.

We could always use another victim PLOD story. smirk.gif

I have no problem with staple replacement,but it is pretty un-reversible.

B00009W0U4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Amazing...they have a cover like that and they still have to let ya' know "For Mature audiences only". crazy.gif

Well, duh?

No... that film contains a graphic rape scene. It was very controversial when it came out. That's the reason they're going out of their way to make the point that it's "for mature audiences."

Oh... blush.gif

Back to topic....a restored CGC 8.0 sold for $2400.00 US on e-bay about a month or two ago. I bought a raw (heavily restored copy) in Apparent 8.0 for $1600.00 about a year ago.

...just putting this in as a point of reference to this one.

Maybe the scammer got scammed?

That's an interesting thought. It's make sense too because the rest of the story fits the pattern.

Well naturally it came back with slight restoration but it did grade a 9.4

Interesting that he wrote that.

Yeah, nothing makes apparent sense. He bought it as VF/NM...naturally it was restored...came back a 9.4. Sounds like he bought a nice copy, then did some work himself in the pre-CGC days and finally was a bit peeved when his submission got a PLOD. A fairly common story I'm sure.

Yeah, nothing makes apparent sense. He bought it as VF/NM...naturally it was restored...came back a 9.4. Sounds like he bought a nice copy, then did some work himself in the pre-CGC days and finally was a bit peeved when his submission got a PLOD. A fairly common story I'm sure.

I don't see anything at all in this auction which would lead you to that conclusion. If I bought a VF/NM raw copy of FF #1 on ebay, I can assure that I, too, would assume it was restored. However, if I got it at a price that I could live with even if it had been restored--let's say around $5K to $10K--then I might just hold onto it without getting it slabbed.

I've seen a few VF/NM raw copies sell on ebay, so this auction didn't surprise me too much.

If I bought a book as VF/NM I would be amazed to see it come back as a 9.4, which seems to indicate that both the seller and myself severly undergraded it. Very few people undergrade their own books, there are some but they are massively outnumbered by the overgraders.

OMG 893whatthe.gif How much did they trim of that RHS, it looks like the took an inch! That is soo bad, how anyone can even think to bid almost $8k is beyond me foreheadslap.gif

Two forms of 'resto' (If they can be called that!) that cannot be reversed, staple replacement, and trimming 893frustrated.gif What a ruination of a good book (which was probably still in an 8. range to beging with)!

well, an inch is certainly a bit of an overstatement, but you're right about it being severe.

as i look at the Gerber copy, it's clear that this book should have a wee bit more cover on the right edge based on the cover placement. instead it has about a quarter inch less cover showing.

i'm also assuming that the words "right edge trimmed" means it's the entire book and not just the cover - correct??

and what would an unrestored 8.0 go for these days??

seller hasn't responded to my email inquiring whom he purchased the book from. confused-smiley-013.gif

Why should he respond to your e-mail? What right do you have to demand such private information? You have neither the interest, nor the funds for that matter, to purchase such a book. Stop wasting the sellers time with your insignificant ramblings. sign-rantpost.gif

seller hasn't responded to my email inquiring whom he purchased the book from. confused-smiley-013.gif

Why should he respond to your e-mail? What right do you have to demand such private information? You have neither the interest, nor the funds for that matter, to purchase such a book. Stop wasting the sellers time with your insignificant ramblings. sign-rantpost.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

popcorn.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

When I made my first post I didn't realize Slight(A) included trimming.

I would have cut my guess in half to $15,000 but would have still been off by a bit.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I guess people really hate trimming. poke2.gif