• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC QC

8 posts in this topic

shipping & handling

In 2013 I have received five packages back from CGC. Two of which were submitted in 2012 and three others submitted this year at ECCC.

It is the three 2013 invoices I would like to address, a six book invoice of SA & BA SS books on fast track, a two book SS modern invoice, and a four book modern invoice.

As many of you know, all six of my SA & BA books arrived with broken slabs, but the box which was shipped USPS registered was unscathed. Having noted no damage to the box, I didn't thoroughly examine my books until I took them down to photograph them for the registry. These books are currently at CGC being reslabbed.

What I remembered was that the books unpacked unusually easy, and in retrospect I felt that the packing of my books was substandard. Not just below CGC standards, which in the past have required a knife, persistence, and occasionally a chainsaw in order to access my books - packing I respect - but beneath general industry standards when compared to what is shipped to me by Clink, Heritage, Worldwide, Pedigree and the other sites/shops I purchase from online.

When my two packages of moderns arrived over the weekend, I held onto them until I could take them to my LCS and open them in front of a friend who has opened CGC packages with me in the past.

This is what I found: 1 layer of styrofoam peanuts, 1 piece of bubble wrap (large bubble type), slab, piece of cardboard, slab, piece of cardboard, slab, invoice, piece of cardboard, slab, bubble wrap folded over on the bottom & two sides.

Here is what I didn't find: any tape holding things in place, anything between the top of my slabs and the inside of the box, anything keeping my books from sliding around inside the packing material.

I am surprised these two packages arrived undamaged.

I feel if we want our cherished books shipped carefully, we must speak up.

Sincerely

Lee K

13660.jpg

See more journals by Lee K

Totally feel your pain and disappointment.

I can only imagine, if this becomes a common occurrence, CGC will take notice for the loss of monies it represents. If however, this is a rare event, then I doubt it will change things. And so long as CGC replaces all damaged slabs free of charge, there's not much else to do.

On another note... I love the way Neal Adams personalized his inscription for you. Very nice cover. His Adam Strange is probably the best rendition of the character.

I hope all your comics come back to you soon... safe and sound.

Keep the faith!

SW3D

This is what I found: 1 layer of styrofoam peanuts, 1 piece of bubble wrap (large bubble type), slab, piece of cardboard, slab, piece of cardboard, slab, invoice, piece of cardboard, slab, bubble wrap folded over on the bottom & two sides

I have been subbing books since 2005 and this is how each and every one has been packed if there are less than 12 slabs. More than that and they go into the stand-up mailers with the cardboard separator square.

Hey

I have to agree with seanfingh. I have always had my books shipped and packed this way.

However, I do agree that it is not the safest method. I have not had any damages yet but if I did I would be immediately on to CGC to reslab them for no extra cost.

On a side note, I recently had a fiasco of FedEx delivering my package and, in a moment of clear genius by the delivery driver because I wasnt home, he signed for the package himself and left it by my back door...!!!

I couldnt find it when I returned home and started to severely panic as the comics in the box were worth probably $1500 and I know they are shipped with minimal insurance to me as I live in Canada.

I called FedEx who said a signature is not mandatory on any CGC shipment, which CGC said is not true, and that ultimately they would only provide a $100 refund. CGC would not refund me anything despite telling them what FedEx had said. Luckily I found the package stuffed round the corner under some old items I am storing - so this is a lesson to all that if you get your books sent to you INSURE THEM,. And if CGC are reslabbing your books without extra cost I am happy for you!

This is what I found: 1 layer of styrofoam peanuts, 1 piece of bubble wrap (large bubble type), slab, piece of cardboard, slab, piece of cardboard, slab, invoice, piece of cardboard, slab, bubble wrap folded over on the bottom & two sides

I have been subbing books since 2005 and this is how each and every one has been packed if there are less than 12 slabs. More than that and they go into the stand-up mailers with the cardboard separator square.

Well, you certainly have twice the years of experience I have - and certainly you have submitted far more books than I. But the packing in these past three packages was far less secure than the packages I received even in last year's submissions.

Maybe that is only my memory - but I am reasonably certain that this represents the only times my bubble wrap didn't completely encircle my books.

Yes - they are being reslabbed. But I had to be a little pushy to have it happen - the first response was 'the books were damaged in shipping - contact USPS' - even though there was no evidence of damage to the shipping container. And where I can speak freely, because I work as an insurance underwriter - is here: no claim against the shipping insurance is going to be honored by the insurance company if there is no evidence of damage to the container - 'inadaquate/inappropriate packaging' is going to be the answer and the claim will be denied unless you get a really lucky and pull a sympathetic claims adjuster.

Lee K

Well, you certainly have twice the years of experience I have - and certainly you have submitted far more books than I. But the packing in these past three packages was far less secure than the packages I received even in last year's submissions.

Maybe that is only my memory - but I am reasonably certain that this represents the only times my bubble wrap didn't completely encircle my books.

Yes - they are being reslabbed. But I had to be a little pushy to have it happen - the first response was 'the books were damaged in shipping - contact USPS' - even though there was no evidence of damage to the shipping container. And where I can speak freely, because I work as an insurance underwriter - is here: no claim against the shipping insurance is going to be honored by the insurance company if there is no evidence of damage to the container - 'inadaquate/inappropriate packaging' is going to be the answer and the claim will be denied unless you get a really lucky and pull a sympathetic claims adjuster.

Lee K

I respect what you are saying, and you are not the only one who feels they have been skimping on packaging. I was more commenting that the style of packaging hasn't changed.