• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A pre summer days New Mutants interlude.. posted by ENVYotb

6 posts in this topic

A quick aside on the New Mutants cgc community

As Ive been reading passed journals and acclimating to the CGC community Ive noticed a significant number of New Mutants fans!

For my first submission I sent #87 and 98, 1sts apps of cable and deadpool natch, as I wanted to start with some money books.

Despite a ludicrous amount of books to whittle down to 15 for my first submit, I couldnt help but also send NM #1 and #2. Not even remotely comparable value choices next to my many other options, but I thought they were good copies and their personal value to me was high. Just sent in my New Mutants graphic novel, cgc received it yesterday.

I guess I was a little surprised to discover so many journals containing New Mutants mentions when the bulk of the series really is fairly low value.

Correction: pleasantly surprised. Nice to see the community appears to truly be collectors focused on theyre personal loves vs simple prospectors.

Ill wrap up this not so quick nor brief aside with a shout out to all the New Mutants lovers, its a pleasure to meet you and share in that particular passion!

Excelsior!

ps kinda makes me feel that the series may be a bit undervalued over all in general. Seems to carry a more ardent following than any current price guides suggest

See more journals by ENVYotb

ENVY - I have to say that for me it all comes down to Tnerb in this one. When I first began my enjoyment of comics I caught the tale end of this one with my enjoyment starting at issue 86 and going on from there. It wasn't until the X-Force that I really picked this one group up and stayed on for a significant amount of time. I think once I was attracted to the whole "Black ops" ideology that these characters followed I became hooked.

As far as back issues go though I didn't really ever go back and check them out much because I was only 2 when the series kicked off in 83 I believe. At the point I jumped on Liefeld's art and the combination of his and Nicieza's story's were what kept me attracted to this series and held me through the X-Force run. I too have copies of 87 and 98 but when I found them I realized I really liked that story line as a kid because those were some heavily read issues I was holding onto.

For the most part after going back and reading some of the TPB's on my iPad I realized that most probably enjoyed the idea of while being young they were still always willing to sacrifice for one another. Comraderie was instilled in these young children and over time you see how they have developed. Personally being a fan of both Legion and Magik I don't see how I could ever have gone on without having read over these truly amazing issues and to see why all of those characters are so loved.

Not to long ago I read over a few of my issues with the Second Coming Hellbound series featuring Magik, Canonball, and a few others and truly would never have understood why he was willing to do so much to help out someone that has hurt so many of the New X-Men characters. Had I not read over how these relatioships had been previously established I would never have understood it.

I do have to say that over the past year I have noticed the rise in prices that many of these issues have seen. Back in June of 2012 when I acquired my first New Mutants I paid only $21 for issue #5. Now I would be lucky to find that same issue on eBay for under $40.

To end, its an amazing storyline that has truly laid the foundation for many of the new comics we or at least I enjoy today. Uncanny X-Men, X-Men Legacy, and even the Avengers now that Cannonball and Sunspot are full fledged members.

Maybe this should be a series Marvel decides to start back up.

K

Speaking of New Mutants..... When is the movie coming out? From my brief research, it appears Fox owns the title and there was a little chatter last summer of a possible movie?

I was curious what the New Mutant fans thought about a possible film?

Which characters do you anticipate?

Who would you like to see cast as those characters?

Is there any possibility of a tease in the upcoming X-Men film?

Most definitely an undervalued series! Of course, I'm biased.

Cannonball has consistently been my favorite mutant since I first started reading this series back in 1986. Magik was fascinating as well and has continued to be so throughout the years.

The way they came together over hate, but ultimately became some of the most self-sacrificing heroes is a testament to what character development in writing is all about!

One by one, these issues have become more and more sought after. It has taken a long time and while it's still not QUITE there yet, the following for these characters has done nothing but increased.

I only hope one day to see these guys in a movie of their own. That would be absolutely awesome!!!!

This is the most underrated series in points, Dazzler, Alpha Flight, Gi Joe and Transformers all have a higher point value. And I think less sets in the registry. That might have changed when I researched the data. Issues 1-50 are unparalleled. Chris Claremont created such a small world with characters he basically had the full authority to do what he wanted. After I read issue six, a back issue for me, I was shocked, and then years later when that issue finally gave me answers. Two years later of waiting. If you remember it was Chris Claremont who originally came up with the idea of the twelve, an idea that never properly utilized what was envisioned.

Then there is a great amount of first appearances.The books is great not only to collect, but to read. Good luck in this endeavor. Welcome to the dark side.