• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re-holdering fee

33 posts in this topic

They don't take reholder submissions at shows either, they told me I had to mail it in.

What's the on-site grading fee? Seems like that's a cheaper option all things considered.

They don't take reholder submissions at shows either, they told me I had to mail it in.

What's the on-site grading fee? Seems like that's a cheaper option all things considered.

Rolling the dice on a re-grade might not be the best idea...

I reholder a lot of books. It generally is not worth it unless you are doing at least ten lower value books or five high value books. My last submission of several high dollar books cost about $110 and well over $50 for registered mail to CGC. I prefer to wait until I have ten, but I really needed these books done so I could put them in my collection and take them to storage.

I got the books back in less than ten days with return shipping b CGC. Overall, this was the most impressive reholder I ever experienced and think CGC gets shafted sometimes when it comes to turnaround times. A few years back I had a reholder submission sit for months. They have gotten much better at making this service fast and convenient and I think that is because they no longer take submissions at shows. Whatever can be done to make things more efficient. While I understand this may upset some of their customers, I would venture to say that the cost of transportation, insurance, and space limitations did not make accepting reholders at conventions a wise and profitable business move as it could be. Plus the fact that certain individuals would only drop off one book; thus costing CGC significant amounts in packing materials to send the book back (you can ship more than one book back to a customer in a box that costs just as much). I think most collectors (if having to pay shipping) will reholder more than one book. It's much more cost efficient for all parties involved when doing this.

I reholder a lot of books. It generally is not worth it unless you are doing at least ten lower value books or five high value books. My last submission of several high dollar books cost about $110 and well over $50 for registered mail to CGC. I prefer to wait until I have ten, but I really needed these books done so I could put them in my collection and take them to storage.

I got the books back in less than ten days with return shipping b CGC. Overall, this was the most impressive reholder I ever experienced and think CGC gets shafted sometimes when it comes to turnaround times. A few years back I had a reholder submission sit for months. They have gotten much better at making this service fast and convenient and I think that is because they no longer take submissions at shows. Whatever can be done to make things more efficient. While I understand this may upset some of their customers, I would venture to say that the cost of transportation, insurance, and space limitations did not make accepting reholders at conventions a wise and profitable business move as it could be. Plus the fact that certain individuals would only drop off one book; thus costing CGC significant amounts in packing materials to send the book back (you can ship more than one book back to a customer in a box that costs just as much). I think most collectors (if having to pay shipping) will reholder more than one book. It's much more cost efficient for all parties involved when doing this.

I think CGC has turned around reholders rapidly for a long while. Must have something to do with no regrading necessary, insurance impact if the books are held too long, and plus it would tie up critical staff that are needed to handle new books coming through.

I sent in reholders a few months back, and within only 2-3 days CGC had them processed, reholdered and on their way back. Quite impressive!

I think it's pretty quick for them to see if the slab was tampered with, due to design, so once they distinguish the book/slab hasn't been tampered with, they can reholder the book(s) quickly and send em on their way

I just accidentally stepped on one of my books....I had it on the floor so I could take a picture :facepalm:

I'm charging myself $12

Oh no :facepalm: Is the book ok?

Yes, lol...it's fine serves me right for walking backwards and not looking. You will probably see it in my sales thread tomorrow or whenever I finish. You can barely see the crack. Much better than when my husband managed to crack off the whole bottom portion of my GA GL #1 and I was a tiny bit agitated;)...(everyone probably heard me on that one;)

when will people learn not to ship in an envelope?

this same thing happened to me with my NM CGC 9.8 a couple years ago...

I enjoyed getting the book. I did not enjoy turning the envelope upside down and watching little plastic pieces trickle onto the floor.

I just got some reholdered. The nice thing is that they don't go in the typical line so it goes a lot faster than books being graded. I believe the CGC shipping is $10.00 with an additional $2.00 for every book but that is off the top of my head. If that is correct this will cost you $36.00.

send it back

the cost to reholder + shipping to and from, etc. makes this a no brainer.

if you saved a ton of money and eating the reholder cost still puts you ahead I might say go for it, but you spent $40 on this

Seller is willing to refund me 15$ towards the damage, so in my book he/she is doing the right thing. I think I wouldve sent it back along a negative had he/she didnt volunteer a resolve.

But as it stands, I do want to keep the book for the additional discount and not too sure if Ill go for reholding now.

I just got some reholdered. The nice thing is that they don't go in the typical line so it goes a lot faster than books being graded. I believe the CGC shipping is $10.00 with an additional $2.00 for every book but that is off the top of my head. If that is correct this will cost you $36.00.

Lucky Americans. It's a minimum of $60 this way across the border. :cry: