• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doesnt the grade on this Hulk 181 seem a bit generous?

21 posts in this topic

Hulk 181 9.2

On a bronze book there was a time when blunted corners and the kind of light wear thats present throughout this book would have knocked it out of the 9.0 range, not even mentioning the large and unsightly discoloration/dent at the top of the page.

Is there a natural relaxing of bronze age grading standards as these books age, or have CGC's standards changed quite a bit in a short space of time?

Hulk 181 9.2

On a bronze book there was a time when blunted corners and the kind of light wear thats present throughout this book would have knocked it out of the 9.0 range, not even mentioning the large and unsightly discoloration/dent at the top of the page.

Is there a natural relaxing of bronze age grading standards as these books age, or have CGC's standards changed quite a bit in a short space of time?

Look VF to me... confused.gif Must have been submitted by Heritage! 27_laughing.gif

IH%20181%20CGC%202s.jpg

HULK 181 thread

9.2?? I wouldve definately failed this one if it were in Nikos contest!! 893whatthe.gif

Where theres smoke theres fire, or at least someone smoking a cigarette.

Or roasting Marshmellos... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Another thread about this!? 27_laughing.gif

foreheadslap.gif

Just like my old grandpappy useda say..."Cant have to many Hulk 181 threads!!" insane.gif

Hulk 181 9.2

sleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gif

Once more, proof that you cannot grade a book solely by it's scan. makepoint.gif

Call for the grader's notes - you will be surprised. cloud9.gif

Hi... instead of starting a new thread related to hulk 181... i thought id just post my hulk 181 related question here. Hopefully my question is spotted by a person who can answer my question.

This is regarding the marvel value stamp which this book has... I need to find out if my copy has this stamp intact... I don't really want to handle my book... so can anyone tell me where this stamp is located in the book?

thanks

thumbsup2.gif

Is your copy that high grade you are afraid to open it? confused.gif

my copy is a 7 atleast... i wouldn't say i'm afraid, but i would like to avoid opening it if possible.

Well, unless you have x-ray vision, you're gonna have to open it and leaf (carefully) through the pages. If your copy is a 7 you probably don't have to worry about damaging it. Unless you just changed the oil on your car and haven't washed up. And you HAVE to look, because if the stamp is gone, it ain't a 7 no more....

There's a 2-page Marvel Bullpen spread and it's there. I can't remember on the Hulk 181 if it appears mid-book or if it's at the end of the book.

Open that puppy up and let us know!

There's a 2-page Marvel Bullpen spread and it's there. I can't remember on the Hulk 181 if it appears mid-book or if it's at the end of the book.

I believe it is closer to mid-book (been a while since I sold mine) and it is on the right hand page.

Thanks for the info, i haven't gotten around to opening it up yet... by I will soon. I just get scared of getting tape stuck to the cover...

The stamp is past middle if I remember correctly. I had photographed mine so I thought I'd help out by looking at my pic for the page number. Unfortunately I was also concerned about opening the book too far so I took a pic of the stamp and didn't get the page number. Its a Shanna the She Devil stamp.

If you are concerned about tape then remove the tape from the bag entirely. Take it out of the equation. Note: The bag costs a whole lot less than the comic so if you have to injure the bag to gain access to the comic then so be it. Also a bronze age comic book isn't that fragile. Just take care handling it.

Mine is just beneath 9.0 (can you believe it was sold to me as a NM copy over a decade ago?). Seems I befell the fate so many of us did early on - taking comic book store grading standards as correct. Before I get flamed I just want to say there are many stores out there that work very hard to grade accurately and then for every one of those there are others that do not. Anyway I harbor no ill will I bought the book for far less than its worth now in its current shape!

Anyway I can understand you being nervous to check. I certainly was when I checked on the stamp. But you just have to know if the stamp is there or you won't sleep nights....