• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Hot" Moderns Whose Value Has Plummeted The Most?

128 posts in this topic

Bedlam is interesting. New issue next week with a new artist. would be nice to see the new artist bring in more readership. Still too many variants as far as collecting goes

Too little too late in my opinion. So many poor choices were made with the book from and before the beginning. Too many variants, terrible artist to start book, very graphic material from get go, etc... Speculators are praying on any type of uptick cuz they got hosed on this book.

i agree that prices were way to high, but I disagree with two of your conclusions:

1.) That TSG is a $250 book without TV speculation. Name ANY modern book that is $250 without a movie or TV rumor. (Even at the peak of its early speculation, Thief of Thieves never got that high)

2.) That one can ignore the high prices set. In all things speculative (not just comics), people are always only willing to pay more than past prices, with the expectation of being able to sell for more later (if they so choose). I think people are crazy for paying over $1K for Walking Dead #1 9.8s, let alone over $2K. But as long as they believe that the future holds more value, it will continue climbing.

When a book (or any economic instrument) falls from a high and clearly shows it cannot reach that price again, a sentiment change occurs. People don't want to "invest" in something when there is a falling ceiling for future value. If anything, they wait to see how low it will go.

Before things like TSG or Revival 9.9 can recover from being over paid for, and having the bottom fall out, they need to find the floor, hit it, and then look to bounce off of it.

1) I meant TSG #1 in 9.8 is a $250 book now (without a TV deal in place, not necessarily without TV speculation). Even with the TV speculation at its lowest (now), the early issues of TSG still make a nice profit over cover and I think that's partly because of the low print run and the quality of the book. Before the TV pilot announcement, the earliest issues could be had for under cover. So my point is that it's unfair to say the book is totally tanking because in the larger picture, it's selling for more on the secondary market than it ever had before the TV pilot got announced. TV speculation helped bring in new readers, but at this point, the strength of the book and the fans who read the book are starting to become the main factor for its price point.

[This is similar to Chew (which I know we also disagree on). Right now, the chances of a TV show are slim at best, but the price remains relatively high/just slightly below its peak and it's because the print run of the #1 issue was low and it has a solid fan base that enjoys the quality of the book and are sustaining that price.]

2) In the case of Revival, I think you actually can ignore those 9.9 prices since they all went to a single buyer who got shilled into that price and/or overzealous. A 9.9 was never worth $900 except to one person so to say the current price of $300 means that the book is tanking is also unfair. If Hulk44 never existed, the book would be have been worth around $300, which is its price point now. For the TSG, the peak of 800+ lasted maybe a month with around a dozen people crazy enough to actuually pay that price. It's more of an artificial ceiling than say TWD, which has maintained a peak of over 1k for so long now.

1) I meant TSG #1 in 9.8 is a $250 book now (without a TV deal in place, not necessarily without TV speculation). Even with the TV speculation at its lowest (now), the early issues of TSG still make a nice profit over cover and I think that's partly because of the low print run and the quality of the book. Before the TV pilot announcement, the earliest issues could be had for under cover. So my point is that it's unfair to say the book is totally tanking because in the larger picture, it's selling for more on the secondary market than it ever had before the TV pilot got announced. TV speculation helped bring in new readers, but at this point, the strength of the book and the fans who read the book are starting to become the main factor for its price point.

[This is similar to Chew (which I know we also disagree on). Right now, the chances of a TV show are slim at best, but the price remains relatively high/just slightly below its peak and it's because the print run of the #1 issue was low and it has a solid fan base that enjoys the quality of the book and are sustaining that price.]

2) In the case of Revival, I think you actually can ignore those 9.9 prices since they all went to a single buyer who got shilled into that price and/or overzealous. A 9.9 was never worth $900 except to one person so to say the current price of $300 means that the book is tanking is also unfair. If Hulk44 never existed, the book would be have been worth around $300, which is its price point now. For the TSG, the peak of 800+ lasted maybe a month with around a dozen people crazy enough to actuually pay that price. It's more of an artificial ceiling than say TWD, which has maintained a peak of over 1k for so long now.

1.) I see, then I think we can agree on that. I agree with all of those points:

-TSG is still a $250 book because of remaining hope that the pilot might still get picked up.

-It is still way up from where it was before.

-It has much more exposure and readership now.

The only point I was trying to add to that, was that I dont believe long term it can hold on to even the $250 value. I see some people trying to justify it as, "just because of the exposure, and high quality material, it will stay high". That, I don't accept. If news came out tomorrow, "actors and directors have moved on, pilot thrown in dumpster", it would be a $100 book at best. Which would still be way up from previous, and still easy money for those who bought at cover (just a lot less sans tv boost).

As for Chew, my opinions on it have gotten me lots of grief for multiple years, but they are well known. I won't even touch it, other than to say, in my opinion, once a show fails to materialize, it is VERY difficult to have a second shot. There are always more books being optioned, etc.

2.) I agree one hundred percent regarding those sales being aberrations. Hulk was trying to corner the market on those, and paid steep premiums because of it. Once he got his 10 and was no longer going after the 9.9s, they have fallen back down to what people were paying for them last fall.

...tanked like TSG/Revival @9.9

It's a bit unfair to say these two books tanked or are tanking. In my opinion, these books never should have reached close to four figure sales in the first place and the ones that went for that much reflect irrational speculators instead of the value of the books.

For Revival, you can't compare anything to how much Hulk44 bought the #1 9.9s for. Those prices are complete outliers and he completely overpaid.

For TSG, the #1 raw cost less than cover before the pilot announcement. Because of the increased visibility and the new readers from the possible TV show, the #1 9.8 now sells for at least $250 (without a TV show in place). I'd say the book is finding success rather than tanking. Speculators were absolutely nuts for ever buying the book for $800+ in the first place (and that's coming from as big of a fan of the series as there can be).

and $800 to $250 is the definition of tanking when you are asking about value not artistic merit

1.) I see, then I think we can agree on that. I agree with all of those points:

-TSG is still a $250 book because of remaining hope that the pilot might still get picked up.

-It is still way up from where it was before.

-It has much more exposure and readership now.

The only point I was trying to add to that, was that I dont believe long term it can hold on to even the $250 value. I see some people trying to justify it as, "just because of the exposure, and high quality material, it will stay high". That, I don't accept. If news came out tomorrow, "actors and directors have moved on, pilot thrown in dumpster", it would be a $100 book at best. Which would still be way up from previous, and still easy money for those who bought at cover (just a lot less sans tv boost).

As for Chew, my opinions on it have gotten me lots of grief for multiple years, but they are well known. I won't even touch it, other than to say, in my opinion, once a show fails to materialize, it is VERY difficult to have a second shot. There are always more books being optioned, etc.

2.) I agree one hundred percent regarding those sales being aberrations. Hulk was trying to corner the market on those, and paid steep premiums because of it. Once he got his 10 and was no longer going after the 9.9s, they have fallen back down to what people were paying for them last fall.

For the most part, I agree with everything here (thumbs u

It's a bit unfair to say these two books tanked or are tanking. In my opinion, these books never should have reached close to four figure sales in the first place and the ones that went for that much reflect irrational speculators instead of the value of the books.

For Revival, you can't compare anything to how much Hulk44 bought the #1 9.9s for. Those prices are complete outliers and he completely overpaid.

For TSG, the #1 raw cost less than cover before the pilot announcement. Because of the increased visibility and the new readers from the possible TV show, the #1 9.8 now sells for at least $250 (without a TV show in place). I'd say the book is finding success rather than tanking. Speculators were absolutely nuts for ever buying the book for $800+ in the first place (and that's coming from as big of a fan of the series as there can be).

and $800 to $250 is the definition of tanking when you are asking about value not artistic merit

Did you read any of the rest I wrote :facepalm:

terrible artist to start book, very graphic material from get go, etc...

I wonder if they said that about TWD? I'll go on record as saying that TWD is equally as graphic as Bedlam.

(1) death of Glenn scene

(2) decapitation of the girls in the prison

(3) Carl getting shot in the face

I could go on... Just sayin'

terrible artist to start book, very graphic material from get go, etc...

I wonder if they said that about TWD? I'll go on record as saying that TWD is equally as graphic as Bedlam.

(1) death of Glenn scene

(2) decapitation of the girls in the prison

(3) Carl getting shot in the face

I could go on... Just sayin'

Glenn dies?!?! :o

:gossip: I'm on the first Compendium.

I liked Riley's art! (shrug)

Did you read any of the rest I wrote :facepalm:

yes, who cares why it hit the heights it hit? tell the people that shelled out $900 that it hasn't tanked.