• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much do white pages add to value?

123 posts in this topic

I am sure this has been a thread at some point, but I thought I would ask the question.

When thinking of a silver age book (particularly in a given key), how much value do you give to White Pages?

Any difference in your opinion between DC and Marvel?

hm

I will start it off. Personally I attribute solid value to white pages when looking for a book within a given grade.

For example, I would value a 3.0 with completely white pages over a 3.0 with off-white or worse pages (all other things being equal).

Where I struggle is from a monetary standpoint. Should it be worth/sell for 10% more, 20% more, or even >30% more? Or is it just another personal preference of which "flaws" one could accept in a lower graded book; similar to writing on the cover or prioritizing a clean front versus a back.

My guess is +10% is probably fair on any major or minor key until you get to very high grades (>9.0) where all betting is off on relative value.

Thoughts?

I think most will give a premium for white pages of some kind (even if only, say, 5%), but the real variable is how hard is that book in white pages?

for example, Hulk 181s in high grade - they're not hard to find with white pages

Brave and BOld 28, on the other hand - supposedly only one white pages copy on the census!!

I would say it's more important for the silver age than bronze or newer, and more important for DC than marvel (because of being harder to find).

I have in the past at times attached a premium to white pages (10-15%). However, as I liberate the books from their slabs, I have been disappointed in the whiteness of some books :sumo: -- and am now a little gunshy in attaching the said premium. I look very closely at the whiteness of the covers and at the exposed paper stock -- not scientific but maybe reasonable due diligence.

To me white pages is in some ways another aspect of buying the label and not the book. If no one cracks the slab, who will ever know?

I am a PQ collector and definitely apply a premium to PQ, with the percentage depending on the particular book and the age of the comic.

For example, I recently purchased an early (1950), higher-grade (CGC'd), EC horror book with bone white pages at a +20% premium and felt comfortable doing so.

I'd be more amenable to paying a percentage (say 5% to 10%) for early white paged SA DC's, not so much for SA Marvels (white paper being tougher on the SA DC's).

Finally, white pages may not only factor into price but often my decision whether I really want to buy the book or not - I'd much rather have a nicely presenting mid-grade copy with white pages than a higher grade copy that's cream.

PQ is not a huge deal for me, with the exception of the lower end. I don't prefer 'cream' or lower, but that's just me. I think 'white' PQ is an added bonus (my FF48 has white pages), but not a big part of my decision to buy or added value when and if I sold it. 2c

Sad to say that CGC can not come up with a consistent guide to follow when it comes to page quality. It seems to be an automatic change upon a resub to get back a totally different PQ. White pages is nice but on any given day it's OWW. Until cgc can get it right, PQ is almost meaningless and one shouldn't pay extra for white pages

Really depends on what it is. If I'm buying a Hulk 1, I would not mind paying another 1000 to get the one with white pages. Besides if I'm going to throw down 9 or 10K for a book, what's another 1000? Cracks me up how collectors will pass on a book they are looking for and are willing to spend 3, 4, 5K+ on a book then pass on it because they didn't want to spend an extra $100.00.

Up to 20% or more pending the book. 50s DC is much tougher to find with ow or better pages. White pages are very tough on say a Showcase 22. Compared to SA marvel counterparts which are easier to get with nice PQ. AF15 seems to be the standout SA marvel key that is tougher with white pq compared to other marvel keys.

If I'm buying a Hulk 1, I would not mind paying another 1000 to get the one with white pages.

Hulk 1 seems to be a book that usually has nice PQ - is this common for that issue?

The book is so pricey as is, I personally would not pay a premium if nice PQ is the norm.

Sad to say that CGC can not come up with a consistent guide to follow when it comes to page quality. It seems to be an automatic change upon a resub to get back a totally different PQ. White pages is nice but on any given day it's OWW. Until cgc can get it right, PQ is almost meaningless and one shouldn't pay extra for white pages

Exactly,well said my friend. :applause: For me cream to off white and up is just fine for me.

If I'm buying a Hulk 1, I would not mind paying another 1000 to get the one with white pages.

Hulk 1 seems to be a book that usually has nice PQ - is this common for that issue?

The book is so pricey as is, I personally would not pay a premium if nice PQ is the norm.

for being "tough" relatively for a Marvel key, nice PQ is not uncommon. AF15s are much tougher to get with nicer PQ than Hulk 1s. That said, a $1000 premium on a white page Hulk 1 might be a stretch for me. It had better be chip free if I was going to pay that premium.

The same can be said for the grade, a resubmit usually yields a different grade and on any given day a 9.6 can be a 9.8 yet we pay more for the 9.8. Assuming the pages are White, it definitely deserve a premium. White pages are the pinnacle of preservation.

Looking for opinions here people, not just views!

rantrant

:facepalm:

Come on...I always expect a reply within 5 minutes of posting a question. Anything over that is unacceptable. lol

White pages are nice I guess...but I am not going crazy to find only white pages copies....and will not pay over GPA for them either. I just stay away from brittle pages...other then that....comic is a comic is a comic.

I'll pay a premium for WHITE page SA Marvel. I'll pay a premium for OW/W page SA DC. SA DC PQ is just alot more difficult to come by that their SA Marvel counterparts.

And the comment regarding PQ varies at CGC by the day is totally true. There are many examples of this. Below is just one. Same book, different day...

7633915980_e1f21049b3_z.jpg8726193019_d2a25391ea_z.jpg

I don't mind Cream pages if the cover is white...... but White page CGC's seem to find much less price resistance from what I've seen..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u