• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, Marvel needs more money. What should they do?

Would you buy Color Reprints of Marvel SA and BA?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy Color Reprints of Marvel SA and BA?

9 posts in this topic

Maybe they should reprint FF 1-200, Amazing Spider-man 1-200, X-men 1-143 (minus the already reprinted issues), Hulk 1-6, 102-182, JIM 83-125, TOS 39-100, TTA 27-101, Tomb Of Dracula 1-70 (in color) etc... I know I would be buying them up. After all these years they have only reprinted FF and Spidey up to issues 60 or 70. To me it would be a better option than re-booting current series to gain revenue.

They're already doing that, at least with AS, Uncanny X-Men, Daredevil, Avengers, and FF. Softcover versions of the Masterworks series for $12.95. For some reason, though, they are exclusive to Barnes & Noble, AFAIK. While they probably might sell well on release, the revenue stream wouldn't really compare with what comes in from monthly books and whatever gimmicks they have there. I wonder how the Dark Horse Thomas/BWS books sell compared to the Busiek/Nord series.

I could be wrong, though. Today I was speaking with my LCS owner about the Jack Kirby Jimmy Olson TPB and he said it sold surprisingly well for him, selling out three times, and he just got in a new shipment recently, with a new volume is due in October. There is growing evidence of the importance of keeping as much material as possible in print (re: Cerebus, Preacher, Sandman, etc.) as they not only keep some money coming in from work already done, but also lure in new readers. While keeping the beginning of a series in print is important (I've got AF 15 in at least 3 different reprints), keeping more of the story would be good, too. And the more obscure titles would be good, too, that have maybe never been reprinted.

The back issues are being sold on CD on eBay...(although, I wonder about the legality!!) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Plz clarify if u mean Marvel should reprint them as monthly saddle-stitched comics or repackaged like 100 pg squarebound newsprint comics? I like the latter. More reading pleasure for your $6.99 suggested retail. confused-smiley-013.gif

I was thinking in terms of both hardcover and softcover re-printing 10 comics in the series at a pop. I know Barnes and Noble are doing some reprinting, but once again they are only reprinting the first 30 or so issues (very slowly). I think they should print and release 1-200 at the same time. I also hate the black and white Marvel essentials. If they made them in color I would pick them up. I would also still collect the originals, but it would be nice to have a full set of Spidey reprints you can read and enjoy without worrying about condition. Even a low-grade readers collection of Spidey and FF are too much money for most people.

Marvel is expanding the Masterworks program for their HC series (new volumes are due out later this year) and the plan is basically to reprint all of the current volums of masterworks into SC B/N versions -- but we'll see. It mostly depends on sales, and if there's enough demand for the current issues, then it'll get done.

The Masterworks and Archives already cover the idea we're talking about, as do the Essentials, so I think Marvel is already on board with your idea.

It mostly depends on sales, and if there's enough demand for the current issues, then it'll get done.

The Masterworks and Archives already cover the idea we're talking about, as do the Essentials, so I think Marvel is already on board with your idea.

I don't know about Archives, but Masterworks have only reprinted a very few issues of the total runs on Spidey, FF etc...(like up to issues 60 or 70). Personally, I think if they have to depend on sales of comics they have already re-printed in numerous different fomats to determine if they will reprint Spidey issues #60-200 it is never going to happen. Most people that want those probably already bought the Masterworks or other formats 1-60 that have been reprinted. Therefore, the sales of those issues in a new format probably aren't going to be too strong. Once you get into the the late silver age and early bronze age most of those haven't been reprinted (at least not in color). If I am wrong, please point to me to where I can get Spidey or FF #s 60-200 in a Masterworks or B&N softcover format. I would buy them in a heartbeat.