• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats your take on the comic shops that limit the number of books you can BUY??

122 posts in this topic

What is your opinion on the comic book shops that limit the number of books you can buy?

This has recently been happening to me with a few different shops that I frequent. Ill go into a store see a few copies of the same issue that I want, so I grab 3-5 and when I get to the counter im told "Sorry its one per customer".

To me a comic book shop is a store that makes their money by selling a product. The more product you sell the more money you make.

I understand that the shop owners want there to be copies for their regulars ect but have them go on a pull list and youll ensure they get their copy, why would you intentionally limit the quantity you can sell? Is it within the stores rights to not allow you to walk out with a nice stack of 20 image # 1s?

Whats are your opinions?

The subscriber copies should never hit the store shelves. Some stores put subscriber copies on the shelf first which is messed up. I don't think a store should limit copies once they hit the shelves. If they sell out... great. That's an incentive for customers to read Previews and pre-order their comics.

DG

Loyal customer, walking into their LCS:

"Hey, do you have any copies of Hot Comic #1 left? It just came out today, and I don't see it anywhere..."

LCS guy - "Nope, some guy just bought all 50 of my copies on the shelf."

Loyal Customer - "Well, I really wanted one, why sell all your copies to one person the day it comes out?"

LCS guy - "money walks..."

Loyal Customer - "Me too - to the comic shop on the other side of town, where I am going to start a pull-list. Please cancel my subscription here." *walks out*

:shrug:

-slym

lol

What is your opinion on the comic book shops that limit the number of books you can buy?

This has recently been happening to me with a few different shops that I frequent. Ill go into a store see a few copies of the same issue that I want, so I grab 3-5 and when I get to the counter im told "Sorry its one per customer".

To me a comic book shop is a store that makes their money by selling a product. The more product you sell the more money you make.

I understand that the shop owners want there to be copies for their regulars ect but have them go on a pull list and youll ensure they get their copy, why would you intentionally limit the quantity you can sell? Is it within the stores rights to not allow you to walk out with a nice stack of 20 image # 1s?

Whats are your opinions?

The subscriber copies should never hit the store shelves. Some stores put subscriber copies on the shelf first which is messed up. I don't think a store should limit copies once they hit the shelves. If they sell out... great. That's an incentive for customers to read Previews and pre-order their comics.

DG

"Hey, do you have any copies of Hot Comic #1 left? It just came out today, and I don't see it anywhere..."

Loyal Customer - "Well, I really wanted one, why sell all your copies to one person the day it comes out?"

Loyal Customer - "Me too - to the comic shop on the other side of town, where I am going to start a pull-list. Please cancel my subscription here." *walks out*

-slym

I would ask "Did you pre-order it?" If he says "no", I'd say "First Come. First Served."

Why should a customer expect a store to save a product for them without any fore-knowledge that they want it? The store is in business to sell stock, not sit on it just in hopes their other customers will want it.

The only time a grocery store limits the number of items you buy is when they have to honor an ad or when they want to limit their losses if they are selling an item at cost or below ("a loss leader"). If I go to a grocery store and empty the shelf on frozen pizza's the manager will smile and take my money.

DG

Whats are your opinions?

DG

-slym

I would ask "Did you pre-order it?" If he says "no", I'd say "First Come. First Served."

Why should a customer expect a store to save a product for them without any fore-knowledge that they want it? The store is in business to sell stock, not sit on it just in hopes their other customers will want it.

The only time a grocery store limits the number of items you buy is when they have to honor an ad or when they want to limit their losses if they are selling an item at cost or below ("a loss leader"). If I go to a grocery store and empty the shelf on frozen pizza's the manager will smile and take my money.

DG

By actively limiting copies of 'hot' books, selling for cover price & keeping regular and casual customers satisfied - that is a loss leader scenario.

Whats are your opinions?

DG

-slym

DG

Obviously you've missed your calling. You should start up a comic shop and reap the rewards of being smarter than the people currently running them.

Whats are your opinions?

DG

-slym

And I would say "you just lost a loyal & repeat customer, as that is a thing to say to one."

DG

Comparing a collectible to a consumable product is laughable. They constantly make pizzas and the store knows they will get more. Can you say the same about every comic?

Again, no one says that a LCS cannot do this - but it is a "bad business practice" to do so.

-slym

Any store worth anything would hold back copes if they even had a hint a loyal customer might want it. I quit subscribing to comics in 2000. For the next few years, I would walk in and the store owner would say "I ordered this for you. You don't have to buy it." I'd look at it in most cases and say "Wow! That is definitely something I want." and he'd make an extra sale. In other cases I'd say, "Nah! I don't care for the art/story/colors (whatever)." and he'd put it on the shelf for someone else. Any comics on the shelf should be fair game. If I wanted 5 of something and the retailer would only sell me 2, you can bet I'd shop elsewhere. If my money isn't any good in his store, he doesn't deserve any of it.

DG

Whats are your opinions?

DG

-slym

Well first, I can't imagine they'd mention that one person bought al their copies. Second, I'm pretty loyal to my store. I usually hear about a good read a few days later hear on the boards or on reviews. I email them first, and if they've run out than so be it. I'm loyal to my store though.

I can understand not being loyal, but I've gone to the same store for 20+ years.

Any store worth anything would hold back copes if they even had a hint a loyal customer might want it. I quit subscribing to comics in 2000. For the next few years, I would walk in and the store owner would say "I ordered this for you. You don't have to buy it." I'd look at it in most cases and say "Wow! That is definitely something I want." and he'd make an extra sale. In other cases I'd say, "Nah! I don't care for the art/story/colors (whatever)." and he'd put it on the shelf for someone else. Any comics on the shelf should be fair game. If I wanted 5 of something and the retailer would only sell me 2, you can bet I'd shop elsewhere. If my money isn't any good in his store, he doesn't deserve any of it.

DG

No offense, but I'd imagine he holds a pile of books and does that to all his familiar faces.

My LCS gave out copies of USM 1 for free trying to entice everyone to read it. When he ran out, he ordered a bunch more to give out. He got a bunch of white ones in, and didn't realize what they were. He just started giving them out. He later realized. I wish he'd given me one of the white ones :sorry: It'd look much nicer than my 9.8 signed by Bagley. Still amazed that book hit a 9.8. I must have read it 10+ times.

Why would you want so many copies of the same book? ..new books are order 3 months in advance so I can see why most shops put a limit on things to make sure MORE people get to read the book and keep buying to read the story if they like it, also it will help them know how many to order of #2's and #3's , which would be hard to tell if they sold all their copies to one guy ( which i still cant see why someone would want to do that)...

so i wouldnt see it as a "my money not good here" as i would see it as "im mad i cant make money on something"

Whats are your opinions?

DG

-slym

And I would say "you just lost a loyal & repeat customer, as that is a thing to say to one."

DG

Comparing a collectible to a consumable product is laughable. They constantly make pizzas and the store knows they will get more. Can you say the same about every comic?

Again, no one says that a LCS cannot do this - but it is a "bad business practice" to do so.

-slym

A store does not owe their customer a shot at a shelf copy. They should use sales data to predict what their customers will want. If they sell out on every Image #1, they should adjust future orders accordingly. The whole purpose of Previews is so a customer can communicate to the store what they want and have it available. Collectibles do sell out. I drove to every store in Atlanta buying up Valiant when it was hot in the 90's. I never had one store tell me a comic wasn't for sale. I'm the only reason some stores even restocked Valiant after it sold out. These speculators might just be the reason the competing store is even willing to order ANY extra copies. Good for them. It helps the publisher. It helps Diamond. It helps the health of the industry.

DG

Most stores have four types of customers...those with pull lists, those that come in regularly and buy new releases from the shelves, the random walk-ins...and the speculators who scour the state looking to buy up every copy of Arseman #7 (1st appearance of The Wiper) from every store within a 750 miles radius so that they can 'corner the market'.

To keep your business healthy and frequently visited, you need to ensure that the first two are always looked after. To do so, you need to ensure that there are sufficient copies of Arseman #7 to go around all of them...and if there are any left, you can cater to the speculators.

I'd suggest limiting a 'hot' book for two weeks - giving your regulars plenty of time to check it out and buy it if they want - and then anybody can have as many copies as they like.

Obviously you've missed your calling. You should start up a comic shop and reap the rewards of being smarter than the people currently running them.

(worship)

To OP

Think of it this way.

You heard a comic is hot. You rush out to buy all of them. Chances are others have heard it's going to be hot too. The store has regulars that come in every week, and the owner knows they'll buy them. However, their job, spouse, whatever, prevents them from being at the store first. Should the owner not hold copies by limiting quanties for them? Of course he should. Flip side of the coin. The owner goes over and takes all the remaining copies off the shelf after you leave. They sell them for big profits. By going into the store and trying to buy them all at once you've done the work for the owner. Go in, buy one. Put it in your bike rack. Then go back in and say you just dropped it, and buy another. Put it in your bike rack. Go back in and say you sneezed on it, but a third. Add to pile in bike rack. Go back in and try to buy the rest. Pedal home happy.

Whats are your opinions?

DG

-slym

DG

By actively limiting copies of 'hot' books, selling for cover price & keeping regular and casual customers satisfied - that is a loss leader scenario.

Why are the customers too inept to know what they want in advance? Any shop I've ever shopped at made it a point to educate and inform their customers to maximize sales. I stopped into a store on Saturday. The manager hasn't seen me in the shop in 8 months. The first question asked was "Are you buying anything?" The same person saw me at a comic show a month ago and said "I always like to see what you are buying." and asked to look at the comic in my hand.

I'm baffled by stores that are too inept to know what their customers will want.

DG

Suppose I'm a shop owner and hear a good buzz about a book. I order 20 copies over my subscription orders.

I can

1) sell them all to the first person who wants them all

2) limit it to one per customer for the first few days.

Which one will get me more sales for issue 2 and going onward?

If I believe a book is under-ordered by my base, I have an obligation to myself to do whatever I can to keep my base shopping at my store, not going elsewhere looking for a book I had the foresight to order.

That would be option 2.

Comic shops count on their pull list subscribers. Those are the sales they know are going to happen, and can plan their bills on. They make every effort to get their customers to subscribe and pre-order books.

But how does the average customer add books to their pull list? By sampling new stuff, liking it, and then adding it to their pull list.

They're limiting you from buying all their copies, because they want their other customers to have a chance to read it, like it, and then add it to their pull list. When stores sell all their #1's of the hot speculator pick of the week to one guy, other customers don't get to read it. So guess what? They aren't going to buy and read #2, or #3, etc.... because they missed the first issue. They are thinking long term, not on the quick sale.

And if the argument is that regular customers should have pre-ordered their books, well then WTF aren't you the speculator pre-ordering as well. :facepalm:

Why are the customers too inept to know what they want in advance? Any shop I've ever shopped at made it a point to educate and inform their customers to maximize sakes. I stopped into a store on Saturday. The manager hasn't seen me in the shop in 8 months. The first question asked was "Are you buying anything?" The same person saw me at a comic show a month ago and said "I always like to see what you are buying." and asked to look at the comic in my hand.

I'm baffled by stores that are too inept to know what their customers will want.

DG

Exactly! If someone wants 100 copies, they should order them in advance.

Whats are your opinions?

DG

-slym

DG

Why are the customers too inept to know what they want in advance? Any shop I've ever shopped at made it a point to educate and inform their customers to maximize sales. I stopped into a store on Saturday. The manager hasn't seen me in the shop in 8 months. The first question asked was "Are you buying anything?" The same person saw me at a comic show a month ago and said "I always like to see what you are buying." and asked to look at the comic in my hand.

DG

If you hadn't been in the store in 8 months, I can easily explain why I'd tell you to go fist yourself when you brought your 10 copies of "Purple Peter Pounder #1" to the counter.

I'd like to add, you cannot always get re-orders. For a Marvel or DC book, probably (key word) but let's use TWD #1 as an example: I wonder how many stores re-ordered that one, and how many got any?

hm

-slym