• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats your take on the comic shops that limit the number of books you can BUY??

122 posts in this topic

What is your opinion on the comic book shops that limit the number of books you can buy?

This has recently been happening to me with a few different shops that I frequent. Ill go into a store see a few copies of the same issue that I want, so I grab 3-5 and when I get to the counter im told "Sorry its one per customer".

To me a comic book shop is a store that makes their money by selling a product. The more product you sell the more money you make.

I understand that the shop owners want there to be copies for their regulars ect but have them go on a pull list and youll ensure they get their copy, why would you intentionally limit the quantity you can sell? Is it within the stores rights to not allow you to walk out with a nice stack of 20 image # 1s?

Whats are your opinions?

If you wanted 5 copies, you should have ordered them.

The comic store is in business for their customers. You're obviously cherry picking on something you've heard will go up in value.

By limiting you to a copy, they still have them in stock when their regular monthly pull customers stop in to buy one, which keeps them happy.

Unfortunately for you, the regular joe that buys books from them every week keeps their doors open.

The speculator stopping in every few months when they hear of some hot book does not.

This is why they limit your purchase.

That is interesting, I have not encountered that before. Not that I've bought multiple copies in a store lately though. My only LCS has a habit of being rough with their new comics, so I usually go there to pick up my reader copies.

The comic store is in business for their customers. You're obviously cherry picking on something you've heard will go up in value.

By limiting you to a copy, they still have them in stock when their regular monthly pull customers stop in to buy one, which keeps them happy.

Unfortunately for you, the regular joe that buys books from them every week keeps their doors open.

The speculator stopping in every few months when they hear of some hot book does not.

Its not easier to have the regulars on pull lists and save them a copy or two and let the rest of the product fly out the door?

Its not easier to have the regulars on pull lists and save them a copy or two and let the rest of the product fly out the door?

:gossip:

And for the titles you don't hear about until a week before their released, those are a little harder to order, but I see your point.

And for the titles you don't hear about until a week before their released, those are a little harder to order, but I see your point.

If you were a regular, meaning you had a dozen or more books on your pull list every month OR you stopped in once or twice a month to drop $100-200, I'll bet the owner would have sold however many of the book that you wanted.

Unfortunately for you, the regular joe that buys books from them every week keeps their doors open. The speculator stopping in every few months when they hear of some hot book does not.

That was a lesson many shops learned the hard way in the 90s. Hope history doesn't repeat itself. :wishluck:

But, does it put a stop to speculators, in earnest? Or does it just make it a little more difficult, meaning those types will have to drive to a few different shops to get what they want?

I guess, if the shops sell out of a hot book regardless, I imagine it is better for the shop overall to limit a book this way. Better to sell 1-3 copies to their loyal customers than 50 copies to 1 person they have either never seen before.

-slym

What is your opinion on the comic book shops that limit the number of books you can buy?

This has recently been happening to me with a few different shops that I frequent. Ill go into a store see a few copies of the same issue that I want, so I grab 3-5 and when I get to the counter im told "Sorry its one per customer".

To me a comic book shop is a store that makes their money by selling a product. The more product you sell the more money you make.

I understand that the shop owners want there to be copies for their regulars ect but have them go on a pull list and youll ensure they get their copy, why would you intentionally limit the quantity you can sell? Is it within the stores rights to not allow you to walk out with a nice stack of 20 image # 1s?

Whats are your opinions?

The subscriber copies should never hit the store shelves. Some stores put subscriber copies on the shelf first which is messed up. I don't think a store should limit copies once they hit the shelves. If they sell out... great. That's an incentive for customers to read Previews and pre-order their comics.

DG

Whats are your opinions?

The subscriber copies should never hit the store shelves. Some stores put subscriber copies on the shelf first which is messed up. I don't think a store should limit copies once they hit the shelves. If they sell out... great. That's an incentive for customers to read Previews and pre-order their comics.

DG

(thumbs u

Whats are your opinions?

DG

Loyal customer, walking into their LCS:

"Hey, do you have any copies of Hot Comic #1 left? It just came out today, and I don't see it anywhere..."

LCS guy - "Nope, some guy just bought all 50 of my copies on the shelf."

Loyal Customer - "Well, I really wanted one, why sell all your copies to one person the day it comes out?"

LCS guy - "money walks..."

Loyal Customer - "Me too - to the comic shop on the other side of town, where I am going to start a pull-list. Please cancel my subscription here." *walks out*

:shrug:

-slym

Unfortunately for you, the regular joe that buys books from them every week keeps their doors open. The speculator stopping in every few months when they hear of some hot book does not.

That was a lesson many shops learned the hard way in the 90s. Hope history doesn't repeat itself. :wishluck:

I'm glad there were speculators in the 90s. Many small indy companies were able to produce decent comics and make a profit. It allowed cool stuff to exist that would not have existed if it relied upon readers knowing about some comic they've never seen before.

DG