• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike Mignola

22 posts in this topic

Contemporaries I really believe in are Miller, Dan Clowes, the Hernandez brothers --maybe a few others. Mignola and Jae Lee are on the bubble for me, and in the same way, basically. Huge talents, but the work feels too pleasing; over-designed; more in the service of the page than in the service of the story. Mignola is maybe a little better on story, and Lee maybe takes more chances in his drawing, but I think they are both over-determining their styles and trying too hard to make each page a perfect graphic design.

This is a timely thread for me, as just today I got this page in the mail...

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1018457

:cloud9:

My take on Mignola is that for my generation (30+), he's a top tier talent. For me personally, he is one of the few artists I'll still pick up a book just because of his name - there are only 3-4 other talents I'll do that for.

I really enjoy his earlier works, like Cosmic Odyssey (obviously), all the way through to his early Hellboy stuff. I'm not that keen on his more recent blocky and less defined art. I'm guessing it's a speed thing that is the reason for the style change due to all his writing and other responsibilities, but it doesn't do much for me. I was definitely disappointed when Duncan Fegredo stopped drawing Hellboy to make way for Mike. Duncan seemed to really deliver on the early Hellboy visuals, while still being true to his own style.

Anyway, hope you enjoy my new art - always interested in getting more Mignola art - Hellboy or otherwise!

Simon