• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Theagenes's Golden Age Conan Comics

31 posts in this topic

I just post a groupshot in the cigar thread of a collection of rare Mexican Conan comics, the earliest of which date to 1952. The story behind these curious books and their discovery by American fandom is an interesting one. Many of these had never been seen in the states until just a few years ago. I thought I'd use this thread to post some of these books. But for those who are interested, here's an essay I wrote last year for REHupa and just revised for my blog.

http://www.anageundreamedof.com/2013/05/la-reina-de-la-costa-negra-mystery-of.html

Conan first appeared in 1952 in a series called "La Reina de la Costa Negra" (Queen of the Black Coast) loosely based on the Robert E. Howard story of the same name. The series first ran in a 1952 weekly Mexican anthology comic called Cuentos de Abuelito (Grandfather's Stories). It debuted in number 8 and ran until number 61 in 1953. The main protagonist is Conan's pirate lover Belit, not Conan himself. Also Conan was depicted depicted as a blond viking.

The earliest issue I have is 18.

uuFdNLC.jpg

Absolutely fantastic blog post. I love these discovery stories, and this one is all the better because it's Conan. I especially like the idea that there's a Conan comic that predates the Marvel series.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys. What's really amazing is that some of these were not known to exist until a couple of years ago. And some of the issues I'm posting here have never been shown before until now. There are still some issues which are not even known to have any surviving copies. I'll get some more scanned soon.

Next week is Robert E. Howard Days in Cross Plains, TX and the theme is REH in the Comics. I'll be taking this new collection there to display and I'm going to be on a panel with Tim Truman discussing the history of REH comics. Should be a lot of fun.

I'll add some more later. You can see these were cheaply-made books with poor production values. Newsprint covers, miscuts, miswraps, poor registration, etc. It's amazing any of these survive honestly.

I'll add some more later. You can see these were cheaply-made books with poor production values. Newsprint covers, miscuts, miswraps, poor registration, etc. It's amazing any of these survive honestly.

They need to produce more comics like this now. I'd collect like crazy to encourage a return to affordable and entertaining "cheap reads". Lord knows there are enough genres and storylines under-represented in the marketplace today.