• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it worth it?

8 posts in this topic

Yes, but only to me.

This book will never be worth anything to anybody except me. I decided to get all my New Mutants graded regardless of what they would attain. So far, the lowest grade is a 4.5 SS and the best of them I pulled off the racks was a 9.8. The two most sought after issues both are graded a 9.6.

After originally having my issue fifteen graded, it returned a 4.5, a grade that surprised me for no other reason then it was probably my most read book. I knew it wouldn't be above a five but I thought it would be closer to a 3.5. After turning it over to get signed by Chris Claremont it returned a 4.5. It might have received a one point increase for the registry.

Today I am on my way to Wizard World. Stan Lee will not be there today, but he will be there on Friday for signings and photo ops. I plan on getting another picture with him in my hometown. This will make four and although it will never surpass the first one I took, it will add to it. The signature on my book will be taken care of by someone else. But why have Stan Lee sign a book he had absolutely NOTHING to do with.

I have a goal. On the first page of issue fifteen is a list of names who are credited one way if the other, Stan Lee is listed as "Presentor", and Bob McLeod also listed as "created by", and since I already have Chris Claremont on the cover, what's two more even if they has nothing to do with this book, and while I am at it, why not have it personalized. I'll have a picture as soon as possible. Now, the next person will have to be Sal Buscema.

Oh and the cost is right there next to my father saying "what are you F...ing nuts...for a comic book?"

Thanks for reading

Tnerb

Random photo below

13746.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

No, the picture is from a Philadelphia institution known as Eastern State Penitentiary. It was closed in 1971 and has been reopened as a type of museum. It's a great place to go for a day. This particular picture was taken of a cell where an artist was allowed to show his vision. He meticulously patterned the ceiling into forms and lowered them with fishing line and hooks. This happens to be from my collection of favorite photos I took of the place. The prison design was actually part of a contest back in the late eighteen hundreds. At least eighty percent (I'd have to double check the number) of prisons all over the world were based on the radial design. When it was first opened, foreign signatories would come over to look at the design and copy it. I recommend going if ever in the philadelphia area.

Thank you for taking the time out to read what I have to say. I'll probably have a lot to write about this weekend.

That depends entirely on how you define 'worth'.

To me, the experience alone is worth it - as for New Mutants 15, only you know its true value.

Enjoy your day!

And try not to muck up my book, ok?

Lee

I enjoy subbing my early ASMs acquired during my "tween" collecting years, even though most generally are low- to mid-grade. In some cases, I still have the original, 30+ year-old price stickers that show my cost basis for the book: e.g., I paid my LCS $5 for an ASM #129 that was billed as "NM" (that came back a 7.0) and a dealer at a con $10 for an ASM #5 that was billed as "G" (that came back a 3.5 PLOD SA).

I think its great that most of us have some sort of attachment(other than money) to some of our books. It makes the stories told about them more interesting instead of I got this so it I can make a profit. Not that theres anything wrong with that.

I've gone and bought some random back issues just because I remember reading them as a kid and want it again since everythng I had back then disappeared into a black hole. Enjoy the con and I can't wait to see this book when you are finally done with it.