• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comicpalooza!

121 posts in this topic

Just back from a week in Houston and as I haven't noticed any reports on Comicpalooza in Gold, I thought I'd post one as it's the first convention I've attended in the US in 20 years.

It was really great to hook up with some fellow boardies and put names to the faces. In addition to Mr Bedrock, c-mack and Straw man (who came with his son, Bill), who I already knew, DavidMerryweather was there with his lovely wife Roxanne, who seemingly spent most of the weekend dashing from one book signing to the next. For those of you who don't know she is the writer Rachel Caine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Caine

He and Richard teamed up on the Friday to run a hilarious panel with all the gravitas I thought of Rowan and Martin. I got to meet Weird Paper for the first time also, which was really cool!

As you'd expect, Bedrock City were set up, as were Graham Crackers, Weird Paper and Harley Yee. Lots of great Gold and Silver books to be had, and thanks to Richard and Roger I lucked into some really great books (thanks guys!). Scans below!

We were all invited by Richard and Tracy to a really super party at Richard's house. All the geeks came over, as did Billy's cousin, and Tracy's friends from the shop. There was much hilarity when Billy tried his darndest to tell a Boudreaux joke Jamie hadn't heard. Sorta like Clash of the Titans. He finally found one Jamie wasnt familiar with and he valiantly tried to keep a poker face - but, naaah - he didnt quite make it. Nice try though.

Tracy already has my vote for woman of the year for working like a Trojan to make a crawfish dinner for 30 guests, and she and Billy Parker had us all in stitches cooking a couple of pans full of sausages Billy had thoughtfully brought over for us all.

Even Harley came, beaming from ear to ear as he handed me a can of Boddington's beer. Luckily I didn't get to open one. Cat did, and got a beer shower for his trouble! Hmmm, was that meant for me I wonder? hm

What really surprised me is that it was a much larger and more vibrant show than I'd been led to expect. Although the space was relatively large, it still felt crowded for pretty much the whole weekend, with lots going on.

My impression is that the general feeling among those attending was that this is a happening show that is really set to take off in future years, with the expectation that many more dealers will set up next year.

Here are some of the books I Iucked into (thank goodness you guys all stayed away or I'd never have been so fortunate!):

These four came from fellow boardie Roger - (Weird Paper). These are all 8.0/9.0, raw but tightly graded killer books

AirFightersV2280_zps8514dd13.jpg

BusterCrabbe590_zps9b67dd0d.jpg

TtrueCrimeComics265_zps329e3456.jpg

WorldWarIII185_zps2293a5dc.jpg

Then I managed to somehow talk Richard into trading this for a bunch of books I could just about live without - but then I have been nagging him about it for over a year!

DarkMysteries10CGC85_zps33636d3e.jpg

Thanks Richard - I am sooo pleased about that boook!

Roger's grade/price ratio was so solid, I went back for afters...

..this one has one of Frazetta's most highly rated stories in it...never seen a high grade copy before

PersonalLove3290_zpsab018d7b.jpg

plus a couple of very nicely priced Fawcett horror books...

BewareTerrorTales580_zps6ce567de.jpg

WorldsofFear380_zps403d4ab6.jpg

Then I managed to somehow talk Richard into trading this for a bunch of books I could easily live without - but then I have been nagging him about it for over a year!

Fantastic book Michael.

You never see this in ANY condition.

:applause:

I have to add that Michael picked up a copy of Black Cat 29 for me and Richard was kind enough to mail it. It was the last one I needed to complete my original Black Cat run, pre-Mystery. Michael told me about it AFTER he had already purchased. Mucho kudos for the act of kindness!

A few people are going to be very jealous of the Dark Mysteries 10 very hard to find in nice condition (thumbs u

Well, I'd honestly rather there were plentiful copies so we could all have one - but then somebody other than you or I would just start hoarding them, probably.

Hey, now I've made a start maybe I'll do dat thing! lol

I have to add that Michael picked up a copy of Black Cat 29 for me and Richard was kind enough to mail it. It was the last one I needed to complete my original Black Cat run, pre-Mystery. Michael told me about it AFTER he had already purchased. Mucho kudos for the act of kindness!

Hey - I just bought the book - Richard did all the work so deserves most of the kudos!

Don't know why that issue should be scarcer, and that is why it stuck in my mind. Next stop Jungle #11!

Hey - I just bought the book - Richard did all the work so deserves most of the kudos!

Don't know why that issue should be scarcer, and that is why it stuck in my mind. Next stop Jungle #11!

:gossip::news:

Not set for a public announcement, though.

Then I managed to somehow talk Richard into trading this for a bunch of books I could easily live without - but then I have been nagging him about it for over a year!

Fantastic book Michael.

You never see this in ANY condition.

Thanks Ron - Boyd Rowden, who knows his PCH books - once told me he rated this among the ten scarcest pre-code horror books and while it's hard to be absolutely sure about that kind of thing, I do tend to agree in this case. Given the dark background showing all wear, you'd understand if it were scarce in high grade. Why it should be scarcer in all grades is, well, a mystery.

Also picked up a couple of sweet pulps from him:

FamousFantasticMysteries6_zps93e211d7.jpg

FamousFantasticMysteries7_zps85c7a5eb.jpg

Those "Famous Fantastic Mysteries" are ineffably beautiful, Michael.

First cover seems Virgil Finlay, but the second?

A. Merritt… :cloud9:

It's Frank Paul - his signature is just visible lower right.

Great report and some great pick ups , congrats.

Thank you very much - Cat had his camera out at one point and I'm hoping he'll post a few pictures as well as contribute a report!

:applause: [font:Times New Roman]Right you are!

Here's the sum total of images I was able to scrounge together from Comicpalooza to coincide with your impressions...

Rowan or Martin? hm Maybe a little of both, but we'll fine tune our routine for future shows.

ADB62D79-617E-4969-92E7-680548012633-143-0000083EF6238537_zps9c3b0db9.jpg

Captain America patrolling Bedrock City...

F89C5637-BB0A-44A6-AC36-F8A0415196FE-143-0000083EFD9C0918_zps9e209ab1.jpg

Straw-Man having just offended a very green Hulk. Well, he looks fuming! (shrug)

176ed807-b64c-4692-b153-5f97a38dfb7f_zps1fa6fca9.jpg

Former NY City mayor Ed Koch ...

tumblr_mhk4eluVUh1qzt8nwo1_250.jpg

...(or someone bearing a close resemblance) kickin' up a perfect storm of fen mayhem at Comicpalooza...

bfdf2bbe-2a1e-4655-bb12-cebcecf0f5bc_zps3cbb8e1d.jpg

A ghostly spirit from the haunted pub crawl (my intrepid spousal unit capturing what I do best)...

E0368FFF-B5E5-4636-9E5C-597F065AF790-1569-0000020FA5097FA8_zpsa0a77d93.jpg

5D577433-D7C4-4705-A43A-37233B27704F-1569-000002111490976B_zps19a962b5.jpg

Alas, there were no geisers on this trek (well, excluding me, but geezer is spelt differnt)! :insane:

[/font]